“One of the nicest hotels in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Oberoi

The Oberoi
Ranked #3 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
Columbia, South Carolina
“One of the nicest hotels in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Everything about this place is first class.
The restaurant selection, fitness area, pools, spa, and rooms are all some of the best I've seen in the world.
I wouldn't stay anywhere else in New Delhi.
The level of service and personalization of service is as good as I've ever seen.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank nealtruslow
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, February 20, 2014

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

we were a group of 4 girls for a break at the oberoi's. it was great. the rooms are very well kept , neat & clean. the ambience of the hotel is great. the pool is very refreshing and great place to spend an evening . the breakfats buffet was lavish as per everyone tastebuds. a wide varity to choose from too. the warmth & care of the staff is excellent due to which one wasnts to re visit the hotel again & again. awesome expiernce .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank anugoel

Gandhidham, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have been staying with Oberoi for almost 4 years now. They have a special way of making you feel welcome and comfortable when you are there and that is what makes it a real good group/property. The facilities of all 5 starts hotel are more or less the same so won't get into details here. For me, the easy manners and warmth which people carry in here makes it worth staying and visiting again and again.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better it is as you get a great view of Delhi :-)
2 Thank RoamingRishi
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your encouraging words of appreciation. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel, team and services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

My wife and I started our India holiday with 2 nights in New Delhi and it was a great start.
This hotel obviously caters for both business and leisure travellers and we found the staff charming and efficient. We had a room on 8th floor which gave us views (when it wasn't misty) over Delhi. We enjoyed the old world charm and attentive service in the bar which was a comfy place to have afternoon tea or a cocktail. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and there was a good "a la carte" breakfast menu. We ate in the 360 restaurant, which has modern decor, on both our evenings there and enjoyed the Indian food. We were delighted with our stay and would certainly return should we find ourselves in Delhi in the future.

Room Tip: ~The upper floors give good views of Delhi.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 929MalcolmN
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our hotel, team and services especially the view from the room and the food and beverage facilities. We are delighted you felt special.

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Hi ,

I visited Oberoi New Delhi recently for a cocktail get together with my expat colleagues.
I booked a table at 360 for evening for about 8-10 people. We ordered for drinks and starters . The restaurant services were not well coordinated , tables were not being cleared for long unless I reminded the staff . here were dirty plates, glasses on the tables for hours at length. The restaurant was looking busy in the evening , so it seemed the staff was ignoring the services required on the table . Restaurant Manager seemed to have very Little control on the staff and their movement , there was no plan of action visible at all. There was a F&B staff Abhishek who was very courteous and pleasant , but he was also helpless as the poor chap looked overloaded with work . We used Washroom in the lobby and to my surprise there was no cloth or paper napkins at all inside to wipe hands. When asked the attendant said " Khatam ho gay hain"

Overall it was a very disappointing experience for me and felt completely let down by the standards of services offered, since Oberoi Hotels have been considered to be epitome of Quality.

Regards,

Ritesh

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

As discussed over the phone, let me assure you that it is always our constant endeavour to provide best of services to our guests and that every guest of the hotel is treated with utmost professional care and hospitality. It seems we have fallen short this time. I have taken up the matter with the concerned teams and taken steps to ensure that such incident does not recur in the future.

We appreciate your views and it is feedback such as yours that enables us to improve and monitor our quality and operations.

Looking forward to serve you again.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I would have given this hotel 6 stars but for the check out experience. Net Net This hotel has a brilliant training academy and a very deep understanding of travelers but they fail sometimes. They could realistically be amongst the best hotels in the world Hilton, Mariott etc included but fall short by just a hair breadth -- read on to know why I say this.

I am a banker and stay in 5* hotels all over the world. Believe me when I say that the experience here will "ruin" every other hotel stay after this -- your standards will shoot up through the roof.

Like all my reviews this will be comprehensive, balanced and pointed for your benefit. The sections are arranged in order of how I experienced them.

OK here goes --
Airport Pick Up -- 6 stars -- I had pre-booked a hotel limo pick up. The driver was there on time and met me at the exit gate along with a a guest relations officer who met me at the taxi bay "addressing me by name" and kept me company while the driver brought the car around. BTW the guest relations officer apologized profusely that due to other passengers he could not receive me personally at the exit gate. The driver offers me water, newspapers, a choice of temperature "and" type of music -- I choose jazz. WOW factor -- choice of music!!! Nice touch

The check-In -- 6 stars -- I arrive at the hotel and there is "NO check in" -- the front desk staff "addressee by name" and take me straight up to my room. There they just look at my passport and ask me to sign. WOW factor -- No check in as long as I share basic details in advance!!

The rooms -- 6 stars --Now the rooms are great and amenities are very well thought out. 2 bottles of 1 litter "spring water" - Qua or L' Quila in your room, multi nation adaptor already there (I am from Singapore) AND sockets compliant with multi nation plugs. They understand international travellers. For example they have sockets right on the bedside tables for connecting multiple devices -- how many hotels understand that? They know that water is key in hotels and they don't scrimp with unlimited spring water during your stay --most hotels give a miserly 1 litre total per day and you need to buy beyond that. They have a single switch near the bed by which you can switch off all the lights at one go.
WOW factor -- The water and the plugs!!!

The Food -- 5 stars --They have a very talented chef. I am Indian, love lamb and have been eating it for over 30yrs. I say with authority that the lamb curry here was one of the best. This meal comes with lots of pleasant extras that they "Don't mention" like a salad, free spring water with each meal, poppadams and many other condiments. The breakfast is superb with every need covered -- North Indian, South INdian, Continental, American etc etc. The issue I have (hence 5* and not 6) is that the price is a bit high even for 5* standards.
WOW factor -- Unexpected extras!!

The service -- 7/8 stars -- Unbelievable!! That's the only way to describe it. This is where the training academy comes into play. The junior most staff speak perfect english. You cannot pass by a staff without him/her greeting you with a smile and eager to serve. The housekeeping guy -- Tarun Madan religiously meets me for 5 mins each evening to ask if I need anything and if I do he gets it...whatever it is!! Only Peeve -- they have butler service for each room and mine was a bit surly - no smile and I almost felt as if I was disturbing him. I asked for the complimentary oranges in my room to be replaced with complimentary bananas and he suggested that I "buy" a cut fruit platter!! Dude just replace the oranges with bananas which are way cheaper than oranges in India anyway!! The house keeping guy got it for me without batting an eyelid - so much for butlers!!
WOW factor -- Everything but the butler!!

Check out -- 2 stars -- Why so low la? Well I called them the previous night mentioning that I need to check out early at 5am and wanted to do it quickly. The next morning I find 2 hassled staff and a waiting line of 6 guests. After 15 mins, my turn comes and the bill presented to me is "wrong" -- there is a charge for Internet which was supposed to be complimentary. After I point this out, the staff give me a fresh bill which has "no Internet charge" but has "tax on the internet"!! They mention the most ridiculous reason ever -- that this tax is mandatory and has to go to the government -- I mention that it does not matter to whom the tax has to go to -- if the internet is complimentary how can they charge me 10% tax on a Zero billed item -- the last I remember 0 X 10% = 0. Should they not be bearing it and paying the government??
WOW Factor -- You kidding me?

But this is an aberration and this hotel gets almost everything right every single time!!!
Love it and can't wait to get back -- Tax on 0 cost items not withstanding.

Room Tip: I bet all rooms in this hotel are equally good but need a small refurbishment.
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our hotel, team and services; we are delighted you felt special. At The Oberoi, New Delhi, we are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

I have taken note of your comment regarding the butlers and the checkout experience. I regret and apologize the inconvenience. I have taken the matter up with the respective teams and will ensure this will not be repeated

Buford, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Beautiful hotel in a lovely setting in Delhi. Beautiful old style wood working and warm appealing style.

Really exceptional service from every staff member - doormen, laundry, housekeeping, front desk and wait staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.