“over priced - under whelmed - ashock ing hotel”
Review of The Ashok

The Ashok
Ranked #212 of 712 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed March 8, 2009

shabby, smelly , tired, and that was just the staff. Poorly trained they did not have a clue. The fixtures and fittings were poor, the views awful and generally just disappointing. Our deluxe room had a comfortable bed and that was about it. One scruufy towel each, a grubby bathroom and no sign of any love or care.
Of the six restaurants in the hotel only two were open and one of them was just vile. The other was average but top prices.Our 3 1/2 night stay cost £700 - do not stay here.
This was billed as a five star hotel with matching prices - I suggest they invest in some lessons from the Taj Group - felt completely ripped off and we were both very ill into the bargain. hope it loses down - would like my money back!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JoHLondon
There are newer reviews for The Ashok

Reviewed March 1, 2009

Good pick up at the airport, nice room and grounds but over priced.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Was my 4th stay at the hotel since 2000 and sorry to state that it's not getting better. Staying there as it's the place of the conference I am attending so it's just to avoid taking taxis on several occasions per day.... Had booked and confirmed room with balcony though received room without. When referring back to the reception's staff (be aware of the cashiers, as greedy as the years before) was informed, that the rate is the same... It's by far overpriced and one has to greet the staff, it's not the staff greeting you.... Meals at coffee-shop are "OK" while the staff at coffee-shop is at least trying to be friendly and fast.... trying... The staff at business-center tried to be of help and while services are really expensive, none of the 11 mails I had send arrived.....

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrewtom
Reviewed February 12, 2009

I and my wife were travelling to Delhi for romantic getaway. We wanted to experience some really good places & things together.
We wanted to spend time in some good hotel so we could remember the stay as well as the places of stay. We had heard a lot about Hotel Ashok, how magnificient it is and how marvelous the view from the hotel top looks.
We called up and booked a reservation for us. When we visited the hotel, we were impressed by how huge it looks from outside and how well it was maintained. The reception was quite good. The wait at the checkin was not at all there and within few minutes we were escorted to our room by a bellboy.
The room was spectacular. It was well furnished and even the bathroom had marble tiled floor and huge mirrors. The room was spacious and had a very huge balcony. The Balcony was overlooking some gardens and playgrounds. THE VIEW FROM THE BALCONY WAS AWESOME. It gave us a very open view of the outside, yet private from others. We loved it.
The restaurant in the basement was quite good. They have different types of restaurant serving different kinds of cuisines. We tried few of them and they were quite good food.

Coming to the cons: As known before, the hotel is slightly on an expensive note. It is not easy to use it as a regular getaway. We had our own transportation for most of the time and hence distance wasn't the matter but on a few occasion, getting public transportation was not easy. However the hotel do have lot of Auto and Taxi guys waiting around and the doorman can help to get one for you.

Overall, it is a great place and we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rao_raghavendra
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I heard a great deal of bad reviews before we left. The Ashok is a government owned hotel and hence does not have the massive private investment of the other in the diplomatic enclave. I was greeted in a friendly manner when I arrived (4am, can't say I'm to impressed with Delhi Airport), staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay. I am on the 3rd floor in a really nice room, I have two beds to myself, my room is cleaned and stocked daily. Everywhere I go I am saluted or bowed to, the decor is good, the place is clean. A few things to watch for: A few of the plug sockets have issues but for RS70 you can get a pretty good plug adaptor, the food in the 'Coffee Shop' is good enough, nothing special and the Paprika Chicken is awful, don't try the chinese restaurant, we ordered 3 plates of food and some rice and each dish got steadily worse, the first was what looks like a plate of ears (Chicken), the second looked like a pile of rotting cat poo (Beef) and the third looked like a collection of arteries and viens (Lamb) - absolutley disgusting! The rice wasn't bad though. Stay away from most of the food, check out the 'Fusion' bar, the staff are great and really freindly. I would definatley come here again.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed October 7, 2008

OMG! I don't know what kind of star it has, definitely it's not shining!!! My husband and I went there for a medical convention.we arrived late evening, checked-in and went straight to our room. voila! smelly,bedcovers are dirty, yellow stained pillow cases,,creeking wavy faux wood flooring and bathroom was filthy! thanks heaven we brought our rubber slippers! you can't walk inside without it! haay, the next morning we went to the convention and came to the hotel room late...Surprise! room was smelled up with tobacco! i was angry but my husband told me to keep my cool. the next day, we let the cleaning man tidy up our room, my husband was in the shower and me reading seated behind a desk. peeking once in a while to see if the man is doing his cleaning job properly. satisfied, we gave him a big tip and closed the door. my husband went ahead to the convention and left me. while i was in the shower, someone rang the doorbell, thought it was my husband and might forget something, i ran to the door since it has no observation hole, asked loud " sweetheart, is that you?". then that someone spoked indian that i dont understand and i said "later"!! with emphasis!
after a shower, i put on my clothes and was taking my time putting on my make-up, somebody rang the door again. the cleaning man gave me a basket of fruits and a bottle of coke and i said thank you and closed the door. rang the door again, it was a man wearing black suit and said that my laundry will be delivered that same day, i said thanks and closed the door. after i made myself up, i headed to the door to go out but suddenly the phone rang, thought it was my husband, i picked it up and said "hello? sweetheart? helloo, hello? but the other line was just listening to my voice and all of a sudden i heard this voice of a woman moaning and in indian language! lewd! i placed the receiver down in a hurry and frozed, wondering what was it? who was it? after several seconds the phone rang again, i let it rang 3 times, i answered it again with firm and loud voice " dad, is that you? hello,who is this?!! hello,hello?!! same thing happened again! i banged the phone, trembling,terrified. ran out the door and asked the cleaners who was the prank caller that made the lewd calls. i dont know if they understand me! my gosh! this is supposedly a five star hotel in their country! is it?!!! or never? after i complained, i noticed that there are more securities all over the hotel! holy cow! we've been around the world and never encountered such a thing! we will never go back to that place again! before that thing happened, the staffs look at you creepily as if they haven't seen a woman before! and outside of that hotel as well! creeeepy!!! rating? BLACK STAR!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank neelie127
Reviewed September 29, 2008

This place is awful. Our convention was held here, and so, in order to avoid the hassle of getting a trustworthy driver every day, we decided to stay here despite the negative reviews.

Hotel staff were a little creepy. Our hallway smelled very bad (especially in the mornings). Luckily, most of the smell remained in the hall and did not come into our room. That's not to say that our room didn't smell, it was just better in comparison. It was impossible to get internet in your room, so you needed to go down to the main lobby to get any work done. And since only one of the electrical outlets in the lobby seemed to be working, you had to make sure your computer was well charged before coming downstairs.

I did see one roach in the hallway, (luckily again, not in our room). Stains, of course, on the towels/shower curtains. Our friends from Kenya were met with unacceptable racism from the hotel's club. I can't possibly say enough bad things about this hotel. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jennifer07