“Lovely hotel but has a bit of a damp problem” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Oberoi
Ranked #3 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
London
“Lovely hotel but has a bit of a damp problem”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of our Golden Triangle tour. Initially we were impressed with the lovely decor and very attentive service, and at the beginning of our stay the swimming pool and gardens beside it were open and really beautiful. Unfortunately we found our rooms to have a strong smell of damp, and even after having a dehumidifier installed they did not really improve and even our sheets felt slightly wet which was unpleasant. We moved rooms but the problem seemed even worse in the new rooms we were given (on the 6th floor). The hotel staff were extremely apologetic and did what they could to help us, explaining that the monsoon rain was the cause of the problem, but I think that they may need to strip out the carpets in the rooms and corridors to really address the root of the problem. Also we were disappointed to find the pool and gardens closed for maintenance when we returned to the hotel at the end of our trip (and will be closed until 27 August).

On a more positive note, the breakfast buffet was fantastic, and we also had a lovely lunch in the restaurant.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, General Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our hotel, team and services. We are glad that you enjoyed the location, food and beverage at the restaurant and the health and wellness facilities.

I have also taken note of your comment regarding the guest room and pool closure. We do have an exhaustive dehumidification programme and facilities; however it seems that your stay was adversely affected on that particular day.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience and look forward to welcoming you back.

Sincere regards,

Jay Rathore
Vice President and General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Jalandhar, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have been staying here for the last many years whenever I visit Delhi and my last stay was a few days back. Like all oberoi hotels the hospitality here is always at its best. I always feel like at home here and everone make all efforts to deliver the very best. There has never been a problem even of a minor nature but its high time get the rooms renovated. Very highly recommended and I am of course coming here very soon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

I have also taken note of your comment regarding the guest room. I apologize for any inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My return visit to the Oberoi was as wonderful as the first time. Staff are extremely attentive, rooms are nice, food is great. I really appreciate that the hotel discourages tips for individual service and asks for a bundled tip at the end to be shared among staff, along with the names of people who made special efforts. As an example of the kind of service you get at the Oberoi, I mentioned to one of the staff members that I had seen someone with an International Herald Tribune. He said you could order them the night before, but he would try to find me one. 20 minutes later he found me in the restaurant and proudly delivered me my morning paper.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are extremely delighted to have you as an “ambassador” for The Oberoi, New Delhi.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Golf club facing rooms were very quiet. Airport transfer was very smooth. Used the dining room for breakfast twice in a row, staff were very efficient and generally friendly.

For those eating the buffet breakfast - ask for the menu. They won't give it to you unless you specifically ask for it.

The GM was somewhat visible, saw him around the property a couple of times.

Wifi prices are unnecessarily high, had 3G via cell phone, so did not need to use it. You would think they could build wifi into their room charge.

The property is very well located.

Room Tip: Golf Club facing rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your words of appreciation and encouragement for our hotel, team and services; especially the threesixty degrees team. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

I have also taken note of your comment regarding offering the menu for breakfast and would like to apologize for the inconvenience. i have shared your feedback with the team and will ensure that we are more careful in future.

castagnito (cn)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I've been there once, the lobby and restaurant are very nice, the food offer and service is ok. The room is a little old and the air conditioning is not very good in keeping the umidity down. Good check in-out speed and staff kindness.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed at the New Delhi Oberoi for 3 nights in July. Rooms are comfortable and well furnished. They only provide 30 min of free wifi everyday though. Mentioned that to them in their feedback request and was told that the infrastructure costs are high. Found that hard to believe.
Butler service was definitely very helpful. We visited the restaurant 360 for the included buffet breakfast which was extensive.
The best part of the stay was the service. Staff are extremely helpful and the travel concierge Mona was very resourceful. Hotel is centrally located and is close to Delhi gate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your words of appreciation and encouragement for our hotel, team and services; especially for Mona, our Luxury Manager. The hotel as rightly pointed out by you is centrally located close to the shopping area and places of historic significance

I have also taken note of your comment on internet. We do have internet inclusive room packages and I will be happy to book you on the same if your travel brings you back into Delhi.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed on 2 seperate occasions when I recently visited Delhi and have to say how helpful and courteous all the staff were.
The hotel itself is in a very good central location just a stones throw from Kahn Market and a short drive from most of the main attractions like the Red Fort, India Gate and Connaught Place.
I would advise using one of the hotels yellow and black taxis and get them to wait as is cheaper and safer than trying to get other taxis.
The hotel rooms were fine with all the usual add-ons you would expect. The hotel pools were lovely and hardly used. I would also give the Chinese restaurant on the top floor a try as the view is worth it alone!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the golf course side as you get a better view!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your words of appreciation and encouragement for our hotel, team and services especially the restaurant and the health and wellness facilities. The hotel as rightly pointed out by you, overlooks the golf course and is close to the shopping district and places of historic significance.