“Having stayed here before...”

The Claridges New Delhi
Ranked #35 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Albuquerque
“Having stayed here before...”
Reviewed January 23, 2009

...Having stayed here in December 2005, we were familiar with the Hotel and loved the service then and it was similar now, with heightened security, of course. As a family of 12 traveling together, we had 3 different rooms, and all were comfortable and suited our rather short stay. Dinner and Breakfast at Pickwicks was great as all our picky-palates were thoroughly pleased. We will stay here again if we go back to our roots.

• Liked — Room uniqueness...
  • Disliked — Water pressure for the showers...
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Us2inABQ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
New York
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Facilities are good but the service is terrible. Here is a listing of some of my experiences as well as those of my classmates from Columbia Business School staying at The Claridges this January:

1) My roommate and I had to request a total of about 6 times to get a phone replaced from our room

2) The hotel ran out of double bed rooms. Many of my classmates had to stay in a room with a king size bed and a cot. Not the most comfortable situation - and they were not offering concessions at the time. Let's see if they change their mind.

3) A classmate had a $4K watch disappear from her room. She requested to file a police report. The hotel urged her not to file. When finally they realized she had to file, they changed the report so that it stated that my classmate knowingly dropped the watch outside of The Claridges' premises. This report was rejected three times before a proper report was filed.

4) I was overcharged for Internet usage - the man at the counter had a difficult time using a calculator when I was demonstrating how much I had been overcharged.

5) I asked for a weight scale - the first request was ignored. I called 20 minutes later to ask about my weight scale. The response - "Oh I am sending someone just now." 5 minutes later, a guy shows up with a ruler.

6) Though we had booked a conference room in advance, we were given their bar as a conference room because they overbooked other rooms.

7) Learned that the best strategy to get food in the restaurants is to order it from three different people - that way one of them might actually bring it to you.

8) Once I arrived at the hotel, a gentlemen helped bring my bags to my room. I tipped the guy 30 rupees and asked him if he would also take my shoes for a shine (a shoe shine is complimentary at this place). The guy refused to take my shoes (would not even touch my shoes) since he was not the shoe guy. He actually called someone to take the shoes, since holding shoes would be beneath him.

9) Room internet was not working so I asked IT support to help me out. No one showed up for 30 minutes. I called to inquire about why. The response was that there was a "Do not disturb" sign on the door. I went outside to take a look, as the "Do not disturb sign" was inside my room. It was a "Clean My Room" sign. The IT guy showed up 5 minutes later, and tried to prove to me that the internet was working. 20 minutes later, he agreed that the internet was not working. No apologies from The Claridges.

10) A classmate ordered a samosa for room service. She specifically asked the guy whether or not the samosa would have nuts, as she is allergic to all nuts. The guy assured her that there are no nuts in the samosas. My classmate bit into the samosa to find a cashew. She called down to complain in a panic. The management did not believe her, so they sent someone to inspect the samosa. They then asked the room service representative why he did not tell my classmate there would be cashews inside. The guy refused to admit fault and said that my friend was only asking about peanuts.

Have many more stories, but I think you get the point...

• Liked — Facilities
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank dpsingh1980
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We stayed in a 2nd floor non-smoking room for 2 nights in Dec. 2008. The room was clean and the beds were super comfortable but the hotel rooms/bath had obviously not been updated in a long time whereas the lobby area and bathrooms in the lobby have recenlty had a facelift. Breakfast at the Pickwick's restaurant was outstanding as was the hotel staff/service. We had dinner at Dhaba ( in the hotel) the first night - excellent Indian food with just the right amount of spice. We ate at the hotel's outside restaurant Sevilla (mediterranean) the next night which was fine but nothing special - also a bit pricey for what it offered. Probably would not stay here again.

• Liked — Breakfast at Pickwicks
  • Disliked — Sevilla restaurant
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank IndiaTraveler001
Surrey
Reviewed December 30, 2008

We had booked a Claridges room but weren't informed in advance that all these rooms are smoking rooms. Also, the first room we were offered overlooked a massive air conditioning unit on the roof. The manager said they could remove the ashtrays and spray air freshner which would make it non-smoking!! We ended up paying for an upgrade which was a disappointing start to our holiday.

Apart from that, the hotel is okay. It is a lovely building and the bar and restaurants are pretty good, however we would not stay there again.

• Liked — The building itself
  • Disliked — Annoying service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Suffolk
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Tried as an alternative to the Imperial which is getting a litle bit above itself.. wish I had not. Had a second floor club room, the lift renovations included drilling until 8pm . Room ok but the cream carpet was filthy in one area and the huge tv was great except the picture was poor. The staff are arrogant, service slow and the "famous" bakery shut. I would have expected an explanation/ apology in the room. Trying to be something its sadly not.

• Disliked — Renovation noise
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SuffolkLucchese
Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Stayed here three times during October '08. Some refurbishment being undertaken which was obtrusive to people in rooms around the pool area on the ground floor. One lift out of use causing huge queues when groups checked in. The decoration was good and I have no complaints about my rooms. The check in process was long and even at 7pm with a booking going back months, my room was not ready. The cashier needs to be watched, he tried to double charge me twice out of the three visits for my room bill. The rest of the staff were attentive without being obtrusive, the food was good, plentiful and varied. I would recommend this hotel as it is well located but with the caveats of being prepared to wait for your room and keeping a close eye on what you are charged.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Being chrged double on two visits
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Snick175
Melbourne
Reviewed November 13, 2008

Great service and a lovely hotel. The rooms were large and well decorated. The bathroom decor could do with a freshen up but that is being a bit picky.

I thoroughly enjoyed.

Like a lot of Indian Hotels though. It was pretty expensive. The pool area wasn't anything to get excited about but the service was good around the pool.

The hotels retaurants were all good in their own way. My favourite was probably the Italian restaurant.

• Liked — Small boutique like
  • Disliked — seemed expensive
  • Stayed October 2008