“Very nice room with a few typical Indian annoyances” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Plaza Delhi

Radisson Blu Plaza Delhi
Ranked #30 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
Atlanta, GA USA
“Very nice room with a few typical Indian annoyances”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Overall, I can't find reason to fault the hotel for 90% of the 3 night experience. The suite room was very nice, as advertised, and the amenities in the room very modern and useful. An extensive array of electronic conveniences, including 110v power suuplies and USD charging stations are at the work desk, along with electronic controls for lighting and room temperature.

For US-based travelors familiar with the Radisson brand in the U.S., this hotel will be a nice surprise in that it is a 4-star type property whereas in the U.S. most Radisson hotels are typically 2 to 3-star in my view. Obviously, the hotel owners have taken the Radisson brand and management concept but have exceeded standards in many ways such that one should not really equate the Radisson brand in India with Radisson hotels abroad. This particular Radisson is much better and atypical of the overal Radisson chain.

I used the spa, and while the treatment itself was very nice, the spa (particularly the facilities) is in no way comparible to more upscale spas through India. The jacuzzi/wet area is not very inviting and the equipment does not work very well - I sat in the Jacuzzi (which had a slimy feel) for all of 2 minutes and got out. There was one spa attendant (female) who could not access the men's changing area for obvious reasons so I found myself alone wandering around trying to figure out how to use the lockers and other facilities before the treatment actually started. I would not recommend the spa overall at this hotel, although it is highly promoted and has prices equivalent to those at 5-star properties.

The typical India hotel annoyances are pervasive - long check-in process with intrusive questions. After a long journey, one does not want to discuss family, marital status, company association, or give blood! One just wants to check in to the room and be left alone basically. The final straw with me always occurs when they insist upon being provided with a business card, although they have every other form of identification (including passport, credit card authorized,etc.). This annoys me because I don't freely give these out and I don't feel it is necessary for a hotel to have this information - everything needed is in my reservation record. When I inquired as to why they request the card (I'm always interested in what the answer will be), I am promptly advised that it is requested to create a profile for me. Ridiculous and ludicrous. Along with being handed a very complex survey to complete at every turn (spa and breakfast) which I ignored to the shock of the person handing me the survey, and employees at every turn stopping to say "hello Sir, what country are you from", I wanted to just retreat at times to the privacy of my room to avoid running into these annoying confrontations. I am not anti-social, but in a business environment and when one has traveled so far, surveys and inquiries into one's personal life are typically not appreciated or needed.

So, I give this hotel a high rating for the actual room, and for basic service. I realize some of my negative comments are standard practice in India, but perhaps when a few of these chains mature and train employees, they will realize some of the practices are unnecessary and intrusive. I would stay here again if a quick stay is needed close to the airport, otherwise, I would also probably give other more 5-star properties a try if airport convenience is not a major factor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Definitely geared to the business traveler with lots of support services. Nevertheless, as tourists, we were very pleased with the room size, showerheads, and amenities. We stayed 3 times in a 3-week period in order to catch flights to other Indian and Bhutanese cities. The food in the The Great Kebab Factory was a big disappointment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Our room was very clean. Service exceptional. Great breakfast buffet. We didn't try the dinner buffet because it was a little beyond our budget for this trip but our traveling companions enjoyed it and felt it was well worth the expense. Many other reasonably priced menu items available and we loved the entered we selected. Great bread!

• Stayed March 2013
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed for one night here. Overall it was ok but very expensive. I arrived at 1am after a long flight from London. Checkin was relatively painless (by Indian standards). My room was very comfortable, however, it was really hot there. Twenty eight degrees according to the room thermometer. Even once the A/C was on it remained uncomfortably hot so didn't get much sleep. Airport transfers were included in the price which helped but my driver too me to the wrong terminal which wasn't ideal. So so.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
Tampere, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We got upgraded to a business class room on arrival to Radisson. After 1,5 weeks travelling in India and Nepal, this was a luxorious last night before flying home. A large, beautiful room, very comfortable king size bed, nice happy hour in the down stairs bar. The breakfast was exeptionally good. And service excellent. True five star.

10 minutes to/from airport and airport pick up included in the room price. Free WiFi. Nice swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kanerva
Singapore, null, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Like everyone else I booked this hotel because my flight arrived late at night and I had a morning flight the next day.

I was surprised that the chauffeur made my walk in the cold from the terminal to a car park and then made me wait at a place not suitable for a lady to be standing by herself. There was no apologises from him or the hotel when I said I had a cold. instead the reason provided that it was the airport policy. So I checked with Leela Palace and the airport and was told that it was not the case.

To make matters worse when we were checking in first a lady came to attend to us and then she called someone else. Whilst he was trying to check us in she kept on interrupting him asking him to move away or answer the call. She or he did not welcome us to the hotel.

I then wrote to the hotel to advise them of this situation. Sadly they did not responded to me which I find very rude.

Room Tip: Avoid taking rooms on the lower floor as you would be facing the highway
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Rosalia D
JavedAli, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Delhi, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
We would like to extend our sincere apologies at this experience. Our drivers are expected to escort arriving guests a few steps to the covered car park opposite the arrival terminal, where we have the nearest car slots specially paid for and reserved by the hotel on a long term basis, for the conveneince of our guests. We apologise that it is not permissible to have our cars waiting at the kerbside, as that would block the flow of other traffic. We would also like to offer our apologies for at the inconvenience you faced while checking in and will do our best to see that you do not encounter this situation again.
wolverhampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

this hotel is great for its location, so close to the airport and with free transfers it really does create a stress free stay as traffic can play a big deal in calculating trips to the airport, the restaurant the great kebab factory was strongly reccomeneded and i thought it was ok, overall staff were good and hotel was clean and rooms were spacious, exactly what you want from a airport hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple