“Oriental luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 695 Hotels in New Delhi
Lahr, Germany
“Oriental luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had a Deluxe room with garden view. Everything was fine and clean. Very friendly service all over the place. Breakfast shows a broad variety and is excellent.
We found phoning table neighbors boring, but this is a problem everywhere. Our idea: Maybe introduce silent restaurant areas?!
Internet access (WIFI in room) is very expensive – should definitely be complimentary on this price level! Hotel is located in the government district.

Room Tip: Garden view has a nicer outlook and is most probably quieter
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Dils2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I loved the service at this property. Special mention to the lift attendant who remembers the floors at which everyone stays without even asking. It's a mystery how he remembers it all! There was once when the lift I was in was almost full and he managed to correctly press the lift buttons for us all in a flash. He's so efficient, it is almost creepy (in a good way)!

When checking in, we did not even had to wait a the counter to check in! The driver informed the hotel in advance of our arrival and a staff escorted us to our rooms right after we arrived at the property and briefed us about what's available.

We tried the food at the Japanese and Indian restaurants- both were amazing. The breakfast spread is huge- must try! Room was extremely comfortable. The housekeeping staff were excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jasela S
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The staff is what makes the Taj a wonderful hotel. I arrived after a 30 hour trip with no luggage, jet lagged and frazzled. The person at reception was on the phone with the airline and the Taj airport rep before I had finished a beer. She harassed those people for two days, even calling on her day off. I got the luggage. And there was my request for a sim card, they even worked on a problem after I checked out, the flowers I ordered, the help with Indian menus and food, and on and on. They made my trip perfect and let me relax from the sensory overload that is India.

Room Tip: A room on the club room floor is a step up from regular rooms and includes admission to the club all...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Countess4
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The location of the hotel is too good which makes it a perfect place to stay in Delhi. It is close to market - Khan Market and must watch places in Delhi - India gate, President House etc. The checkin and the checkout was flawless.The hospitality is top - class.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor.
4 Thank Ankkit
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

As a business traveler, there is hardly very few things to dislike about Taj, Mansingh, Delhi. Overall, though a little dated, it is a very nice hotel which provides its excellent services all the times. Amazing Restaurants will keep on serving you delightful dishes through out the day

What I disliked about the rooms are its decor, dated furniture, worn out carpet. I think the time has come for the Taj Group to take a serious review of one of its trophy assets in India

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Raj-Himalayas
Treasure Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

There's a clear difference between being nice and confusing it with excellent service. 95% of the hotels in Dubai, for example fit this description. No so with the Taj. An unbelievably well-trained staff is combined with the traditional bias towards hospitality to make this hotel experience one of the best I've had.

As an example, many hotel restaurants serving breakfast is a mixture of bored staff with tired food amidst sheer chaos. Not at the Taj...no, sir. An attentive waiter noticed that I was trying some spicy Indian food. He smiled and said, "Just wait. I'll be right back." And there my culinary adventure continued for the next ten days. Every day, something unique and pleasing to my palate was prepared.

But what was really amazing wasn't merely that the waiter noticed, but that he communicated the preference not only of the food, where I liked to sit, the fact that I took care of phone calls in the morning, and that I liked really spicy food. And, to take it one step further, his colleagues listened and executed.

One more short anecdote. I travel with my Brompton bicycle (and if you're interested, New Delhi is a great place to cycle in my opinion) and needed batteries for my head lamp. Late one evening, I approached the Concierge desk to ask where I could find a shop that sold batteries. The answer was, "What size and how many? We'll have them sent to your room." Great! Save me a trip.

Like any good morning cyclist, I prepped for it by going to the bar. Of course, the Concierge noticed. Next thing I know, my batteries are hand-delivered to me as I was enjoying a night cap.

And on it goes. The gorgeous doily the housekeeper used for my travel Crucifix; my penchant for French Press coffee (extra coffee showed up); or the fact that my travel toothpaste was almost gone -- yes, a fresh tube magically appeared.

Room service was simply exceptional. I couldn't find the menu -- it was in plain sight, but hey, I'm a guy -- but it didn't matter. The person who took my order listened to what I liked and recommended something not even on the menu (I eventually found it, by the way). Promptly delivered and just as tasty as the Varq, the Indian Fine Dining hotel in the restaurant (which I would highly recommend).

The room itself was spacious, well appointed, and functional, although accessible plugs around the bed would be nice. The bathroom was roomy and the shower water pressure and temperature (very responsive) was excellent. The rooms were mercifully quiet and dark with solid ventilation.

All this was so very impressive. And the level of service never waned for my entire stay. This doesn't even begin to address the great location of the place -- just a quick bike ride to India Gate and other sites -- or the excellent restaurants, or the very capable therapists at the spa, or the invitation to the polo match and high tea.

A delightful experience that indeed has set a very high standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank AppliedAquinas
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We recently had two nights at the Taj Mahal Hotel in Delhi and although the hotel itself looks ever so slightly tired all in all it was a wonderful experience.
After an exhausting flight, we arrived at 5am in the morning and whilst check in is not until 2pm the reception staff found us a room to have a rest and shower in until our room was available. When we returned from our days sightseeing they had transferred all out cases to the new room and unpacked for us.
The room was very clean and comfortable, service outstanding and food very good. Breakfast was great and if something was not on the menu the kitchen staff went out of their way to satisfy our requests. We ate one evening in the Chinese restaurant on site "House of Ming" and the food and service was truly exceptional. The second night we were more casual and just had a snack in "Ricks". Again the food and service was great. When we walked in the staff greeted us by name and made sure we were very well looked after.
If I have to pick any gripes is it this: a) charges for WIFI which drives me mad b) the hotel appeared very business oriented with very few non-business people or families staying (but that may just be Delhi). Overall, for a business trip - definitely, for a holiday - a little bit less so, but for the overall experience - it gets my vote any day.

1 Thank 10ldMan