“vile hotel masking as a grand one”
Review of The Ashok

The Ashok
Ranked #182 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
montreal
“vile hotel masking as a grand one”
Reviewed February 23, 2010

from the insulting woman at reception who barked "Passports!" without bothering to greet us, to the four men who escorted us to our room and then held out four palms for their exquisite help in opening the door to our tomb - sorry, room - to the three women who came out of the their cubbyhole near the elevators to hold out their palms each time we passed, to the shower handle that came off in my hand, to the bath that flooded the bathroom, to the comped split of 'champagne' that tasted and smelled of nail polish, to the surly man in charge of currency exchange, to the foul breakfast buffet, the Ashok makes a total mockery of the "luxury hotel" concept. It's like putting up for the night with a gang of extortionists.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank netsukeMontreal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Delhi
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Ashok Hotel by itself is not extraordinary, however we found about F-Bar Nightclub (also known as Fashion Bar by FTV) through a website called www.indiasbestbars.com. I checked the site India's Best Bars to find out about various clubs in India and found Fbar in the most detailed format with images, events, and virtual tours.. Fbar was one of the most international clubs in India, and to my surprise it was at a Hotel which was one of the most average hotels. Then I find Fbar Delhi is only a rental at Ashok Hotel and not owned by the company. Still, if you want to stay at Ashok Hotel, Fbar Delhi is the best thing that can happen to you every night! Which makes other hotels boring. If you want to know more about Fbar and Ashok, visit www.indiasbestbars.com.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

chandigarh
Reviewed January 24, 2010

nice to stay for short time

• Liked — in centre place
  • Disliked — about neatness and services
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
bathinda
Reviewed January 23, 2010

the hotel is so beautiful and clean.i really loved the hospitality and cooperation of hotel staff. would like to visit again and again.

• Liked — hospitality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
kadakpur
Reviewed January 23, 2010

Oh this was a hard time initally as when i reached there i lost my luggage keys.

The staff was helpful and really helped me out. This hotel is on my list whan am in a mood of savings. its an economical and yet not compromising at all.

It has everyhthing one wants ofr a papering stay but who cares if the bathroom is not 20 by 20 its fantastic and serves all your needs.

I am glad opted to stay there.

Stayed October 2008
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 23, 2010

There is nothing particularly fantastic about this place but all the small atmospheric tidbits add to a wonderful stay. The rooms are small but just the whiff of the lobby as soon as you enter is enough to make you forget your worries and just relax. I'm not sure how that happens but it nearly always does. I've been coming to this place for many years now and I still come back.
PS: Don't forget to take a sniff of their cafeteria/restaurant.

• Liked — All the aromas
  • Disliked — Rooms can be bigger
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I frequently visit New Delhi but chose this hotel for a new nights in particular because of it's famous 'F-Bar', a club which is considered to be one of the best in New Delhi. The hotel is said to be a 5 star and upon entering I did not see that. Carpets were musty and when we took the elevator to our room, it shook, made noise and was extremely slow. The twin room was ok. There was a LCD tv, desk, armchair, lots of lamps, free wireless internet. The rooms had low ceilings and the bathroom was quite small which was a little disappointing. We found that it was temperature of the room was always too cold, despite turning the a/c off at some points of time. We dined at Sagar Ratna on our first night which was a good south indian restaurant. We also ordered some snacks (pakoras, samosas, fries) from room service which were also very tasty. We ate in the coffee shop on our second night. We had the buffet, which was actually terrible. The food seemed like it had been cooked hours ago and there was little choice for a vegetarian such as myself. Also had the chance to dine at Mashrabiya which had incredible lebanese cuisine. Food here was a little more expensive, but well worth it. In the night, my friend fell ill and we needed a some over the counter medicine. Upon asking the concierge, he told me that I would be charged 2500 rupees if I wanted this medication (which is extortion for a couple of pills which cost 50 rupees!). The concierge told me it was because he would send somebody to retrieve it in a taxi, which is ridiculous in a country where taxi rides and labour is cheap. I honestly did not expect this to be 5 star service, especially in a time where we really needed some help. In addition, major renovation work was being done so on our way to 'F-Bar' so we passed rubble and sheeted areas which was unpleasant. F Bar had a nice atmosphere, nice cocktails too, though the club played a lot of hindi music. All in all, this ‘5 star’ hotel was disappointing for the amount we paid for it. I always found Indian hotels to have the best service in the world, but with The Ashok, I was disappointed.

• Liked — F Bar, Mashrabiya restaurant
  • Disliked — Terrible service, musty old rooms
  • Stayed September 2009, traveled with family