“Where you meet the 2 brothers”
Review of Hotel Namaskar

Hotel Namaskar
Ranked #540 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Canada
“Where you meet the 2 brothers”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Namaskar is good for the price you pay. Close to all, including the train station and metro, and the 2 brothers have all the answers at your questions. The rooms are different so look and make your choice. They are average, sometime going down with Indian cleanness. Bed are comfortable and the staff is nice

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We booked a room in this guesthouse, got a re-confirmation on the same day, even a late check-out was possible. But when we arrived at midnight, the said they were full. Our names were on the list, but they sent us to another horrible place, wich they said had the same owner. No water, extremely dirty, toilet full of vommit.. I travelled several times in India for 6 months each time, but I never experienced so much unfriendliness. . Not worth to be in the Planet.

Room Tip: Go to Skyview guesthuse, the best cheap, clean guesthouse in Paharganj!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shanti T

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Barcelona
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I stayed here with friends twice in 1994 and 1996 so on my return to India with my BF I booked it more out of nostalgia than any expectation that it would be a top pick. It's down a small alleyway on Paharganj with urinals at the end which is less than charming but amusing if you like that Delhi-weirdness. There is a friendly internet cafe next door which also provides wifi for the hotel, but only when the power is on.
The staff are helpful, the laundry service good and cheap, and if you just need somewhere to sleep it is perfectly fine. Our room was on the top floor and rather tatty, somewhat grubby and damp but we were undercharged for it as they are in the middle of renovating and it was one of the last rooms not to be renovated.
Hot water available in the tiny bathroom.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor (floor 3) suffer from noise from the generator when the power goes off so avo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hat Yai, Thailand
Reviewed January 15, 2012

First, let's be clear: Namaskar is kinda dirty, and the rooms aren't particularly spacious or comfortable.

However, they're not particularly grotty, either, and there's nothing dodgy or unsafe about the place. The front desk staff are kind and generally helpful. The rooms are cheap -- for the price (Rs400 for a tiny single, Rs600 for a small double) you get a mostly comfy bed, working electrical outlets, space for your stuff and a bathroom. Most have hot water, and if you're in one of the ones that doesn't, there's a bathroom on the ground floor with hot water so you can have a hot shower (it also has a Western toilet if you can't squat).

However, the windows are not for opening, there is dust in the usual locations (edges, frames, on top of things, etc), the floor tiles are cracked, the pink walls have stains and some of the rooms can be loud. All this, though, is usual for a cheap backpacker dive; I don't understand people who complain excessively in their reviews about things that are par for the course. (If you travel and stay in cheap places and don't carry earplugs, for instance, then you're nuts.)

In PaharGanj, you can find many places that are cleaner, perhaps a bit bigger, some with windows and TVs, and all the other amenities that some people need in a place to sleep. However, you'll pay twice as much for them.

There's no wifi in the building, but you can get it from the Internet shop across the alley for Rs100/24hours, which is a decent deal as long as it works. During my six days here, it was repeatedly spotty (or out for hours at a time), but after I complained enough times they gave me a free day.

Namaskar's in-house laundry service was good, standard-priced, with 24-hour turnaround. You leave the key to your room with the front desk when you go out, which I like, because it means I won't lose it, and it means entry to the hotel is closely monitored.

I can't speak to their reservation policy, because both times I've stayed here, I just walked in and was shown to a room in seconds. They also have larger rooms for groups of friends, which is a cost-saving benefit for some folks.

If you're a cheap traveler and you know what to expect from a bargain hotel, this is a good place for you.

Room Tip: Room 5 can be especially loud, as it is right next to the front lobby, where the night staff and gue...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SioenRoux
Brooklyn
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I mostly fall on falangsabai's side in my opinion of Hotel Namaskar. Stayed here a total of four nights, three for Delhi, one for transit out of Rajasthan. Accommodation in Delhi is expensive, and I wanted to put my money elsewhere. I got exactly what I thought I was getting, and had no service (i.e., bait-and-switch) issues at all.

But, I did have a noise problem right outside my window during my second stay, which I couldn't avoid in part because the window didn't totally close, and I didn't want to touch that area anyway because it was, well, filthy. I also was not in love with the age of the sheets, though I don't doubt that they were clean, and the cleanliness of the bathroom walls. And of course, there is something to be said for the walk through Paharganj and up the alley to Namaskar after all of the shops have closed.

Still, I wanted a dependable budget accommodation that was relatively close to at least some Delhi sights and in a well-known location. That's what I got. Ultimately I think your satisfaction with Namaskar comes down to accepting it as a place to clean up and lay your head, not as a place to relax and linger.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I stayed in hotel Namaskar with my gf for two nights. We had reserved our room two months before already by email and confirmed just before arriving. In the confirmation email from Namaskar you will get stated that it's possible the first night you don't get the room you reservated.. so what's the use then of reservating you might ask. Also you will HAVE to take their airfield pick-up when you arrive after midnight. We agreed on this as we thought it would be handy since we didn't knew India/Delhi yet.

We arrived at Delhi airport 3 am and after passing the final airfield doors, leaving the airfield, we felt like entering a jungle with all those hundreds of people waiting at the exit. We walked up and down the row of people looking for our pick-up but didn't see any sign. We then called the hotel for clarification but we couldn't make sense with the sleepy guy on the other end of the line... Of course in the meanwhile we got non stop approached by touts as it was obvious we where fresh tourists victims. We therefore quickly decided to get ourselves asap a pre-paid taxi.

The hotel is located in a -very small and dark- side street of the main bazar (which itself is quite daunting during midnight your first day ever in delhi - it's a bit down in the dumps!). It's hard to locate upon first arrival. Luckily our taxi driver was a good guy and kept searching until he found it. Upon arrival at the hotel we immediately got into a long discussion about how we missed our pick-up etc. which we really didn't care about atm.. we just wanted our room after 24+ hours non stop traveling. As expected already by the Namaskar emails we didn't get the room we reservated because it was not available the first night, and we had to take another (more expensive) room….

The room itself was located on the ground floor right next to a luggage storage room. With people coming and going it was quite noisy but because we where so tired it didn’t matter anymore. The room itself is what you see is what you get… Quite crappy looking and a nasty bathroom. The beds however seemed clean.

The next day we where asked to pay for our room. We then got offered our originally booked (cheaper) room.. which was surprisingly located exactly next to our current room and didn’t look any different besides being maybe 2m2 smaller. We said we didn’t wanted to be on the ground floor anymore and then got offered one on the first floor, which actually looked better and also had a western toilet. The discussion on the pick-up continued and we where requested to pay the taxi after all as they had arranged it and it was our fault missing it… welcome to India !

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pieter B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2011

The rooms are simple and bare. We didnt bother trying to open the windows in our room because we were afraid to disturb the millions of dust bunnies that caked the curtains. Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs looks spacious compared to the room we got - there was only enough space to jam two single beds together and a 1.5ft space for walking before you got the wall.

The bathroom was shocking, so cramped and tiny that you had to sit on the toilet sideways or else your knees knock into the sink. The showerhead only let out a trickle of water that shot out in different directions and you had to chase it down to have a shower.

It has a great general location however - Paharganj was our favorite in Delhi over Connaught Place and Old Delhi. The markets and restaurants that are hidden away are amazing. New Delhi Train Station is also about a 5-10minute walk.

The owners are friendly if a little pushy but they did provide us with a lot of advice and information.

Overall, if you don't mind staying in a threadbare room - this is a great budget choice.

• Stayed October 2011