The Claridges is possibly my favourite hotel in Delhi, primarily for the following reasons: fantastic location (this is the main reason I reccomend it to people); intimate feel; genuine character; it can be fantastic value.
Now, I live in Delhi, but I have stayed here and I've also visited friends staying here, and been to business events here, so I know it pretty well. I've also been to business events at many other top hotels in Delhi, and I can safely say that Claridges is my no.1 choice. So location then, well it's amongst the Lutyens bungalows to the south of India Gate, Rashtrapti Bhavan etc. This means that the area is fantastically green, with wide open tree lined avenues, and a reduced traffic volume. This means I always reccomend it when I feel people might need a break from hectic days out in Delhi. Within easily walkable distance are the Ghandi Smriti and Lodhi Gardens, and it's a very quick hop to most of the main tourist sites north and south. If I had the cash, this is where my house would be. If you are travelling to tourist sites however, I would personally recommend walking out and hailing an autorickshaw rather than having them get you a taxi from the rank next door. Some of these guys are pretty unscrupulous and I've taken them with friends who were staying at the Claridges, who've found that the driver will try and ramp up the price heavily as soon as they'd dropped me off at my house!
Intimate feel and genuine character - it's a relatively small hotel and I love this. Most 4/5 star options in Delhi are of the towering international chain variety, and lack any genuine character at all. Here, the breakfast room staff will remember your name, I doubt that happens at the Shangri-La unless your last name is Obama. Though the building itself isn't of particular architectural merit - and to be honest some individual decorative touches need updating - the whole thing ties together well to give you something of the feel of colonial living in the 20s/30s. I've seen three rooms there, and they're certainly on the large side! Indeed, I cannot fault the room at all, extremely comfortable and with everything I could possibly ask for. Mine had king bed, separate desk area, sofa/coffee table area and a well appointed bathroom.
Value - I've only stayed here myself on one occasion, and that was in off-season. However, I was extremely impressed with the rate that was on offer, and it was an absolute no-brainer picking Claridges. Rates for their business suites are pretty competitive too.
Food - Breakfast is really rather good, with a great selection of Indian and international hot and cold offerings. Good dosas too, even if the chutney was clearly a little muted. I've had the buffet offering at lunch too, which I remember was also pretty good - especially if you have a sweet tooth as the dessert selection was extensive to say the least. I've eaten dinner at the Punjabi place there, and I seem to remember it was tasty, if a little pricey. Oh, the cocktail bar is pretty good value for Delhi too, where drinking out can - on relative terms - be extremely expensive. I seem to remember that their extensive list of imported vodkas started at something like Rs300 for a decent Russian or Polish number.
So to sum up, I have no hesitation in recommending this place. If you prefer the extra services and facilities that go with the big international chains, then look elsewhere. If you want somewhere in lush green surroundings with bit more genuine charm and character, then The Claridges is for you. I can't even think of another hotel in Delhi where I'd happily just go out for a walk around the block!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Claridges, New Delhi is located in the heart of Lutyens Delhi. This gracious three-storied hotel is within close proximity of the business districts, diplomatic missions, shopping centres and historical landmarks like the India Gate and Rashtrapati Bhawan. The hotel offers a wide choice of accommodation ranging from well-appointed, deluxe rooms to luxury suites, some with their own private terrace. The rooms are amongst the most spacious in Delhi and are a blend of classic and contemporary styles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotwire so you can book your The Claridges New Delhi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Claridges Hotel New Delhi
- Claridges Hotel New Delhi
- The Park Hotel Delhi
- Claridges New Delhi
- Hotel Claridges
- Claridges Hotel Delhi
- The Claridges Delhi
- Claridges India