“Sufficient shelter”

Ranked #210 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Allahabad, India
“Sufficient shelter”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed one night here. Not very clean and not very welcoming or service-minded staff. I stayed here in december and there were no warm blankets. Bedsheets were used before me. Location is OK if you need shelter close to the trainstation. All in all good enough for one night, but not more than that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
England
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We arrived quite late and asked for a room, they said they had rooms for 600 or 800. He said he would give us the 'special price' of 550 for the cheaper room. We went to look at room 211, it was next to the stairs on the 3rd or 4th floor. It was the dirtiest room I had seen in India, after 5 weeks of travelling!
When I looked closer, I found dried rat droppings on the bed and on the floor. The sheets were filthy, thef loor and walls were filthy and the bathroom was gross and full of bugs and ants! We said that if they gave us clean sheets and towels and cleaned the room first we would take it. There were now two guys on then check I desk and the new one wrote out our details and the price of the rooms which was now, magically, only 500 a night! Obviously the price it's meant to be or maybe it was only supposed to be 400?!!!
So we checked in and waited for our clean bedsheets and room to be cleaned - what a joke! It took about 3 hours to get our clean sheets and towels.
The hotel ma have nicer rooms for more money and we were only staying for one night and arrived too late to traipse around looking for an alternative. By my advice would be - stay somewhere else! This was not typical of hotels in India, and a real let-down at the end of our trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smeegalpie

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked this hotel for 3 different stays in Delhi. The first time I was by myself and I arranged for the hotel to collect me from the airport. The taxi was reasonable and the room I was given was perfectly acceptable for one person. It was nearer the back of the hotel so quieter.

The second room was an upgrade apparently so slightly nice inside with free wifi but due to its location at the front of the hotel is was incredibly noisy and we had dozens of little flies on the floor around the door which increased overnight as the corridor outside was open to the balcony area allowing flies into the hallway.

The third stay had us in a room with no windows but quite large however it took a whole night for them to bring me another pillow as we only had one between two guests.

On the whole this was a good value, safe and helpful hotel for a female guest in this part of Delhi. It is well located and has a rooftop restaurant that is cheap and cheerful with a more expensive and much nicer restaurant next door.

The staff are helpful, at time overly so as there was one particular member of staff who kept coming to my room on 2 of the 3 visits to offer water or tea but didn't seem to fully understand our polite refusal. His major flaw was calling our room 3 times on the morning of our final departure as he thought he was being helpful giving us a wake up call even though I had asked not to be woken.

My only other criticism was the quality of taxi that I took to go back to the airport. The car was awful and the driver tried to pick up a friend enroute which I wouldn't allow as I was travelling alone and was uncomfortable with other men being in the car with me. This however I think is more reflective of the driver than the hotel. The moment I said I would tell the hotel, his friend got out of the car and we got to the airport.

All in all, a good choice but nothing special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the building with screened windows.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank alli7688
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Room was excellent. Bathroom was clean. They have a roof top restaurant with delicious foods and have room service too. Also there are some activities to do like pool, table football etc. It's in walking distance from New Delhi railway station and has many places to shop nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Rooms are clean enough, the staff are friendly and helpful, hot water had a mind of its own though, Sam's on the roof for food is excellent (it could do with a lick of paint)

All in all I think it is very good value for money.

Be prepared to be approached by touts as soon as you leave the hotel as it is on the main Bazaar (the address gives it away) however, if you can handle these guys you'll be okay :)

• Stayed December 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed December 3, 2013

It is a nice central place to stay on the main bazaar and the rooms are clean and modern. The staff are mostly friendly and helpful.. Especially the bellboys.
Hot water can be a bit of an issue, and other people that were staying there during both of our stays found the same.. but be patient because it did come on for us once after we ran the water for 10 15minutes.
All in all, not my favorite place to stay but I would stay again if your after a clean, central room.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fenella M
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The location is good however the room we were given was full of bugs. Small bugs that looked like lice. The bathroom had very bad smell. Some staff helpful however when asking directions to other bars they will say we have bar here and wouldnt help. If you stay ask for a room away from the street as very loud from the hussel and bussel of the streets below

• Stayed December 2013