“Good location in New Delhi”
Review of Hotel Ajanta

Ranked #58 of 736 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. Good to have complimentary pickup from airport and with 9 internet terminals to use free of charge on roof these were real bonuses. Further able to enjoy complimentary teas whilst using the internet, and there were a telescope and mounted binoculars for travellers to use on roof balcony. Hotel was in a good central location for New Delhi and from outside looked most pleasant.
However, there was much confusion when I arrived over which room I was to be allocated. Had booked a standard room and quite satisfied with room given. Then told in evening that I had been given the wrong room and needed to move to a"better" room. No, it was not a better room which I refused, and so back to first room before then being asked to move again to yet a third room. On asking why couldn't just stay put was told would have to pay more to do so, which declined. All very frustrating, annoying and extremely poor service. Also the free pickup had been 45 minutes late collecting me from airport, and so not impressed with the start of my stay. However, the owner himself of the hotel is well liked by all the staff and this showed in the quality of service I fortunately experienced thereafter. My room was clean with both bath /shower, albeit it was fairly basic, although had a large comfortable kingsize bed. You get chased to buy tours, etc at a travel desk which all carry a" high markup". Consider hotel a little expensive , even by Delhi standards and the breakfasts albeit reasonable were also highly priced, but quality of food generally very good for both breakfast and dinner. Except for initial day , I was very happy with staff performance and politeness.
Would I recommend this hotel ? No, I would not in case my initial experience was a sample of what others could expect, but I would still consider staying there myself if able to take advantage of 3 night stay discount , and the other perks.
There are other good hotels very close, which offer a similar standard at a cheaper price, and just minutes walk away. Also, enjoyed excellent complimentary buffet breakfasts included in tariff of the one stayed at for two nights on return back to Delhi.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
HotelAjanta, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments of our Hotel. Our breakfast buffet is Rs. 275 and we guarantee you skip lunch after this. Also, we do not comprise on the quality of any ingredients used.
Hotel Ajanta

Write a ReviewReviews (1,933)

Reviewed March 7, 2011

I was meant to stay a total of 4 days and 3 nights at Ajanta. The first night however, I arrived quite late from the airport and quite similar to the experience of others as mentioned in reviews, I was shuffled off to the Hotel Sweet Home across the road. After quite a long and tiring flight and being quite late as it was, I was in no mood to argue. So despite the dirty sheets, the dirty floor mat to the wash room, the non-working aircon, I just tried to sleep fully intent on demanding a move to another room the next day.

The next day I awoke and wanted to have breakfast at the restaurant but was told that apparently, breakfast was not included in the room rate. And so I paid additional rupees for what I thought was an overpriced breakfast. The buffet, as they were wont to call it, was paltry, with only a few dishes (mainly idly, sambhar and chutneys) that could possibly be had for a tenth of the price the hotel was charging.

Having done my rounds of the Delhi sites, I came back to the hotel amidst a downpour. While I was soaking wet and only wanted a nice hot shower and fresh, dry clothes, I remembered to demand my room relocation at the reception of Ajanta. Begrudjingly, I was shown a room towards the back of the ground floor, separated by a swing door from the lobby. The room was decent enough and certainly much better than the one at the Sweet Home. At least this one looked like the sheets had been washed recently. Having agreed to move to the new room, I went back to the old one and found that the floor outside my room was soaking wet apparently from the broken down elevator shaft that was leaking rainwater through. Luckily the water had not gone to my room and soaked any of my stuff, which I then took and brought to the new room. I could not have been happier to get out of that dump.

As I said, the room (#11) at the Ajanta was alright. It was not luxurious in any sense but decent enough. There was a minibar and LCD TV and free wifi. Too bad I did not make the cut to avail of the "free" wifi since apparently they only have a quota of a few wifi access cards per day. Had to pay 100 rupees for a new card, which was not a big deal.

The hotel arranged for me a car to take me on a daytrip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. Again the car was decent enough for the price but I think you can scout around the net and find a better price.

While the hotel provides free pickup FROM the airport, which in my case went without a hitch, the same trip TO the airport cost me 500 rupees. Had the Metro Airport Link been running at the time I was to leave, I would have taken it but as it is, I missed the opening by a day and had to make do with the car provided by Ajanta.

Overall, there were certainly a lot of things to improve on the part of the Ajanta. First and foremost is their habit of shuffling people off to another hotel. I don't really care whether they own it as well and it is just next door. One other thing, those pictures on the hotel website showing a nice quiet facade, be aware that the neighborhood is nowhere near quiet. The street on which the hotel is on is fairly busy with row upon row of hotels and other establishments, and while I did not encounter any hassles or issues, it can be intimidating and is most certainly noisy, even late at night.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
All other points noted. I have to mention that airport pick up is complimentary but the drop is not. In a budget price that is not feasible.
Other hotels around provide free pick up only on high category rooms or not at all.

Reviewed March 7, 2011

I was looking for a good hotel in Delhi online, and ended up seeing the beautiful pictures shown by Hotel Ajanta, Arakashan Road, Ram Nagar, New Delhi.

It cost me Rs. 3300/- + Taxes (that took it to Rs. 3900) for a Family Room (4 persons). There were two bedrooms, and a single private bath/toilet, and a dirty balcony.

Not because there was some construction noise right next to our wall going on for 100% of the time we were there, but there are many reasons one should not go to this hotel.
Within that lane (Arakashan Road), you will find at least a hundred hotels, and I am very sure you can get them on the spot. They will be much better and much cheaper (as a cyber cafe owner in that lane was telling me).

Besides, the staff in Hotel Ajanta is very rude (esp. the lady there), very dumb, inactive, inattentive. They provided us just two towels and one soap among 4 persons. We had to ask. Tea (4 cups) cost us Rs. 135/-, and I literally fell down hearing that. One "normal" cup of tea in India costs Rs. 5/-

The interiors are nice, but that is not what a stay is all about. Why spend so much for such horribly dumb staff and service?

Instead of relying on the Internet, go there directly, and look for a hotel. The hotel is at a walkable distance of 1 KM from New Delhi Railway Station, so if you have little energy to walk, don't listen to the Rickshaw Walas who will charge you Rs. 50/- at least for such a small distance.

Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 7, 2011

It started with a phone call. It must have taken 10 phone calls for me to organise station pick-up. There was no language barrier - I understood the man on the phone, and given that I work in the Indian hotel industry, am usually pretty good at communicating with Indian hotels! But everyone I spoke to was rude, unhelpful, kept passing me on to someone else, and hung up on me. More than once. And after all that, our pick up was late.

The lobby was clean and classy, although check-in was overlong. But it was once we were shown our smelly, shabby room that the problems began. Despite paying over $50/night, the room was not what we'd asked for: no tea/coffee facilities, dirty towels and cigarette burns everywhere.

As a conciliatory measure - and after my Dad complained - my sister and I were offered an upgrade for the next night. This was when the problems really began. Once my Dad had left, they tried to move us to another room, charge us extra, and generally completely rescinded on their promises and treated us like stupid children. Not impressive, and potentially sexist.

Just one example of the kind of service to expect: I wanted to put my passport somewhere safe, and the hotel literature mentioned a safety-deposit box downstairs. When I asked someone at reception, they brusquely told me to put it in the safe in my room. I went back upstairs, and tried to work out how to use the safe. There was nothing about it anywhere in the room. So I called reception, and they said they'd send someone up. 20 minutes later, I called again, and they hung up on me. Eventually someone came, but they couldn't work the safe. They said they'd send someone else. They didn't. Eventually someone came, fixed the safe... and it promptly broke again!

I've never complained in a hotel before (I'm English and prone to embarrassment) but the treatment at the Ajanta just led me to blow a fuse at check-out. The manager - who really was very conciliatory and hospitable, and should definitely move to a nicer hotel - ended up giving me a full refund on meals and free airport pick-up. This was a good gesture, but I'd really have preferred to stay in a better hotel and not have had to make such a fuss! Unless you really like yelling at people, don't come here.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
HotelAjanta, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2011

Dear Guest,
Please gives us your name and date of stay on our hotel id. Though we cannot agree to all allegations. Without discussion we would like to refund your money.
The Hotel Ajanta Team

Reviewed February 28, 2011

We booked 2 rooms in this hotel through internet and it was a good rate at around Rs1700 a night for each standard room. Since we reached Delhi quite late at night, we also arranged for airport pickup which is complimentary from the hotel. As promised, someone with a placard with my name on it already waited at the arrival lounge. The hotel provided us 2 cars, one for each room booked. I don't think 4 of us could squeeze in their small car, anyway. Once at the hotel, we checked in without any problems.

We were shown to our rooms on the second floor. Quite a big room for 2 people. There are basic facilities in the room including a tv, a/c, kettle, tea and coffee. Bottled water wasn't supplied but can be bought from the hotel at a very minimal price. However, I wasn't sure those bottles haven't been tampered, as that's so common in India.

Although I had no problem sleeping at night, the blanket was very thin and looks like they didn't wash the linens. Bathroom adds more disappointment as there were no hot water. As the next morning was freezing cold, I had to skip bath. Hair dryer was available but just for display.

What I like best about this hotel is the location since it is located very near to New Delhi railway station. Expect a 10 minutes walk to the station. You can practically go anywhere in Delhi or even India from there.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
HotelAjanta, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

Dear Sir,
Good to know you enjoyed and appreciated the hospitality at Ajanta Hotel, New Delhi.
Yes, our central location is a big plus.
We apologize for not living up to our regular standards and disappointing you in any way.
Will make sure we pull up all the concerned people.
If you write to us at our hotel id, we would like to speak to you personally.
Hope you visit us again.

Regards.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

this hotel is awful. the staff were rude, the rooms were ugly, and nothing was done right. i have years of experience traveling in india, and this hotel is the worst i have ever stayed in. i arrived by train into delhi late at night, and after many phone calls and much confusion (and general disorganization from the hotel) the promised pickup materialized. it took ages to organise, and despite the hotels proximity to the station, the car was still late. would have been much easier just to get a cab from the station. the hotel looks good from the outside, and is situated on a busy hotel strip. despite the time of night, the lobby was well staffed and check in was simple, but overly lengthy. after this, the real problems began. we were shown to our room by a humorless man, and quickly realised that although the lobby and first floor were nice, clean and pretty, on the higher floors the hotel was scrappy, unkempt and weirdly stained. normally this wouldn't bother me (i've stayed in more than enough low range hotels), but for the price we were paying for this hotel, i expected a lot more. our room stank of smoke, mixed with a mystery odour that was really not pleasant. the decor was really tacky, and the room just felt sleazy. we had booked a family room (made sense for the configuration of my companions) but it really felt like the sort of room rented by the hour. the bathroom was sparse, complete with the seemingly mandatory bucket and tap configuration in lieu of a good shower that i knew from hostels and cheap hotels all over india, but in a hotel of this price (way over $100 for two nights), this seemed a tad inadequate. the walls were moldy, and the bathroom window was broken. we hadn't been in the room more than 5 minutes when a staff member informed us we were in the wrong room, confused but acquiescent we trotted down the hall to our 'new' room, which we entered, before another staff member (and some guests) arrived, informing us that the room we had been in was indeed the correct one. this was the type of chaos and unpleasantness that for me represents my stay at ajanta. we returned to the first room only to realise it didn't fulfill the requirements and amenities we had paid for. we had no kettle, tea or coffee, or the city view (or indeed unfrosted windows) that we had been promised. the beds were uncomfortable, and all the linen had cigarette burns dotted over it. breakfast was so chaotic, and the buffet (despite being very expensive) was really unimpressive, i would recommend trying a cafe or another hotel if you do make the mistake of staying here. within our room price we had been promised "free airport shuttle", but when it came to booking this an angry staff member told us it was only pick up that was free, and we would have to pay for drop off. we explained that we had already paid, and showed the documents, before the staff began to irately blame hotels.com for the discrepancy. bored with the chaos and rudeness, we just got a taxi from one of the hundreds of firms along the road. what confuses me about ajanta is that most of the reviews on here seem positive, when this hotel is quite obviously a dump (or at least shocking value for money). either the hotel has been uploading its own reviews (really possible i think), or the organization of trips round india that ajanta can organise are really good. most of the positive reviews i have seen cite this service, but speaking as someone who only used the hotel, not the tour, i really believe you should miss this hotel if you can. the rooms stink, are ugly, the staff are rude, dismissive, easily annoyed, and the whole experience is chaotic and generally bad. plus, its not cheap. bad hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2011

On our three night stay we had to change three rooms!!! Irresponsible and insensitive hotel management. Dont know really what they're banking on!!! Full of dust when we visited because of some repair work that was going on. In the mid of the night we came back from our Agra visit and after enteringour room what we experience? there wasn't any water supply in the rooms!!! We called the reception and some other numbers with no actions or response! Finally I had to come down to the reception and atrract the staff's attention in a different way!!! We had a two year old in our team during this trip. This was my/our most horrible stay in any hotel!!! Stay away people.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family