“Not quite top-notch”
Review of Taj Mahal Hotel

Taj Mahal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I used to stay regularly at the Taj Palace but last month was the first time for six years.

Most aspects were still exceptional but there were some weaker areas. For example I allowed 45 minutes for afternoon tea before a 4.30 appointment but had to wait 30 minutes for anything to come. Also I was staying in the Taj Club, and I thought that breakfast there was very limited compared to the lavish buffet downstairs. I ate downstairs for the rest of my stay. Finally, I couldn't access my personal email account through the business centre - this was frustrating but may have been beyond the hotel's control.

But this is largely fine-tuningl. The standard of the room and the facilities was outstanding; the staff were most courteous and helpful; the swimming pool was a welcome relaxation at the end of the day; and the room service was first-class.

Also it is extremely good value, certainly by European standards.

Room Tip: I think they're all the same
2  Thank WeasB

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I would say I expected what I found, luxuary. I have to say that the confort and the service are superior, but it is also a strange sensation, as you find yourself surrounded by a country of any different colours, richness and culture.
The hotel by itself reaches the european standard I am used and the price are absolutely competitive on the same mentioned standard. I had a little problem with some knee injuriy and the people have been helpful providing me more pillows.
A very good choice

1  Thank giulioenrico
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Hi,

They cheated me out of 3500 rupees offer that I was eligiable for , and as I was in a hurry on my check out , I forgot about it. They also tried to bill me close to 100 $ for a hotel taxi drop off and pick up . Eventually ended up paying 20$ ( with the help from a nice guy at the concierge who understood what customer service was).

I dont recommend this one. There are many more hotels to be in in Delhi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sam N
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed at Taj Mansingh (as we call it) with my brother in-law about a year back, and both of us were completely blown with their quality of service.

The rooms are comfortable and leverage technology to full extent. I was pleased to realize that they provided a remote to control all the light, fan and other electrical equipment in the room, thus negating the need to walk to a switch board each time. The bed was very comfortable to sleep in and we simply loved it.

Breakfast was very delicious, though we felt options were tad limited when compared with other hotels of its class. I forgot my sun glass on the breakfast table, and by the time we returned to our room, there was a fax waiting for us with details of the desk / person who has my sun glasses. We called that person and he sent it over to the room immediately. This just goes to show the quality of service the hotel has achieved!

The hotel seemed to charge massive premium for everything. We inquired about charges for a car to go sightseeing, and the lowest package they had was about INR 20,000/- for 6 to 8 hours! I felt this is very steep even for a hotel like Taj, and they should have other options available.

Checkout also took a long time (about half an hour) and could have been faster.

Other than this, i felt the hotel is excellent and I'd love to go back and stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Gagan A
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Taj Mahal Hotel has set new benchmarks in what I expect from a 5 Star hotel. The food, the service, the hospitality, the ambience. Everything.

The restaurants are par excellence with Varq - the indian restaurant - being easily the best place i've eaten in india both, in terms of taste, as well as presentation.

I'm defintely staying here again!

2  Thank jaideepc
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We were lucky enough to have a view of the taj mahal from our room. Great service from staff.

Rooms not overly spacious but adequate for a family with small children.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ExpatFamily2007
Reviewed June 6, 2012

TAJ MAHAL aka Taj Mansingh – from the moment you enter till the moment you leave, one thing that’ll make you smile all the time is the thoughtfulness, courtesy and friendliness of the hotel staff – they are the ones who make Taj Mahal EXTRAORDINARY!
Besides that, the hotel being a luxury unit of Taj, is flawless, classy and up-to-date with world class amenities. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, equipped with modern gadgets and one side has a view of Lutyens Delhi – beautiful!!
The restaurants are amazing – During my stay, I ate at Varq, Machan, House of Ming and Emperor’s Lounge – each one better than the other.. each one fantastic! VARQ especially is the best fine dining experience ever :)
If you have the chance, by all means, stay at Taj Mahal.. highly highly recommended. You’ll LOVE it.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of Lutyens Delhi instead of the pool side..