“Best hotel in New Delhi”

Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi
Ranked #46 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Best hotel in New Delhi”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I have been visiting New Delhi for the last 10 years and for the last three years have been consistently staying at the Vivanta By Taj - Ambassador. I originally moved into this hotel because of a poor experience I was having in another hotel. I knew the Taj chain and the service is always impeccable. The hotel is being upgraded so don't go there expecting the 'plastic, stereotype' you will get from other international chains. The best things about this hotel are the staff who are always there to look after you, the location - it is close to everything you need, the taxi drivers attached to the hotel. Black and yellow cabs you can trust, don't get you lost and charge a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are miles away from the stairs and lifts - try and get something within easy walki...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
england
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I didn't book the hotel so I had no expectations. But it was great. It has so much character. I was told it purposefully hasn’t been updated as they want to keep it in the original state. I love shabby chic and art deco. So if you are looking for a new slick hotel, this place probably isn’t for you. The service was great, in fact we were upgraded to a suite. It was a spacious and a quiet room. The location is great and the food is excellent. The Khan shopping market is 5 mins away and there is some good, unintimidating shopping for expats!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This hotel is first and foremost very keen on providing services. Especially the manager is keen on making guests happy allthough the staff is not always so smart about it.

So first the negatives:
-A large stain was on my shirt when returned. After trying to remove it, it was still there. They finally sent it to another Taj hotel with what they said was a better laundry service and the stain was almost completely gone. I accepted their efforts but the accident should not have happened in the first place.
-After ordering a lot of in room dining, they called me and asked if it was okay that the chef came to the room. I think it was meant as a nice initiaitve but it got a litlle awkward becaue they didnt really say anything, the chef just stood there. So i thought maybe i should give him tips, which i was short on, but i gave him some change and maybe i insulted him. Awkward and could have been better handeled if they had said something in the beginning in stead of just standing there.
-The sheets didnt look entirely clean when we got there. After asking them to change them there was a marked difference.

Then the positives:
-When I asked for seasonal fruits, they actually purchasd them explicitly for me in the market and brought it to my room. There would be a ripe mango waiting in my room when i got back from work. I hadnt specifically asked for it, but i only said i would like mangoes in general. I think they didnt even charge. However, this type of service is also found in other Indian hotels.
-I asked if they could repair two of my clothes. The staff initially said they would carge it, something the manager overheard and said they would do it for free. The mangers saw that it would cost the hotel very little, and make me happy. However, the staff did not see this instantly. I think the manager is making efforts training the staff and he is very easy to approach.
-They fixed the zipper on my backpack. This is a very special request that they handled well and very quicly too.

All in all a good regular Indian hotel. I chose it because of location so there might be better options if you are more lax with this requirement. However, the proximity to the Khan market (2 mins to walk) means you have access to some of the best shoppig and restaurant in Delhi, allthough it is quite pricey given Indian price levels.

Room Tip: All rooms are different. Some face the road, others the inside of the courtyard. Also, some are quit...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed September 26, 2011

OK so this Hotel is not exactly a Taj hotel, it's a cheaper version and as it has been said by other members, it could really use a makeover or at least a little refresher or event little investments that would make a difference (think plants and flowers on the balconies for example). But nevertheless we had an excellent stay. First, we were upgraded to the next room category. Then of course the staff was very kind and helpful with our questions (and we had a few since it was our first time in delhi). The breakfast buffet is gorgeous, that's fact. The bed was ok - I admit not to the Taj standards, it was a little old. Oh and there was no bottle opener in the room (so how were we supposed to empty the minibar?) But the location is excellent if you want to discover Delhi/New Delhi. Overall an excellent week-end stay (2 nights) and I would recommend this hotel for people looking at the mid-range.

Room Tip: We had the room 206 which was good.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed at the hotel Sep 2011. Got 'executive' suite - best they can offer. Overall a pretty bad experience:

1. Hotel overall is VERY old, not renovated - feels like a $40/night US Motel. Granted they put large flatscreen TV's in the rooms, but that doesnt help if bathroom is old and moldy, and furniture feels like it is at least 30 years old.

2. Service, while very courteous, was very unprofessional - a gazilion ppl floating around who have no Idea what they need to do. Seen this in other countries like Thailand, and very typical, but not something you would expect at a 'Luxury' hotel which this is not

3. specific issues - I booked a room such that when I arrive at 8am it will wait for me - they did not keep the order and when I arrived, they sold the room. Needless to say, very unprofessional. They did give me a room in interim, which was a windowless twin bed room (I ordered a king) and felt like a maid room (with mold all around). When I checked out, that did not stop them from charging $200 for that room for that 'night'.

Finally, the hotel just stinks,literally - moldy smell from time you enter lobby, in room etc.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We reached the hotel late and were given a room on the top floor for which we had to walk through the open terrace. We wanted the room to be changed as walking on a open terrace in rainy season with water puddles all around was not to our liking as we could slip/get wet. We did not feel safe doing it. The hotel upgraded us after some reluctance.

The room was spacious and very good but the bathroom needed upgrade. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We were very impressed when one of the staff gave a bag of croissant for our daughter to eat during travel. The hotel has very green and lovely lawns and we enjoyed walking around.

The lift is too small and was very old. This hotel though was good did not live up to Taj standards redeeming factor were the friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Even though it is old building the environment is very comfortable also it is located in the center of Delhi - very approachable to south and central Delhi. The staff is efficient and helpful, very accommodating. they attend to even the smallest of your request within minutes. The rooms and bathrooms can do with some renovations. The breakfast area is small and usually crowded in the morning but the buffet spread is delicious. The fresh fruits every day in the room is very refreshing. The over all stay of a week was enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
#1 of 19 in Faridabad
Le Meridien New Delhi
Le Meridien New Delhi
#17 of 715 in New Delhi

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Ambassador, New Delhi? Share your experiences!