“Misleading advertising - Hotel Mixed”

Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi
Ranked #45 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Room 115 (1 night, vacated due to noise) and 313, 6 nights

The Bad:
The hotel advertises "Newly Designed Bathrooms." When was "new", 1960? This is just a false advertisement!!!
Bathroom was OK, but does not fit the advertisement - hot water temp and pressure too low in the mornings, OK at night.
The breakfast area is too small to serve this hotel when full. The fruit at breakfast hides in a small display that is too small to get my big mits into, so every morning is some game of "hunt the fruit" Coffee seved too cool - I soon asked for Hot Coffee.
Garden - nice, but only room for one! If someone is there before you, too bad!
Hotel lifts - tiny.
Noise from the front - I could not sleep in room 115.
No pool - will shuttle you to another hotel, but why no pool?

The good:
Chinese restaurant V Good
Staff good.
Management very helpful.
Security felt good.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Lovely base for exploring Delhi. Superb staff and food in both restaurants.
We had a beautiful room overlooking the front garden, then two different rooms as we returned twice during our time in India for travelling purposes. Rooms are lovely and spacious.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hbrWoking
Reviewed February 26, 2012

i stayed for a night .Taj group name was there. the reception was missing smile old building nothing to say heritage. bathtubs were old & if you stand and take bath under sower tub base was to curvy. restaurant was OK, too small, was more like a roadside eatery. not value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Subhashagarwall
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Wow I didn't see that one coming. But first let me say as others have said, the staff are quite courteous and helpful, so no issues there. But basically if I'm paying over $200+ per night I expect a 4-5 star experience. This is a 2-2.5 star hotel at 4-5 star prices. (a comparable city would be Beiijing, where the absolutely 5 star Regent hotel was only $165/night). The room is large, but the bathroom is quite old looking, particularly the strange shower/tub set up. There was construction in many rooms and noise and workers creating a poor environment. I actually changed rooms after 1st night since they put me in a suite that was basically a cave. It had no real windows to the outside (there were windows to the hallway).

The small breakfast buffet was certainly sub-par for the price. The bar in the hotel has nightly live music by a filipino duo (man on guitar, woman singer) playing lot's of old love songs. Basically it was karaoke. Finally, I always rate a hotel on the quality of the fitness room and this one sucked. There is no other way to put it. Exercise is better had by jogging in Lodhi Gardens just down the road.

On the plus side, you don't need to eat at the hotel, since the Khan Market is 2 min. walk and has alot of restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Make sure and go look at your room before agreeing to take it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Almanorkid
Reviewed February 17, 2012

The hotel is a heritage building with large rooms and art decor styling. The furnishings are a bit dated but they are comfortable. The service is very friendly and they try extra hard to please with little details remembered for individual guests. The location is very good for the exhibition center and the diplomatic quarter.
The bar has a good collection of whiskey's and the food is good.
The breakfast room is quaint and the service good.
Elevators are a bit small but as it is only a four storey hotel they are adequate.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank FredA7
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed here for several nights with my parents last February. Having spent a considerable amount of time in Delhi myself, I knew when choosing this hotel for my parents' first few nights of their first trip to India that this would be a great location for us and would surely be a nice place. It well exceeded my expectations. The staff were incredibly well trained, thoughtful, and genuinely welcoming. We were very well taken care of during our stay. And when I realized I had forgotten several articles of clothing in the closet of my room, I sent them an email to let them know, only to discover they had already set the items aside for me. When I arrived two weeks later (after our trip through Rajasthan) to pick up the items, they were neatly packed up and waiting for me. I really appreciated this level of organization. I also really appreciated the taxi service provided by the hotel. The taxis were fairly priced and one of the staff always made sure that the fare, duration of booking (e.g., a 4-hour block of time), and destinations were all clearly understood before we set off. Even though I speak Hindi and can handle such negotiations on my own, it was really nice to feel so well taken care of. I also felt the room rate to be -- while definitely not a bargain in the sense that, yes, this is a luxury hotel not a hostel -- an incredible value (especially when booked well in advance) relative to other hotels in its class in Delhi. Finally, the location cannot be beat. You are a stone's throw from Khan Market (upscale market with lots of great cafes--try Latitude inside & above Good Earth, Amici, Khan Chacha's, and Corner Market for WIFI--and shops like Anokhi, Fabindia, Amrapali, Dastkari Haat Samiti, Good Earth, etc.) a 2-minute drive from Lodhi Gardens, 5 minutes from Humayan's Tomb, Sardarjung's Tomb, Rajpath, Crafts Museum, National Gallery of Modern Art, and other great sites. The hotel is also literally around the corner from the Khan Market metro station. The recently completed (2010) metro is a very clean, fast, and both cost- and time-effective way to get around the city. And it's the best way to get to the Old City, which is useless to try to drive around in (cars can only really travel on Chandni Chowk -- otherwise you need to go by foot or cycle-rickshaw in any case). Just hop on the metro at Khan Market (preferably early in day--like 8:30am--as it starts to get pretty hectic in the Old City around 11am), take it all the way to Chandni Chowk, get off following the crowd and you can hire a cycle rickshaw driver (negotiate your price in advance) to take you to Lal Qila (Red Fort), Jama Masjid, and the various markets (e.g., Kinari Bazaar, the Khari Baoli spice market, and Chawri Bazaar). He will wait for you while you are inside the monuments and can drop you again near the metro when you are ready to head back to the hotel. These details are all just more reasons why staying at the Ambassador is the perfect balance of feeling pampered and having a touch of independence/adventure in the wonderful city that is Delhi. All and all, I would say that this is an excellent hotel to stay in while you are in Delhi. The rooms are nice and clean and comfortable. It is a historic and interesting property. And the staff, amenities, value, location, and overall hospitable feel of the place cannot be beat. The only reservation that I have about the place is that the restaurants are good but not amazing and in a city like Delhi where you can eat AMAZING food, make sure you try other places when you have the energy to go out. If you are feeling like being lazy and staying in though, the restaurants here will do the job. My father swears by the gulab jamun served in Yellow Brick Road.

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all fine. We made no special requests for particular rooms (as I often do whe...
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank JEL121
Reviewed February 16, 2012

The staff at the Taj Ambassador were by far the best trained and nicest I have ever encountered during my travels across the globe in terms of kindness, courtesy, genuine warmth and responsiveness but I think they were rather handicapped by the hotel property (and I suspect, also quite painfully aware of it).

While I am actually all for 'old world charm' and actually seek out hotels with character as opposed to anonymous 5-star hotels, I have to say that this property could certainly do with a overhaul. My friend who also stayed at the hotel very generously described it as 'vintage' but the fact is that despite the best possible efforts in housekeeping, the room (especially the furniture) looked tired, tacky, rather characterless and worn. Just putting in clean linen and a few good bathing products and a rose in the bathroom still doesn't really make up for the overall drab feel. The air conditioning system, which is positioned just above the bed, (which I accept might be rather difficult to address in an old building), is really not the best and tends to periodically make a bit of a racket during the night. The bath tub drain clogged in a few instances while I took a shower, although I pulled out the plug completely and hadn't washed my hair or dropped anything down to create a plumbing problem.

The entrance to the property which unfortunately means passing by a similar looking building (located in the same compound as the hotel), which is rather run down is not the kind of first impression to give a guest. During our stay, the large green expanse of lawn which you see in the hotel picture was a bit of a sodden mess with one table and a set of four chairs (again not what you see in the hotel marketing brochure).

Keeping in mind that Vivanta is a new brand, I would think that the Taj Group should be extremely particular about the look and feel of the properties. If someone were to visit the Ambassador not knowing the 'Taj' reputation and of other properties under the same brand, the impression would certainly not be of a fresh, chic, hotel for business and leisure. In fact, my friend (who was from abroad) was surprised to learn that Vivanta is meant to be a 4-5 star category brand and that it is run by the same group that manages the Taj Mumbai, where he had stayed previously.

The only restaurant at which we dined at (Yellow Brick Road) while having an exceptionally good team was really tiny and the breakfast buffet experience of queuing up for food akin to a cafeteria was really not the nicest. Although the quality of the food itself was good and team was extremely helpful in arranging for eggs, toast and other food and beverages at the table itself. [There is another bar and restaurant but we didn't seek these out].

While I will be the first to acknowledge that the rack rate for the hotel is considerably less than neighbouring properties, it's also still not cheap and a lot more than the Delhi Gymkhana Club which is also in the vicinity and the quality of rooms is actually comparable(!!) [In fact the club actually scores higher because it has a heated pool and several other amenities].

There was an event in the hall below my room and the guests very extremely loud right up to 4:00 am. I must state that again the staff were excellent in addressing my concerns about this (and actually I was considering whether to even bring this up, because I don't want my review to reflect badly on the amazing people that work at the hotel) but I must say that this too is really not expected from a hotel of the Taj calibre.
I must also add that being a single woman traveler, I am in general particularly concerned about hotel security and on this account I think the hotel can be ranked exceptionally high and this is much appreciated.

The hotel has a free transfer to a larger Taj property nearby where guests may use the pool, however we didnt have time to experience this or check out any of the other on-site amenities.

Internet is not free of cost and I'm surprised that the Taj still has a policy of charging for internet usage given that several budget hotels offer it as a free service. Keeping in mind that Indian telecom rates are about the lowest globally it really doesn't make sense to charge for what is now considered a basic amenity especially in properties which are aimed at business travelers.

In all, I would highly recommend it for the staff, service and the central locale but don't go expecting to live at a 'Taj' property.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends