“Reality check - highly recomended”

Slum Walks In Delhi (Providing Education To Everyone)
Ranked #45 of 526 Tours in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: Ever interested in how people survive and live their life in slums? This walk is organised by a local NGO and registered non-profit organization called PETE India (Providing Education to Everyone). 100% of the proceeds go to support our projects. Participants will accompany a guide through the maze of small streets and alleys of a 5.5 hectare slum in West Delhi for 2 hours. He will show you how millions of people live their lives in the slums of Delhi each day. While in the slum, you'll have the opportunity (if you wish) to have traditional tea with a family during which they can share their personal story of survival and life in the slums. You will visit the three schools that your donations directly support and meet the students and teachers.The aim of this walk is not to "visit" or make poverty a "tourist attraction", but is to exchange experiences with people, allowing the locals a rare opportunity to interact with foreigners if they wish.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This tour gave me so much in so many ways. I highly recomend the Pete in India slum walk.

The guides are very friendly and helpful. They are also very flexible regardning what day and time to go. Just ask, and you will figure something out. Me and my friend got a tour for about 3,5 hour where we got to see a lot of the slum in Baba Faridpuri.

You haven't seen Delhi if you haven't seen this. It's a must-do when visiting Delhi.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

In short, it's not bad. You just need to have appropriate expectations going into it and do your homework.

I took a slum tour on Sep 21, 2012 after reading about the tour on TripAdvisor. I was on my own and joined a group of 2 others visiting from Australia. We went to an artists slum in Delhi. I felt safe, everyone was friendly, and this was the closest interaction I had my entire week with "real" Delhi. The way the tours were advertised on the site and the tour I got were two different things, so either ask lots of clarifying questions up front or be willing to go with the flow a bit. My only hesitation is that I didn't see evidence of a school or location for a planned school or any literature (besides the website) or plans or something that would make me feel comfortable that the money you're paying for the slum walk tour is actually going to fund something real. I would suggest that they still drive by whatever sites they have as the school(s) even if it is not operating at the time of the tour.

Total time for the tour ended up being about 3 hours.

There wasn't narrated story of sorts to help give some context to the tour (i.e. a quick overview with the history of the area to be visited, some more fluid narration as we went along). We kind of just showed up, learned along the way a few pieces of information, walked through the slums (that was probably the best part), saw a puppet show, met some really cute kids, tried some food, drank some hot chai tea, and that was it.

I think the tour operators need to consider the health risk of serving food and beverages on the tour and make it very clear if it is safe for non-native people to consume it and maybe even explain what precautions were taken to make sure it was safe for tourists. I was extremely nervous about drinking tea and tasting food prepared inside a slum in India. So many peoples eyes got very wide when I told them I did that. I will say that I did taste some food and drank some of the chai tea and did not get sick.

The end of the tour was really informal. We paid our guide at a cafe that also serves as the office, I guess. Then we sat there indefinitely until those of us on the tour made eye contact and hinted that it was time to go.

I was extremely grateful to the main tour guide at the time, Yogi, who drove me all around Delhi to about 2 or 3 different stores, one of which wasn't even open, to help me find a soccer jersey that I wanted as a souvenir. Yogi is a really nice guy, I had a lot of great conversations with him about life and culture and reflecting our travels that day. As a female, I felt completely safe with him even on my own. He didn't try to rip me off or drop me to any stores that I didn't ask for which seemed very common on other tours I took while in India.

Be prepared to tip the artists and potentially an additional tour guide along the way. It wasn't required, but it did sort of pop up as we left the slum.

I don't think I learned a lot, but I had a memorable, invaluable experience that I'll always treasure when I think back to my first trip to India.

1  Thank KicksLikeAGirl
PeteIndia, Public Relations Manager at Slum Walks In Delhi (Providing Education To Everyone), responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Namaste,
Our teacher husband who was also a guide for the slums unfortunately committed suicide due to family problems just couple of days ago when you took walk it was a shock for both family and for us as he was inspiring young person with dreams like others to do something in life for him and people like him.we mention you in advance about this unfortunate incident and school is closed till end of October before taking the tour by our guide to other slums where artists live.We also advice to you(among other travelers) during walk if "wish" to watch the puppet show,dance and singing by artists its good to give some money whatever you feel like to give to artists in their hands as a sense of gratitude as it makes them happy and support them too but if not feel like also then there is not also problem and nobody asked you during whole walk too.Indian Hospitality is famous all over the world and if guest goes to home (specially poor) they offer tea and snacks as part of their tradition as for them guest is god.We do have in mind about the hygiene conditions of the guests that's why we offer tea and snacks which would not be problem for the guests as you mentioned too in your ref and other guests was there on tour had it also didn't had problem Other people doing similar walks after we started are charging 3 to 6 times for similar walk then our contribution.During the tour you was explained by the guide about the population and culture of the people living there and what they do for living and ladies of one of the family made tea for you. we gave receipt for every walk we do and pay money to our guides and support our future projects like the one we are opening up of school along with music lessons in first week of Nov in artist slums.
Thanks for taking walk with us and we hope to see you again with a positive note and maybe as volunteer for our school on your revisit to India.
Kind regards
From
Pete

Reviewed October 16, 2012

When you visit Delhi, Main Bazaar you see so many things going on around you. All kind of flavours, colours and languages. And a lot of sun! After a month touring through Rajasthan, Amritsar, Dharamsala, Kasol and Rishikesh My friends and I came back to Delhi. Our Last day in India we finally had a chance to go to the slums.
We were picked up by John and went by rickshaw, to the artist's slum. Here we had a tour in this small city within the city. Many children all around you! They offered to play for us with their band. We sat down in a room, with an improvised light and a FAN the boys started playing their music and singing also. One man was explaining to us they were practising for shows. We enjoyed it a lot. We went to see how the puppets are made and were given a show aswell! A good reminder of India. Make sure you experience this!
Thanks to Shiva!

1  Thank marieke_sch
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I spent 3 months travelling through India earlier this year and ran into Pete by chance at the Brown Bread Bakery in Delhi during the last week of my trip. I had wanted to visit a slum since I arrived but the safety aspect held me back. Pete provided a safe, informative and eye opening slum walk experience and his honesty and integrity made it all the worthwhile.

This is not your standard tour - it's more of an experience and I highly recommend this to anybody interested in giving a helping hand to the often forgotten and shunned side of India.

2  Thank andy1985
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We took this 'tour' to learn and experience first hand the work of PETE(Providing Education To Everyone) and many thanks to Shiva for providing an opportunity to visit and interact with the people of this community, for in doing so two things can be achieved.
1) The 'tourist' gains an insight into the lives of people otherwise forgotten or hidden from mainstream society
2) The local people recieve direct grass root level funding to help improve their situation.

This is not 'voyuer tourism' for the more affluent to stare at the poor, it is an opportunity for the more fortunate to learn and be educated about a world other than their own, and in doing so they are directly helping fund the PETE (Providing Education To Everyone). A well deserving program that is working to educate the children within this community so that may help themselves to break the poverty cycle.
Hopefully many people will be moved by the good work of Shiva and PETE to make some sort of contribution/funding beyond the donation amount provided to participate in the 'tour'

Highly recommended.