“Not bad for Delhi, but won't stay again”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ajanta

Hotel Ajanta
Ranked #60 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
New York City, New York
“Not bad for Delhi, but won't stay again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

My room was on the ground floor, in the hallway behind the reception. I wasn't thrilled with the room, but as I would only spend a few hours there before a flight, I frankly couldn't be bothered to request a change. The room was fine (small as expected, but I could have comfortably had my partner with me), could have used some fresh paint, as they say. Bathroom was very clean. The staff was very helpful, as I had a lot of trouble with the wifi, and they spent a good hour helping me set that up on my non-local iphone. I've tried many budget options in Delhi, and this was not bad, though I probably will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
HotelAjantaDelhi, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Guest,
Good to know you found our hotel good and staff helpful.
Your point about WIFI has been noted.
All rooms are being painted and the ground floor is also almost done now.
We assure you, you will have no complaints the next time you visit us.
The Hotel Ajanta Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Guatemala City, Guatemala, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was traveling alone and booked this hotel since its very close to the train station (New Dehli - Agra), 3 min tuk tuk ride. They were very nice, my plane was delayed 2 hours and the taxi driver waited for me though it was 3 am (they charge you like 15$ for waiting but it was worth it). I had to wake up that same day at 5am and they were very aware of me of not felling asleep, they even served me breakfast at 5 am (it was included in the fee) since they didn´t want me to let go without eating: VERY NICE !! Also they had free internet service, wifi had some charge but not expensive. I had some problems connecting with the wifi in my room which was a little bit old but clean and since I wasn´t able to connect they moved me to a suit which was just refurnished. Also the day I checked out, I took a tour with them to go around Dehli and when I got back to pick up my luggage, they let me use one of their rooms to take a shower. Hotel also very close to interesting monuments. Everyone at the hotel was always smiling and very nice.. I would definitely stay again here !!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay with us and for sparing time to write in such detail about our hotel.
I am pleased to know that you had a good stay and had such positive comments.
Ours is a family run hotel and what you experienced was the family touch.
We look forward to hosting you again.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of this hotel. Having booked a "budget" hotel, perhaps our expectations were also tempered. However, the good and clean rooms were a surprise. The bathrooms were also neat and clean. The restaurant also offers some good stuff. The location is also good. In fact, the hotel is in a locality where there are countless hotels. Its like a "hotelwala" galli. Good for a repeat stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HotelAjantaDelhi, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and then taking time to write about us.
Your gracious comments are very encouraging for all.
This kind of review is what we work hard for.
Yes, there are many hotels here, and we strive to be among the best.
Ours is a family run hotel and is one of the oldest establishments in the area.
Even though it has been renovated several times, we still like to maintain the old word look.
So glad you enjoyed your stay and that we lived up to all your expectations.
We look forward to your next visit.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

Being led into their ‘travel agents’ office after a long flight (& feeling a bit shell shocked by Delhi) before we’d even checked in was extremely frustrating! Our room was fine if a little musty smelling, we had an initial problem with the a/c which took around 6hours and several visits to reception to rectify – the hotel has far too many staff with undefined roles. Probably not helped by having the owner milling around constantly looking over their shoulder. The staff were generally very friendly, pleasant & appeared helpful, although it was definitely more a case of ticking the box (ie. I’ve asked room 101 how they are today, not are room 101 actually okay?).

We had dinner there our first night which was fine, we then discovered there are lots of little places nearby to eat which were better. The rooftop area was a pleasant place to have a complimentary tea and use the hotels complimentary PCs for a very slow internet connection, it is however a bit shabby & it wouldn’t take much to turn it into an excellent space. The advertised free wifi isn’t actually free, it’s also very temperamental & didn’t work in our room so not worth bothering with.

After a day of aclimatising we booked a 'Golden Triangle' tour with Mr Singh (make sure you bargain to a price your happy with!) & really enjoyed it. We had a nice driver with very good English, the hotels were excellent and it was overall a good experience – apart from the obligatory daily stop at a shopping emporium. When will they realize that not everyone has the inclination or cash to want to shop at these places??!

I'd recommend 1 or 2 nights at the hotel - the airport pickup is a huge bonus!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelAjantaDelhi, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback.
We assure you all your points will be taken up seriously to improve our service.
Glad you enjoyed the Golden Triangle Tour with us.
We promise you a better stay the next time you visit us.
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

Not friendly staff, not good and not free Wi-Fi. Room too small, better looking for another one, you can find cheaper, big room, and free Wi-Fi at Paharganj Area.

Room Tip: All rooms is not clean, very noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank HendraEka
Dear Guest,
Please mail us your full name, date of stay and e-mail address.
When a genuine client is dissatisfied, we would like to first refund his money and then rectify the problem.
Look forward to your mail.

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Positive points:

Rooms were clean and neat.
Mini bar and tea coffee maker at room
Buffet Breakfast

Negative points:

About pick up: Driver was waiting at the international airport while we were waiting at domestic airport. Although I have clearly mentioned about the pick up point.

There was some construction activity going on in the hotel. They were making lot of noise.

Hotel in congested street.

Power tripped twice in our floor. No emergency lamps as backup.

Lift is too place even for two person. It is difficult to carry suit cases.
Then tried to go by steps, they are very steep.

AC was making lot of noise. Please switch to Split AC.

Not the best place. not the worst place…….

Go for a hotel which is not in Paharganj or Karol bagh, if you are on holiday.
Quite busy and noisy place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nandagopalchandran
HotelAjantaDelhi, Manager at Hotel Ajanta, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay with us and for your feedback.
We take all feedback very positively as this helps us improve our services. All points have been forwarded to the concerned persons and we will ensure prompt action is taken wherever necessary.
Glad you liked our rooms and buffet breakfast.
bangalore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

i stayed at hotel sweet home just opposite to Hotel Ajanta, belongs to hotel Ajanta only, value for money, clean rooms, good hot water ,but mosquitoes in bathroom under the tube light wash basin, complimentary buffet breakfast was at hotel Ajanta not up to the mark, dinning hall was small for the crowd. there was no proper arrangement of refilling the items as well as cutlery staff was courteous. Busy Arakasha Road is too noisy if you are late riser beware lot of honking on the road but at the same time if you want to feel real India stay in these area.

Room Tip: try inner side room not facing main road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Glad you found the rooms good and value for money. Your comments on breakfast have been forwarded to the management.
Many flights may have come in together, making the staff run around. This is an exception to the usually smooth service provided.
Yes, when compared to the west, foreigners find most places in India more lively and full of people.