“Good as a Business Hotel”
Review of Taj Mahal Hotel

Taj Mahal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
“Good as a Business Hotel”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

As a business traveler, there is hardly very few things to dislike about Taj, Mansingh, Delhi. Overall, though a little dated, it is a very nice hotel which provides its excellent services all the times. Amazing Restaurants will keep on serving you delightful dishes through out the day

What I disliked about the rooms are its decor, dated furniture, worn out carpet. I think the time has come for the Taj Group to take a serious review of one of its trophy assets in India

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Raj-Himalayas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Treasure Island, Florida
Reviewed December 14, 2012

There's a clear difference between being nice and confusing it with excellent service. 95% of the hotels in Dubai, for example fit this description. No so with the Taj. An unbelievably well-trained staff is combined with the traditional bias towards hospitality to make this hotel experience one of the best I've had.

As an example, many hotel restaurants serving breakfast is a mixture of bored staff with tired food amidst sheer chaos. Not at the Taj...no, sir. An attentive waiter noticed that I was trying some spicy Indian food. He smiled and said, "Just wait. I'll be right back." And there my culinary adventure continued for the next ten days. Every day, something unique and pleasing to my palate was prepared.

But what was really amazing wasn't merely that the waiter noticed, but that he communicated the preference not only of the food, where I liked to sit, the fact that I took care of phone calls in the morning, and that I liked really spicy food. And, to take it one step further, his colleagues listened and executed.

One more short anecdote. I travel with my Brompton bicycle (and if you're interested, New Delhi is a great place to cycle in my opinion) and needed batteries for my head lamp. Late one evening, I approached the Concierge desk to ask where I could find a shop that sold batteries. The answer was, "What size and how many? We'll have them sent to your room." Great! Save me a trip.

Like any good morning cyclist, I prepped for it by going to the bar. Of course, the Concierge noticed. Next thing I know, my batteries are hand-delivered to me as I was enjoying a night cap.

And on it goes. The gorgeous doily the housekeeper used for my travel Crucifix; my penchant for French Press coffee (extra coffee showed up); or the fact that my travel toothpaste was almost gone -- yes, a fresh tube magically appeared.

Room service was simply exceptional. I couldn't find the menu -- it was in plain sight, but hey, I'm a guy -- but it didn't matter. The person who took my order listened to what I liked and recommended something not even on the menu (I eventually found it, by the way). Promptly delivered and just as tasty as the Varq, the Indian Fine Dining hotel in the restaurant (which I would highly recommend).

The room itself was spacious, well appointed, and functional, although accessible plugs around the bed would be nice. The bathroom was roomy and the shower water pressure and temperature (very responsive) was excellent. The rooms were mercifully quiet and dark with solid ventilation.

All this was so very impressive. And the level of service never waned for my entire stay. This doesn't even begin to address the great location of the place -- just a quick bike ride to India Gate and other sites -- or the excellent restaurants, or the very capable therapists at the spa, or the invitation to the polo match and high tea.

A delightful experience that indeed has set a very high standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank AppliedAquinas
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We recently had two nights at the Taj Mahal Hotel in Delhi and although the hotel itself looks ever so slightly tired all in all it was a wonderful experience.
After an exhausting flight, we arrived at 5am in the morning and whilst check in is not until 2pm the reception staff found us a room to have a rest and shower in until our room was available. When we returned from our days sightseeing they had transferred all out cases to the new room and unpacked for us.
The room was very clean and comfortable, service outstanding and food very good. Breakfast was great and if something was not on the menu the kitchen staff went out of their way to satisfy our requests. We ate one evening in the Chinese restaurant on site "House of Ming" and the food and service was truly exceptional. The second night we were more casual and just had a snack in "Ricks". Again the food and service was great. When we walked in the staff greeted us by name and made sure we were very well looked after.
If I have to pick any gripes is it this: a) charges for WIFI which drives me mad b) the hotel appeared very business oriented with very few non-business people or families staying (but that may just be Delhi). Overall, for a business trip - definitely, for a holiday - a little bit less so, but for the overall experience - it gets my vote any day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 10ldMan
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The staff, as you always find at a Taj hotel, were brilliant and helpful. The rooms are nice, if starting to look a little dated now - a good refurb wouldn't hurt. But all was comfortable and functioning. Except the wifi, which was truly awful! I don't know if I just had a bad room but my collegue across the corridor also had problems. His was solved in about 10 mins, mine took over 5 hours across two days!! It was so painful. So an upgrade on their current system wouldn't go amiss. If you were just a tourist this would not be an issue but as I was on business and reliant on the wifi this was a real problem for me. The staff worked desperately hard to try and resolve and I can't fault them for their amazing attempts at was was clearly a bit of a knackered system!!
I would also say this hotel seemed to be in the middle of the embassy district so I don't know how amazing that would be for tourists as far as getting around would be? Fine for our purposes though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SarahandRichP
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The experience of two nights was simply super! A warm welcome with personalized & prompt check in. The rooms were spacious, comforting & excellent service. The staff was friendly & very helpful in all respects. Room view gave us clear sight of Rapath from Rashtrapati Bhavan till India Gate.

As always, the spread at Taj is lavish; with such a hearty breakfast we were pumped up for our numerous sight seeing expeditions. Our evenings were spent in & around Khan Market which is hardly a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

In short, we had a wonderful stay & would love to keep coming back. Definitely to be recommended to friends/families if visiting Delhi.

Regards,
On behalf of Dr (Mrs) Jimi Desai

Room Tip: We loved room no. 329
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ameetmdesai
singapore
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at Taj Mahal Hotel in New Delhi for one night with my family and really it was an amazing experience. The check-in process was very friendly and the staff was very helpfull. The rooms were nice, clean and spacy. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was very beautifull. The food was awesome. We really had a very good time and enjoyed a lot. Will visit again to this Hotel in future very soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice and spacy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CoolPraveen
Luang Prabang, Laos
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The outstanding feature of this hotel is the amazingly attentive service that all staff have clearly been trained to provide. Other than that, it kind of reminds one of the 80s, and although is clean, some of it needs simply to be refurbished. The room and bed were very comfortable, but the bathroom was dated. Breakfast is fine (try a rava masala dosa) and the Varq restaurant in the basement is one of the best in town. Prices for drinks at the bar are high ($20 for a cocktail) as well as for room service, etc. The location is great, close to Khan Market and Lodi gardens, good for early morning walk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business