“oberoi is a class apart..”
Review of The Oberoi

The Oberoi
Ranked #2 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Ajmer, India
“oberoi is a class apart..”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed in oberoi, delhi in september 2013..it was indeed a pleasure for 2 nights and 3 days..staff is very cooperative and whatever the minute problems in the room, was quickly sorted out. Bychance, i reached there a few hours earlier than my actual booking time, done by my company, but they made me comfortable and gave me the room as early they could. The restaurent, gym , pool were good enough..room was decent..One thing i say that bathroom should be more spacious, as it was not, but cleanliness was good..the view from the room was quite ordinary..overall a must stay if coming to delhi..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our hotel, team and services. We are glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We are extremely delighted to have you as an “ambassador” for The Oberoi, New Delhi and look forward to welcoming you back.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very nice quality rooms, very clean and comfortable. The bathroom could be a bit larger, but perfectly sufficient. Good quality toiletries provided and a menu of pillow choices you can order. Room Service is extremely fast and provided by the most courteous of staff. Everyone staff member I've encountered has a smile on their face and truly makes you feel welcome.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our hotel, team and services especially the in room dining service.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed 5 times since April 2013 till September raging from 1 to 3 days. Pickup at airport starts with great courtesy and comfort of wet napkin and cool water and information as you travel of places on the way and time to reach the hotel. Arrival is nothing great except for some candy. Check-in is efficient and accompanied by staff that you do not expect to pay tips. Tips policy is spelt out well. Rooms are well equipped with excellent view of Delhi public school ? ,and at distance Baha'i temple on a clear day. 360 restaurant is excellent for people like me who choose veg. Of course non veg must be great by the crowds expression. Majority of staff are under 25? Looks like and they recognize you and your tastes on second visit. One such boy is Aditya. Fruit platter in room is copourful. Not so great is the problem that there is no walking path. Gym is the only option. Overall you will love the simple style and old carpets in lobby. There are alarm clocks given which invariably had dead batteries. They also could not provide oberoi advantage card. Always out of stock and the staff is never there when you are likely to be in the hotel. Never understood why. Few negatives but many positives.

Room Tip: I stayed in several rooms. All were great. Chose with the view I mentioned. That will be good as you...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I have also taken note of your comment on the alarm clocks and the Oberoi Advantage card. We regret the inconvenience. Your feedback has been taken up with the respective department heads and the same has been addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was very disappointed with this Oberoi hotel in many aspects.
When I first booked, 4 months in advance, they asked for my check-in time, and when I said 7.30 AM, they responded that they would gladly have the room ready so that we could check-in immediately, in order to rest from our long plane trip. One week before our arrival, as soon as our cancellation date had expired, they wrote us saying that they had just noticed that we were arriving early so we would have to pay for an extra day, giving us no choice to book elsewhere.
Another thing that was upsetting was that they couldn’t give us 2 hours for a late check-out as they were allegedly fully book, although the place seemed quite empty.
The hotel looks nice and the photos of the room I’m posting look great, as one cannot smell in photos; but there was this awful smell of mildew everywhere especially in the halls and our room. When I complained about it, they said they were aware of the problem, and explained that it was due to the past rainy season and they were trying to solve the problem. I guess they tried by burning incense that penetrated our nostrils and made our eyes teary.(They have the monsoon season every year, mind you).
The restaurant was very good and we ate some excellent curry.
If I happen to return to Delhi some day, I’ll stay at the Leela Palace Hotel, where some Mexican acquaintances, who also arrived early, said they didn’t need to pay extra, and that the hotel was new, smelled of fresh air and had great service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, General Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in evaluating our product and services. At the onset I will like to apologise that we did not meet your expectations.

I have taken note of your comment regarding the late intimation of the charges for an early arrival, I must confess I am a bit confused as the room was indeed offered to you for an early check in at no extra charge. I have copies of your invoice that I shall be happy to scan and email to you. With regards to the musty smell, we do have an exhaustive dehumidification programme and facilities; however it seems that your stay was adversely affected on that particular day. We sincerely regret the inconvenience.

I do hope you will not allow this to mar your opinion of the hotel and that you will give us another chance to showcase our hospitality and services. We value your patronage and would request you to return to stay with us on your future visits.

Kind regards
Jay Rathore
VP & General Manager
NYC
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel service is excellent. The staff cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable.

My room was upgraded to an executive suite. The room had a magnificent view of the golf course and was huge. The bed was really comfy. Butler service was available and she was amazing. She noticed I used more hair conditioner than shampoo so there was extra conditioner in my room. Additional electrical outlets were added when she noticed that I had too many electrical devices that needed charging.

The chef in the restaurant also went above and beyond. When I showed an interest in the Indian breakfast, the chef offered to prepare a southern Indian breakfast one day and a Northern Indian breakfast the following day.

The hotel package I had included airport transfers. The hotel had clearly google imaged me since as I exited the airport, the coordinator called me by name. The driver was one of the most knowledgable drivers that I have had and could easily be a tour guide. The cars varied from an Audi to a BMW to a Mercedes despite my paying for an Indigo.

Staying at Oberoi Delhi was an amazing experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our hotel, team and services especially the butler service, the chefs in the restaurant and the team at the airport

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Beautiful property but what sets it apart is the staff. We popped in just for a drink after taking the shuttle from the Indian Handicraft Fair. I have to confess we were not even staying at the hotel but I felt compelled to write this review because of the kindness of the staff in the bar and how they went way above and beyond.

Upon sitting down in the bar, I realized that I left my phone at the Fair. Panic set in and the wait staff saw it on my face. There is no wifi in the lobby except for hotel guests so the maitre d' offered me his own personal phone to try and call the vendor at the Fair. Thanks to his generosity all my fears of losing my phone disappeared and I made contact with the vendor and made arrangements to pick up the phone the following morning.

Now with that mini crisis over, we had a cocktail or two. Since this was our first day in Delhi, we asked for dining and shopping tips from the wait staff. Well instead of just suggesting we go ask the Concierge, they pulled out the Delhi map and made a list for us. If that wasnt enough they then brought us a taste treat from the restaurant along with the cocktails of our choice (one of the best gimlets Ive ever had in a very elegant martini glass and my friend had a wonderful ginger ale made with fresh ginger).

Finally we decided that it was time to go and when we asked for the bill, they said it was complements of the house. After trying to insist that we pay, they said that the manager wanted to treat us because of my stressful experience losing the phone. Now let me remind you I lost my own phone and created the stressful situation - they did not. And remember we were not even guests of the hotel and they knew that. If this is how they treat guests in the bar, I can only imagine the hoops they will jump through for guest of the hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our team at the bar.

At The Oberoi, New Delhi, we are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

Kind regards
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

From the moment I was greeted at the airport by their delightful staff until I was dropped off to head home my experience with the Oberoi staff, accommodations and service was top-notch. My room was well appointed, quite large and the black out curtains and quiet were perfect to combat my jet lag. The staff were friendly, professional and were always a step ahead of me from wrapping my stray computer cords with velcro to putting my business cards in a simple plastic case vs. the ziplock baggie that I brought them in.

Overall the food was outstanding and I was totally shocked getting a great pasta dish outside of Italy or NYC in their restaurant 360 right there in New Delhi!

The pool and fitness center were terrific but unfortunately I did not make it to the spa which was open 24 hours.

The neighborhood was not a place I would head out on my own for a stroll but, the grounds were large with the connecting Trident hotel so I felt like I could get a breath of incense filled air and not feel caged in.

I look forward to visiting other Oberoi properties!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our sister hotel, The Oberoi Gurgaon. We are glad that you felt pampered.

We are extremely delighted to have you as an “ambassador” for The Oberoi group and look forward to welcoming you back.