“Surprised at an excellent service”
Review of The Ashok

The Ashok
Ranked #185 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Jammu
“Surprised at an excellent service”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Had to spend a night in Delhi between flights and against all advice from friends booked my self at the The ASHOK. On Cheek in they could not trace my booking made on net, since I had a print out of my booking confermation I was dispatched to my room till they traced my booking. Good room though of old model by todays standards but clean and everything Works ( to my surprise) About service what takes at least half an hour in other 5 star hotels took 5 minutes at the Ashok. Not once but every time (weather it was housekeeping or other services like water or Ice etc etc.Room amminites are excellent. Staff is polite and very healpful. Most of the room service staff are older people so younger guests may feel odd asking for service from older people, being a Sr. citizen myself I had no such problem. Food is albit expencive for the quality. On the whole a pleasent stay and highly recomended..

Room Tip: Higher floors have good view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ayushmanbhat
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this review, April 17, 2013

Greetings from The Ashok!!!

Thank you for choosing The Ashok, New Delhi and giving us an opportunity to serve you. We are very pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Your generous praise regarding the hotel & it's various facilities are highly appreciated.

goutamchatterjee@theashokgroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed April 5, 2013

With the renovation completed , the work of art shows at The Ashok . The service is great as always , and the rooms are cosy . Definitely my place to stay whenever i visit this city . The city and the hotel have a delicate blend of Past , Present and the Future .

Room Tip: New building rooms are nice , but rooms towards Shiv sagar are quiter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CaptUnmeshD
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this review, April 9, 2013

Greetings from The Ashok!

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Ashok, New Delhi and for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Your generous praise about our hotel and especially rooms is very encouraging for us.

Ireland
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here for about 5 days on business. The hotel was selected by the host organisation and based on reviews would not have been my first choice. The hotel location is in the embassy district and security at the hotel is high (equivalent to going through security at an airport). In terms of the hotel itself, there were positives and negatives. It's a historic building from another era, with acres of gardens, and that has its charm. However, in the hotel itself the public areas are so large that it felt lacking in atmosphere.

Check in was painless and even though I arrived mid-morning my room was already available. The room itself was on the 7th (top) floor and was nicely furnished. There was lots of wardrobe space and a large flat screen TV with plenty of channels. Tea and coffee making facilities were also included. On the down side I had to run the shower for several minutes each day to get hot water and it annoyed me that I had to waste so much water each day. There was a lot of noise from pigeons outside the window of my room which did not really annoy me but would be an issue for some people.

I had dinner there on one evening and it was excellent. Breakfast on the other hand was just OK. Coffee at times could have been hotter and the range of western food at breakfast could have been wider.

I did not use the gym but colleagues commented favourably on it.

I like to reward good service, but I got the strong feeling that some staff were fishing for tips and this got quite tiresome after a while.

This hotel is in a relatively high price bracket and there are quite a few alternative hotels in Delhi that I would probably consider for any future visit.

Room Tip: Some rooms seem to be recently renovated so try to get one of these.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank TrevD
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this review, April 1, 2013

Greetings from The Ashok!

Let me take the pleasure to thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you!

I am glad to know that your stay throughout was comfortable with us. Your kind words regarding the room, hotel’s interior, gym, landscaping, dinner, hotel security arrangement & other allied services are highly appreciated.

We equally value your suggestions & are pleased to inform you that your feedback regarding the breakfast has been shared with our Executive chef & the Coffee shop Manager for the necessary action.

Please write me a mail, the next time you are visiting New Delhi so that we can really look after you well.

goutamchatterjee@theashokgroup.com,
Multan, Pakistan
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed there from 3-6 October 2012 to attend APOA conference 2013. Only location is ideal. Elevators are very slow and noisy.Breakfast was average,but service was good.wifi was not working properly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Mr. Farooq,

Greetings from The Ashok!

We thank you for choosing The Ashok, New Delhi & giving us an opportunity to stay with us. It is quiet unfortunate to know that your stay with us did not meet your expectations but we would like to assure you that all your concerns have been noted for the immediate action. May we request you to kindly accept our deep & profound apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I would look forward to welcome you again!

Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Reviewed March 26, 2013

A 5 star property beautifully located in the heart of Embassy area with fabulous architecture & class facilities.
I stayed there for 3 days & enjoyed each & every single moment. The staff especially the Front Desk is pretty courteous & efficient that they go out of the way to facilitate the guest. For me it was a complete package & superb experience. One thing is for sure that next time we are going to come to delhi, our stay is happening at Hotel Ashok.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Haris777
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Mr. Mohammad,

Greetings from The Ashok!!!

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at The Ashok, New Delhi and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed every single moment of your stay with us.

Your generous compliments have been shared with the entire team for whom it is a tremendous source of inspiration.

I will look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

jaipur
Reviewed March 25, 2013

it was really aN AWESOME experience to stay in the graND DADDY OF ALL HOTELS... THE ASHOK.... had a opportunity to stay at THE ASHOK BANG LORE long time back since then i had planned to visit THE ASHOK NEW DELHI for my stay .

I was totally surprised and amazed to see the grandness the awesomeness of the structure which ruled the world of hospitality . The services, food , cleanliness , every think matched with any of the reputed 5 star company of the same league. I wish the ashok group star reorganizing itself to match up with the fast past developmental in the league, which i think they have already started coz i saw bright young charming faces as soon as i entered the Hotel wish u all the best hope to see u soon

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Goutamchatterjee, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Sharma,

Greetings from The Ashok!!!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and I am happy to know that you had a pleasant stay at hotel The Ashok, New Delhi Here, we value our guests and work towards providing the best services at all times to ensure a warm, comfortable and memorable stay.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Brasília
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed in the Ashok for a month, between january and february, 2013. They say it is a 5-star hotel, but I believe it still lacks something to really get there. As it is a Government-run hotel, I got the feeling some employees were not really willing to do a god job to impress the customer. Anyway, most of the personnel was kind and helpful when I needed them.
When it comes to food, I tried three of the restaurants they have there. The one I went the most to was "The Coffee Shop". I can say I really appreciated the food at first. but as I stayed there for a month, I was pretty much willing to have something different from the second week onwards, for the menu tended to be the same. After I went to Agra and Hyderabad and stayed in other (private) hotels, I started comparing the services and realized that Ashok could have been indeed better.

Room Tip: Rooms in the east side are warmer, as they receive sunlight in the morning. Ask people in the recept...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank paulovianajr
Goutam C, General Manager at The Ashok, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from hotel The Ashok!!!

Thank you for your recent stay at Hotel the Ashok, New Delhi and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased to learn that your time with us was impacted by the personalized attention of some of our team members & you relished the food in the Coffee shop.

Regarding the variation of food menu, your valuable suggestions have been shared with our Executive chef & Coffee shop Manager. I am pretty confident that you would see a markable change when you visit us next.

Goutam Chatterjee.