“Double booked us - terrible experience”
Review of Hotel Namaskar

Hotel Namaskar
Ranked #533 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed October 11, 2012

First time in Delhi, we booked this place for our week long stay in the city. We received the confirmation email and an email asking if we would like an airport pick up. Of course, there was no car there for us when we arrived - I thought, no problem, let's just get a cab to the hotel. When we arrived they had no record of our booking even though we had the confirmation paper. They had no rooms for us. Disaster for us. REally poor organisation and hotel. Would advise AVOID.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joe_and_Marie

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had no problems whatsoever during our stay here, in contrast to what everyone else has said! We were travelling on a real budget, so were attracted to this place as it was one of the cheapest we could find (600 rupees for 4 people!). However, it turned out to be so good we ended up staying here 3 separate times on our return trips to Delhi! The staff were great, a father and two brothers who were always friendly and happy to help when you wanted it, especially the father who gave us loads of recommendations for what to do in Delhi and India. The rooms and beds were clean, they had en suite hot showers (not that we needed them!) and ceiling fans. They were basic, but then what do you need from your room when you're in one of the most exciting cities in the world. The location is obviously good, being just off the main tourist strip so a bit quieter, but still in the heart of the action.
Would highly recommend unless there has been a dramatic change since our stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jade W
Reviewed August 27, 2012

There are so many hotels in this area called Pahar Ganj, very close to the New Delhi railway station. Narrow street, you have to walk from the main street to reach at the reception, small reception area, I can say it is one of the budgeted hotel. People who are traveling in budget as back packers can stay there. Better to dine out side, there are so many small restaurants in main bazaar area. Counnaught place area is also around one kilometer from here. For small distances you can use cycle rickshaws.
Wishes!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Incrediblerealindia1
Reviewed August 6, 2012

On a recent trip to India (May/June 2012) I stayed at Hotel Namaskar on 4 separate occasions. This is budget accommodation so don't expect too much but personally I was quite happy with my experience. On the 4 occasions I stayed at Namaskar I had 4 different rooms of varying quality so if you are a little fussy I would suggest checking the room before you stay. Two of the rooms were not the cleanest I've seen & one of the bathrooms left a lot to be desired but I also had a completely renovated room on one occasion with a brand new bathroom & an a/c that worked very well. I had no need for hot water during my stay (it didn't get under 40c once) but if you think you will then I would check to see if this works first. I'd also suggest trying to avoid a room on the top floor if the weather is very hot.

I found the staff friendly & helpful when I needed them to be & especially so when I needed to organise travel outside of Delhi. The driver they organised for my trip to Agra was the best of my whole holiday in India & was arranged at short notice. I spoke no Hindi when I arrived in Delhi & only a little by the time I left but still managed to communicate well with staff. There was always someone who spoke at least a some English & anyone visiting a country where they don't speak the language should at least have a phrase book anyway.

I found the Wi-Fi service pretty good in each of the rooms I had. It cost about 100r p/day from memory & was provided by one of the nearby internet cafe's. If you ask the hotel staff they can direct where to go to get this organised. There are also several reasonably priced internet cafe's nearby some of which also provide meals.

The location is actually quite good in my opinion. A little side alley off the Main Bazaar kept me close enough to the activity but with just enough of a buffer. If you haven't visited Delhi before then you might be a little taken aback by Paharaganj & the area around the Main Bazaar but this is India so expect your western sensibilities to take a bit of a beating. This area is not very clean, has a slightly dodgy reputation by all accounts & can be a little confronting but I loved it.
I think everyone should stay at a hotel like Namaskar if they visit India. It is very cheap, a good place to meet other travellers & it certainly is a little challenging. Whilst most of the other Hotels I stayed at in India would be almost considered luxury relative to Namaskar I make no complaints. You get what you pay for & I found Namaskar to be good value.
I will be back in India for several months next year & will once again spend some of that time here.
(I am in the process of uploading some short video of some of my accommodation in India to my Flickr account. My Flickr name is potinmylungs)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Shane S
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Namaskar Hotel is still under construction. The standard very poor but prices not to high. You get what you paid for. Very helpfull manager especially in organizing trips for very reasonably priceses.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kartad
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was under renovation when we were there ---> no front door, just a sheet hanging over the entrance. Believe me this was the least of our worries.

The room, supposedly with AC which didn't work, was the worst I've seen. The walls were mouldy and crumbling, the bathroom was dirty and the water didn't work. The sheets were very questionable.. And the door couldn't be properly locked.

As you can imagine we promptly checked out in the morning and even though we had originally booked 3 nights, staff didn't ask us if anything was wrong etc..

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This was once suggested as a good place to stay, that is until they cottoned on to the fact that most travels have a copy- and put up their prices. The rooms are the most basic I have stayed in, and I have spent over 6 months in different parts of india. They are dirty and the bathroom was a 'shower' above the toilet. Yes, it is in a good location, but there are plenty more hotels.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!