“Total luxury”

Ranked #25 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
England
“Total luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our introduction to India could not have been better. Rooms were large, beautifully furnished & so clean. Best night's sleep ever. Staff exceptionally welcoming & helpful. We ate at the poolside, also in the Indian Restaurant & the cafe. All three served excellent food but ended up a bit pricey due to all the taxes that are added. The buffet breakfast was the probably one of the best you can get - do try the Indian pancake. Tea on the hotel lawn was a must, even a massive thunderstorm & downpour during our tea did not cause the service to falter for a moment and we kept dry under our gazebo!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank EnglandFoodie1
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, November 1, 2013

Greetings from The Claridges, New Delhi!
It was a pleasure to welcome you on your first trip to India and we are glad that you enjoyed our service and facilities.

The Claridges, New Delhi strives to provide the best in hospitality with an array of world-class amenities, personalized service and a range of recreational options. We feel proud to note that you had a memorable stay with us and enjoyed the various facets of the hotel including the various F&B offerings and in-room amenities.

We thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor and look forward to welcoming you soon with ‘Gracious Indian’ hospitality.

Regional General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Finnish first
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

After trekking in Himalaya for five weeks it was just what we needed. Sheer indulgence. We last stayed at this hotel 20 years ago we were not disappointed on our return. The buffet breakfast is out of this world and we also used the other restaurants while we were there again excellent food

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, November 5, 2013

Greetings from The Claridges, New Delhi!

We would like to thank you for sharing your review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are glad that the team here was able to make your stay a pleasant one. The chef and the team are happy to know that you enjoyed the varied dining experiences at The Claridges, New Delhi. It was an honor to host your stay after two decades and the team is grateful for your custom.

Your review is a great source of motivation for all of us. We look forward to serving you again.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our first visit to India and we were lucky enough to start our stay in this lovely hotel - and even luckier to get an upgrade to a suite for our first nights stay (we were staying 3 separate nights). Staff couldn't have been more helpful. We ate in their Indian restaurant the first night and enjoyed the food. We weren't aware of the number of taxes that are added to bills so the meal did end up being much more expensive than we had expected. On our second night's stay we ate in the Sevilla restaurant - sitting outside among a well-lit garden. This was an amazing experience and the food here was excellent - best pizza I have had in a long time!
On each of our three nights we were offered an upgrade, getting a different style of room each time - all were very nice, very comfortable furnished and well appointed. Our final stay we had a balcony and stood on our final morning and watched the sun rise over Delhi.
Breakfast buffet was very nice - if a little crowded at times.
All in all we were very happy with our experience in Claridges and would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We had three different rooms, all very good. We didn't ask for an upgrade but got one each time.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, October 28, 2013

Greetings from The Claridges, New Delhi!

We thank you for choosing to stay with us on your maiden trip to India and sharing your detailed experience here on TripAdvisor. It’s a pleasure to note that our amenities and the service delivery by our associates exceeded your expectations and that you had a lovely start to your stay in India.

The Claridges, New Delhi is one of the best addresses in Lutyens' Delhi since the 1950s as it is known for offering patrons contemporary facilities along with personalized services. Your kind words of appreciation about food & beverages menu has been duly noted and conveyed to the team. We are glad that you enjoyed the varied dining experiences at The Claridges, New Delhi. Since, you liked the view of the sunrise from your balcony; if we may suggest, on your next visit, you must experience The Claridges Garden and sample the variety of appetizers, sandwiches & beverages.

Thank you once again for sharing your review here with the travel community on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure having you with us and look forward to your next visit.

Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel, I thororoghly enjoyed my stay here, and there were so many little details that contributed to making it a wonderful holiday.

The hotel is impecably clean, the bottled water in the room is complimentary and a great touch. Our room was spacious with excellent bathroom and lovely complimentary toiletries to boot. Everything about the hotel is opulent and I felt truly spoiled during my stay. We even had some of the guys bring fruit to our room every day, and the evening turndown service was always a lovely touch.

The breakfast is absolutely amazing, with everything you could want. The staff are so friendly and polite and even on a couple of days when we turned up to breakfast at 10:28 they were only too happy to seat us and ensure we enjoyed breakfast. There was one particular lady who remembered our name every single morning, and another lovely gent who gave us some background on our parathas and how they are traditionally eaten.

Every morning in the lobby, some very talented individuals would create a pattern on the ground using nothing but flower petals which were stunning.
On our second day we were able to use bicycles- free of charge- from the hotel to go exploring.

We booked through booking.com, and unfortunately the price quoted to us was not the price charged- booking.com had not included the taxes on our bill (there are around 3 taxes) our printout stated that they had. We spoke with the hotel staff, who weren't able to resolve this, as it was not their error, but this did not spoil our experience. All the staff, from the guys who make up the rooms, the ones who bring the fruit, the people working behind the bar/restaurant and in reception are an asset to this hotel and should be very proud of themselves.

Room Tip: Some of the larger rooms have an extra luxury tax.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GemskiSheffield
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your personal experience here with fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to know that our amenities and the service delivery by our associates exceeded your expectations and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in the capital city.

Set amid the verdant centre of the city, The Claridges, New Delhi offers old-world charm and contemporary facilities along with personalized service to its discerning travelers. We are glad that the associates were able to take care of all your requirements, ensuring that you had a great experience. We are grateful for your kind words of appreciation, which will definitely be conveyed to the team, who I am sure will be encouraged to continue to serve our guests with warmth.

Thank you once again for your honest and detailed review. Look forward to welcoming you soon at The Claridges, New Delhi.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Claridges is possibly my favourite hotel in Delhi, primarily for the following reasons: fantastic location (this is the main reason I reccomend it to people); intimate feel; genuine character; it can be fantastic value.

Now, I live in Delhi, but I have stayed here and I've also visited friends staying here, and been to business events here, so I know it pretty well. I've also been to business events at many other top hotels in Delhi, and I can safely say that Claridges is my no.1 choice. So location then, well it's amongst the Lutyens bungalows to the south of India Gate, Rashtrapti Bhavan etc. This means that the area is fantastically green, with wide open tree lined avenues, and a reduced traffic volume. This means I always reccomend it when I feel people might need a break from hectic days out in Delhi. Within easily walkable distance are the Ghandi Smriti and Lodhi Gardens, and it's a very quick hop to most of the main tourist sites north and south. If I had the cash, this is where my house would be. If you are travelling to tourist sites however, I would personally recommend walking out and hailing an autorickshaw rather than having them get you a taxi from the rank next door. Some of these guys are pretty unscrupulous and I've taken them with friends who were staying at the Claridges, who've found that the driver will try and ramp up the price heavily as soon as they'd dropped me off at my house!

Intimate feel and genuine character - it's a relatively small hotel and I love this. Most 4/5 star options in Delhi are of the towering international chain variety, and lack any genuine character at all. Here, the breakfast room staff will remember your name, I doubt that happens at the Shangri-La unless your last name is Obama. Though the building itself isn't of particular architectural merit - and to be honest some individual decorative touches need updating - the whole thing ties together well to give you something of the feel of colonial living in the 20s/30s. I've seen three rooms there, and they're certainly on the large side! Indeed, I cannot fault the room at all, extremely comfortable and with everything I could possibly ask for. Mine had king bed, separate desk area, sofa/coffee table area and a well appointed bathroom.

Value - I've only stayed here myself on one occasion, and that was in off-season. However, I was extremely impressed with the rate that was on offer, and it was an absolute no-brainer picking Claridges. Rates for their business suites are pretty competitive too.

Food - Breakfast is really rather good, with a great selection of Indian and international hot and cold offerings. Good dosas too, even if the chutney was clearly a little muted. I've had the buffet offering at lunch too, which I remember was also pretty good - especially if you have a sweet tooth as the dessert selection was extensive to say the least. I've eaten dinner at the Punjabi place there, and I seem to remember it was tasty, if a little pricey. Oh, the cocktail bar is pretty good value for Delhi too, where drinking out can - on relative terms - be extremely expensive. I seem to remember that their extensive list of imported vodkas started at something like Rs300 for a decent Russian or Polish number.

So to sum up, I have no hesitation in recommending this place. If you prefer the extra services and facilities that go with the big international chains, then look elsewhere. If you want somewhere in lush green surroundings with bit more genuine charm and character, then The Claridges is for you. I can't even think of another hotel in Delhi where I'd happily just go out for a walk around the block!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SebT82
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, October 24, 2013

Greetings from The Claridges, New Delhi!

At the onset we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your personal experience here with fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to hear from one of our esteemed guests and that too when it’s such a detailed and constructive review.

We are delighted to know that you were impressed by the unique charm, elegance and cozy ambience that The Claridges, New Delhi offers to its patrons. We are happy to know that our location added a value to your stay as it offers close proximity to the business district, shopping and cultural centres and historical landmarks. Furthermore, we are pleased to know that you found the guest rooms comfortable and that all your needs were well taken care of by our associates. We are grateful for your kind words of appreciation regarding the selection presented to you at Dhaba and Aura also the spread at breakfast and buffet lunch.

Once again thank you for your review and recommendation. It was a pleasure hosting you. Hope to welcome you soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Claridges Hotel for 10 days with my parents. From the time we arrived till the day we left, the level of service we experienced was excellent. Everyone gave us their time and attention equally and very professionally. Special thank you to Ranjeet Rawat from morning breakfast who always addressed us by name and looked after all our requests with special attention which made my parents feel very special. Also a special thank you to Kuwar Nath from housekeeping who was very attentive and his attention to detail was excellent in our rooms. And not forgeting Ambesh at the front desk for assisting us with posting our shopping and gifts back home. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the capital city and sharing your review here on TripAdvisor with fellow travelers. We are happy to know that the service delivery by our associates and amenities exceeded your expectations.

The Claridges, New Delhi seamlessly blends old-world charm and contemporary facilities along with personalized service for the discerning travelers that we cater to in the heart of the capital city. We are glad that the associates were able to take care of all your requirements with utmost courtesy and professionalism ensuring that you had a great experience. Your appreciation will definitely be conveyed to the team who I am sure will be encouraged to continue to serve our guests with warmth.

Constructive feedback from our guests is the key to our high level of service that we have come to be known for and hence we thank you for your kind words of appreciation.

Tongeren, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Efficient reception.

Efficient traveldesk

Beautiful design rooms

Good location

Very good food

Very beautiful pool and outdoor area

Nothing negative to say... I was there on business but the place would be nice to go to with a couple...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kristof_Be
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Claridges, New Delhi on your recent business trip and for sharing your personal experience here in this review. We are pleased to know that the service delivery by our associates and facilities exceeded your expectations.

The Claridges, New Delhi seamlessly blends old-world charm and contemporary facilities along with personalized service for its discerning travelers in the heart of the capital. We are grateful for your kind words of appreciation regarding the interiors, location and other facets of the hotel.

We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you soon.