3,045 results
All reviews dhaba restaurant vodka bar front lawn sevilla restaurant jade restaurant khan market lodhi gardens lovely hotel club room diplomatic area breakfast room an oasis golden triangle india gate five star hotel coffee shop indian food
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I booked the Claridge hotel because of it's proximity to the Nizzamudin train station since we were on a 7 am. train to Agra. We wanted to get our 5 year old to sleep early and to get a quick breakfast before we headed to the train.

When I checked in I was told that I was upgraded to a club room with a smile. It turned out that this "club room" was on the ground floor off the main corridor with marble floors and with the restaurant right behind the room. A wedding taking place at the lobby level resulted in a lot of traffic in this marble hallway which was very loud. The restaurant out the back window had very nice live music--BUT we pretty much couldn't sleep until past midnight because of all the noise in the hall way and the music from the restaurant.

I appreciated the takeaway breakfast bag for the train. But when I stayed at the Meridian the last time I took the morning train to Agra they had their breakfast buffet before 6 a.m. to accommodate guests catching that early train.

The air condition in the room does not really adjust as per the settings so it's either too cold or too warm.

The charge for a drop to the train station--a 10 minute ride--for Rs 3000 is silly.

Room tip: Make sure you do not get a ground floor room on the marble hallway.
Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed for two nights - but one week apart and our experience differed.

On our first visit we were accompanied by our tour operators representative who checked us in and in the process had us upgraded. Our room [247] was spacious , well presented and beautifully furnished. The only negative point was that the large net curtained window looked straight on to a grey / white panel a few inches outside - so no view and no sunlight.

We had coffee and pastries from Ye Olde Bakery - the pastries looked magnificent but sadly lacked in taste.On signing the tab for this we learned that the price you see on the menu is not the whole cost. It is important to know that service, vat and other taxes will add about 35% to the menu cost.

We ate that evening in the Jade Restaurant [ Chinese] - the decor is lovely but the well presented meal was unexciting

On our second stay a week later we did not benefit from an upgrade and our room [ 218 ] was much smaller though still of a good size..The tea /coffee making facilities were minimal and the small tray made it hard to use.Tea bags not packaged so less hygienic.No room clock.
Pillowcases worn so bobbly.
Room 218 is a long walk from the lift / staircase and has a view over the taxi park - which seems to double as a toilet for the drivers.Corridors marble – look nice but mean you get noise as people pull suitcases along.
The all glass wash basin at first appeared attractive but it soon marked with use and the piping underneath was unsightly. There was insufficient room for personal toiletries The shampoo supplied had been used and was only half full.Wardrobe space is wide but too short for dresses.
There was a most unpleasant smell in the bathroom which had the attention of a bell boy, duty manager and maintenance man - but not to great benefit - the smell was masked by the provision of a fragrant oil burner which soon burnt out.. A request to change rooms fell on deaf ears as they said they were full.
Toilet – poor flushing. Grouting dirty in shower. Towels not thick or fluffy.
1 glass between 2 people in bathroom. Positives – good slippers ( but only one pair between 2), shoe covers, bathrobes

There was a diplomatic event hosted on the hotel lawns and the Hotel was very busy and my impression was that those attending were getting priority service.

We dined that evening in Pickwicks restaurant - the meal was average. Waiters were seen to drop things.The tables for 2 are very small.

Only 10 sunbeds around pool – very small number for the number of rooms.

I would have rated "4" on the basis of first visit depsite the very opulent appearance of the hotel.

But the second visit changed our view and if paying for a standard room you should not expect anything better than on par with 3 star UK hotel.

I would look elsewhere when next in Delhi.

Room tip: Do not stay in a standard room.
Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I would say it was not quite five star but we enjoyed our stay and stayed three nights. The rooms were not large but the bed was comfortable and housekeeping staff were particularly helpful. The breakfast deserves a special mention as it kept two teenage boys very happy! I can't in all honesty say that the food at night was always consistent ( we ate at Servillas and the cafe) but on the whole it was fine. We liked the location as it was away from the hustle and bustle of Connaught Place and as it was so cheap to get a taxi there, it really was not an issue anyway. The standard of massage at the spa I thought was very good and very professional. Worth doing.

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We started our wonderful India adventure with a friend who had been staying at Claridges for several weeks. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating. The room was spacious, attractive and clean. If I return, I would not hesitate staying there again.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Claridges is a fine hotel in a good location. However, a few comments. Western tourists tend to confuse "The Claridges" in India with "Claridges" in London. One friend commented that "You will love Claridges in India. We stayed there in London - it is luxury!" Wrong. It is not the same brand. It is totally unrelated. The Claridges is a perfectly fine 4 star hotel. It is not a 5 star hotel regardless of the billing. My friends and I stayed in "Claridges Club" rooms - 3 levels up from "deluxe" rooms. They were 4 star. The hotel is badly in need of some charm. It is nondescript in every way. Everything painted beige/white. Nondescript furnishings and decor. The doorways, etc. are smudged and grimy. The marble in the baths stained. Just a
little rundown in appearance throughout. The service is satisfactory/excellent and the rooms are comfortable. However, don't expect 5 star quality or a truly memorable experience. I would rate both about average.

Date of stay: February 2012