“Some genuine character, charm and intimacy - ultra rare qualities in a Delhi hotel”

The Claridges New Delhi
Ranked #38 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Claridges is possibly my favourite hotel in Delhi, primarily for the following reasons: fantastic location (this is the main reason I reccomend it to people); intimate feel; genuine character; it can be fantastic value.

Now, I live in Delhi, but I have stayed here and I've also visited friends staying here, and been to business events here, so I know it pretty well. I've also been to business events at many other top hotels in Delhi, and I can safely say that Claridges is my no.1 choice. So location then, well it's amongst the Lutyens bungalows to the south of India Gate, Rashtrapti Bhavan etc. This means that the area is fantastically green, with wide open tree lined avenues, and a reduced traffic volume. This means I always reccomend it when I feel people might need a break from hectic days out in Delhi. Within easily walkable distance are the Ghandi Smriti and Lodhi Gardens, and it's a very quick hop to most of the main tourist sites north and south. If I had the cash, this is where my house would be. If you are travelling to tourist sites however, I would personally recommend walking out and hailing an autorickshaw rather than having them get you a taxi from the rank next door. Some of these guys are pretty unscrupulous and I've taken them with friends who were staying at the Claridges, who've found that the driver will try and ramp up the price heavily as soon as they'd dropped me off at my house!

Intimate feel and genuine character - it's a relatively small hotel and I love this. Most 4/5 star options in Delhi are of the towering international chain variety, and lack any genuine character at all. Here, the breakfast room staff will remember your name, I doubt that happens at the Shangri-La unless your last name is Obama. Though the building itself isn't of particular architectural merit - and to be honest some individual decorative touches need updating - the whole thing ties together well to give you something of the feel of colonial living in the 20s/30s. I've seen three rooms there, and they're certainly on the large side! Indeed, I cannot fault the room at all, extremely comfortable and with everything I could possibly ask for. Mine had king bed, separate desk area, sofa/coffee table area and a well appointed bathroom.

Value - I've only stayed here myself on one occasion, and that was in off-season. However, I was extremely impressed with the rate that was on offer, and it was an absolute no-brainer picking Claridges. Rates for their business suites are pretty competitive too.

Food - Breakfast is really rather good, with a great selection of Indian and international hot and cold offerings. Good dosas too, even if the chutney was clearly a little muted. I've had the buffet offering at lunch too, which I remember was also pretty good - especially if you have a sweet tooth as the dessert selection was extensive to say the least. I've eaten dinner at the Punjabi place there, and I seem to remember it was tasty, if a little pricey. Oh, the cocktail bar is pretty good value for Delhi too, where drinking out can - on relative terms - be extremely expensive. I seem to remember that their extensive list of imported vodkas started at something like Rs300 for a decent Russian or Polish number.

So to sum up, I have no hesitation in recommending this place. If you prefer the extra services and facilities that go with the big international chains, then look elsewhere. If you want somewhere in lush green surroundings with bit more genuine charm and character, then The Claridges is for you. I can't even think of another hotel in Delhi where I'd happily just go out for a walk around the block!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SebT82
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Claridges, New Delhi!

At the onset we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your personal experience here with fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to hear from one of our esteemed guests and that too when it’s such a detailed and constructive review.

We are delighted to know that you were impressed by the unique charm, elegance and cozy ambience that The Claridges, New Delhi offers to its patrons. We are happy to know that our location added a value to your stay as it offers close proximity to the business district, shopping and cultural centres and historical landmarks. Furthermore, we are pleased to know that you found the guest rooms comfortable and that all your needs were well taken care of by our associates. We are grateful for your kind words of appreciation regarding the selection presented to you at Dhaba and Aura also the spread at breakfast and buffet lunch.

Once again thank you for your review and recommendation. It was a pleasure hosting you. Hope to welcome you soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Claridges Hotel for 10 days with my parents. From the time we arrived till the day we left, the level of service we experienced was excellent. Everyone gave us their time and attention equally and very professionally. Special thank you to Ranjeet Rawat from morning breakfast who always addressed us by name and looked after all our requests with special attention which made my parents feel very special. Also a special thank you to Kuwar Nath from housekeeping who was very attentive and his attention to detail was excellent in our rooms. And not forgeting Ambesh at the front desk for assisting us with posting our shopping and gifts back home. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the capital city and sharing your review here on TripAdvisor with fellow travelers. We are happy to know that the service delivery by our associates and amenities exceeded your expectations.

The Claridges, New Delhi seamlessly blends old-world charm and contemporary facilities along with personalized service for the discerning travelers that we cater to in the heart of the capital city. We are glad that the associates were able to take care of all your requirements with utmost courtesy and professionalism ensuring that you had a great experience. Your appreciation will definitely be conveyed to the team who I am sure will be encouraged to continue to serve our guests with warmth.

Constructive feedback from our guests is the key to our high level of service that we have come to be known for and hence we thank you for your kind words of appreciation.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Efficient reception.

Efficient traveldesk

Beautiful design rooms

Good location

Very good food

Very beautiful pool and outdoor area

Nothing negative to say... I was there on business but the place would be nice to go to with a couple...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kristof_Be
ClaridgesNewDelhi, Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Claridges, New Delhi on your recent business trip and for sharing your personal experience here in this review. We are pleased to know that the service delivery by our associates and facilities exceeded your expectations.

The Claridges, New Delhi seamlessly blends old-world charm and contemporary facilities along with personalized service for its discerning travelers in the heart of the capital. We are grateful for your kind words of appreciation regarding the interiors, location and other facets of the hotel.

We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Once again, I am sharing a lucky find. The Claridges is a great hotel. Warm greetings, personal service, great rooms, excellent food, lovely garden for afternoon tea or evening drinks... Great value for money. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Don't expect rooms with views. But 104 was great. 336 was a tad smaller, but very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ClaridgesNewDelhi, General Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to New Delhi and for sharing your valuable review here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our pricing worth the value.

The Claridges, New Delhi seamlessly blends old-world charm and contemporary facilities along with personalized service for its discerning travelers in the heart of the capital. We are glad that we fell at par with your expectations on all the parameters that our team and associates strictly focus on to deliver a memorable stay experience to our patrons.

Thank you for your recommendation and look forward to the privilege of welcoming you again.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have stayed at The Claridges on a number of occasions over the past few years. Previous stays have been variable - from great to average, but I'm happy to report that my recent visit (August 2013) was extremely pleasurable.

The level of service I experienced was excellent - from front desk, to housekeeping, and restaurant staff. All were terrific. I entertained a business client to dinner in Dhaba. Both my guest and I were delighted with food and exceptional service. Bravo!

My room was spacious, comfortable and well equipped, and had everything a business traveller would need.

Location-wise, The Clardges is ideal for both business & pleasure. Close to the main tourist sites and amenities, and a relatively short drive to the International and Domestic airports. For guests happy to take the Metro, the Racecourse metro station is just a short walk away, but if a taxi is your preferred mode of transport, there is a plentiful supply at close at hand to whisk you away to your chosen destination.

Despite some renovation work taking part at the time of my visit, I was really impressed with this beautiful, art-deco style property, and would have no hesitation in recommending guests to add The Claridges to their short-list of hotels in New Delhi

Room Tip: A higher floor room at the front of the hotel may be worth considerring
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
ClaridgesNewDelhi, General Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us on your recent business trip and sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor with fellow travelers. We are always delighted to hear from our esteemed guests and it is indeed encouraging to learn about your recent rendezvous with The Claridges, New Delhi.

We are happy to know that you found the service delivery, North-Indian food at the Dhaba and amenities at par with your expectations. Moreover, we are glad that our location in the heart of the city, added value to your stay.

We thank you for your repeated patronage and recommendation. We look forward to the privilege of hosting you again.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed 6 nights - spacious room and very good bed & pillows - view over parking but not an issue. Bathroom excellent with loads of accessories. Good minibar. Free bottled water every day. Breakfast excellent especially if you like dosas! Good price for the location and service. Taxies at call reliable - rented one for 2 days sightseeing - excellent and very safe! All in all a very good hotel right across Lodhi Garden and close to the city. Recommendable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Copenhagen_1448
ClaridgesNewDelhi, General Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was an honor to have served you at The Claridges, New Delhi. We are delighted to learn that you were satisfied with our living areas. The entire team is pleased to learn that you were impressed by our services and our location in the heart of Delhi added value to your stay.

We thank you for your patronage and look forward to the privilege of welcoming you again.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Have stayed here few times over last 05 years and must say, this is a great property (at the current price they offer- may be seasonal). Rooms are well equipped with a large TV, very comfortable beds, an anteroom type of set up leading to the bathroom that has an array of toiletries that are of high quality. Their complimentary breakfast is a real good spread and the staff are friendly and attentive. The property is located ideally for movement with in the city and with access to different shopping and touristy spots. Overall this is a good Hotel (old but well maintained).

Room Tip: Does not make a difference but may be road facing is better- the one I stayed in recently was toward...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
ClaridgesNewDelhi, General Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for choosing to stay at The Claridges, New Delhi and sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is a delight to note that you found our services and amenities par excellence. We are happy to learn that our location added value to your stay.

We once again thank you for your repeated patronage and look forward to welcoming you again.