“Worst hotel in India”

Ranked #236 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
London, UK
“Worst hotel in India”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Really, this hotel was completely awful. We arrived in Delhi at 4am, and were met at the airport by someone holding our names on a sign, as we had paid the hotel for a taxi pickup. However, all the guy with the sign did was call a taxi for us, which took nearly 30 minutes, and it was a complete rip-off as it was more than double the price of our return taxi to the airport. Having to wait for 30 minutes after travelling for 20 hours at 4 in the morning wasn't great either. The hotel was a complete dump, with the manager insisting we had to fill out all the forms there and then despite how tired we were, not letting us see the rooms and insisting we had to pay up front for our stay. We were so tired we decided to chance it, which was a massive error. The rooms were absolutely filthy, unquestionably the worst we found in India (we travelled in India for a month). The 'air-cooler' didn't work, the shower was non-existent, in one of the rooms the toilet didn't flush at all, and there were bugs everywhere. When we complained we were met by shrugs and indifference by the manager, who clearly did not care at all what we thought of his hotel. The rooms were so hot and disgusting we gave up trying to sleep and got the earliest train we could find to Agra that day. I'm pleased to stay that every hotel in India after Vivek was much better. I've travelled to Morocco, Australia, and throughout South-East Asia, South America and Europe, and I've never encountered a worse hotel than Vivek. I could not more strongly recommend that other travellers avoid it.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank mharley86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Paderborn, Germany
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We stayed in a so-called luxury room which was ok to stay at. It was clean, had tv, a fridge and a/c. You could also use the internet (for a few rupees) and book a tour to the Taj Mahal in the hotel's travel agency for a good price.
The hotel is located in a busy market street near Connaught Place. There, you can get anything what a tourist's heart desires - from saris to henna tattoos. However, I would recommend not to eat at the hotel's restaurant and instead look for an alternative e.g. at Connaught Place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Bath
Reviewed August 26, 2009

The location is good and we were picked up by taxi as promised. We had a club room with a quite new bathroom (room 103) but it did not have a window. The check in is slow but the staff were helpful. Sam's cafe on the roof was a good place to eat and it is being made bigger. I think this hotel is a safe bet for quick stop overs in and out of India (I stayed for the first and last day of my trip only). If you want to chill out in your room go somewhere with a window but pay more.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Indifferent views but a good hotel..
I was a bit apprehensive before booking this hotel because of the indifferent reviews I read but I took the word of a friend who stays there a lot. I arrived and my room was booked and the check in was smooth. Then in the morning I ordered room service and it was slow but the food was good.
I really liked the restaurant its clean and serves up a few good dishes.. I suggest this place to my friends an the readers ..

Cheers..

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank AdrPark
Bangalore
Reviewed July 30, 2009

A number of previous reviews seem to be very upset with this hotel and i think that is mainly due to people not expecting what they find in Pahar Ganj --- a wild whirling mass of people, smells, shops and food!!! It sounds fantastic but be warned, this is most densely populated part of Delhi (in a city / country with existing population problems!).

The Bad news : Almost all the hotels are old and score very low on cleanliness

The Good News : The entire area is geared to the foreign tourist so you shouldnt have any problem getting things to eat, wear and show-foff :)

Also, you have a lot (hundreds!) of choice in this area. So if you have the time, book into any hotel for 2 nights and then shop around and you'll find something perfect for your budget.

Oh wait, i forgot that this is supposed to be a review of the hotel. The hotel itself has seen it's days, but if you can afford one of the newly furnished rooms (Rs 1200) then you should be quite comfortable.

The rooftop restaurant is very good as long as you stick to good ole Indian fare... although they do have a wide choice of palatable western dishes too.

And despite the previous reviews i found the service to be warm and friendly. In fact, I had booked online for 4 nights but arrived 2 nights late. I thought the money was down the drain since it was too late to ask for a refund, but they quite willingly upgraded me to a better room!

I think the previous reviews have made them change what they can.... for the better.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Liverpool
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We arrived late at night at delhi airport and were met at the airport as arranged by someone from the vivek hotel. Then things started to go down hill. The man who had been paid to meet us was constantly pestering us for a tip.

When we arrived at the hotel it was filthy and the room we had booked was nothing like the pictures on their website. It was filthy, dark , dingy and damp. So damp in fact the camera lens was misting up each time I took a picture. The corridors were full of old sinks and bits of rubbish. We were offered a better room but at double the price. It was 2 oclock in the morning so they had us over a barrel.

We stayed one night and found another hotel the next morning. I have stayed in a lot of budget hotels all over the world and can in no way be described as fussy. This hotel can best be described as a filthy rip off dump.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaestroPaul

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

San Francisco, USA
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We booked the Vivek online from home and brought a printout of the email confirmation with us, but still got cheated on the price! We arrived and they took us to our room. When my husband went down to check-in and pay, they told him the price was much higher than our email agreement. They explained that we were in a better room. We never asked for any particular room, or course (and this one wasn't great, believe me!). He bargained them a bit lower, but we still ended up paying more than agreed to by email. Welcome to India, I guess, but it was frustrating. They hotel is well-located and fine enough, but we found a much better place in Cottage Yes Please just down the block a bit, which has an amazing veggie South Indian place across from it (Malhotra's Dosa Please) that is much better than the restaurant next to Vivek.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family