“Nice Place”

Ranked #6 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Ohio
“Nice Place”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I just stayed at the Taj Palace Hotel after my work had put us in this hotel. This is my first time to India. The hotel staff and services were very good. I stayed on the 8th floor which is their club level and was very happy with the room. All of my co-workers commented on the wonderful shower which was very relaxing and after spending a day in the intense humidity and heat. Unfortunately, I did not take advantage of the all restaurants in the hotel aside from the international restaurant on the main floor, Kafe Fontana. The food was good and I never had a bad meal. The hotel did not have a chlorination system for their water so bottle water, alcohol and sodas was the way to go. I also used the gym. The employees and equipment was also very good. Nothing was broken and everything was clean. The hotel also provided a shuttle service to the Agra. The service was just fine but Agra is another story....

My only issue was checking out. They insisted on checking on my room before I checked out. The receptionist on the 8th floor, asked if I had used the mini-bar which I had not. Once I denied using it, she sent another employee to my room I assume to verify this. This upset me. Not sure what the reason was and the hotel receptionist would not provide me an explanation and just smiled. After a couple of minutes, she provided my bill for incidentals but I had to ask, "Was there an issue with my room?" She said everything was okay and then asked if my stay was okay. It was until then. I refused to answer her and she knew I was visibly upset. To top if off, I advised her that I had a shuttle service waiting on me and she was holding me. Paying my bill is one thing but holding me up to check the room is another matter. May be because I refused room service the entire time. Two of my co-workers caught hotel employees in their room when they did not answer the phone. One of them woke up to find an hotel employee staring at him over his bed. The co-worker was like what is going on? The employee stated he did not answer the phone and so they were checking on him. The employee said he was sorry and ran out of the room. The co-worker before he could get his wits together did not go after him. The co-worker did not even ask for a wake up call. The other co-worker did and got another visit inside his room when he failed to answer. I have traveled around the world and have never experienced this type of treatment. I was not happy with her because I felt my integrity was being questioned and frankly was insulted. Is this a standard practice on their club level I do not know. Unfortunately, the limited language barrier hindered our conversation. If I was provided with an explanation I would have felt better.
Would I stay at Taj Palace yes with reservation.?? aside from this 10 minute experience.

1 Thank secretwork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
rogers222
Reviewed July 26, 2013

A terrific hotel in one of the nicer neighborhoods in New Delhi. No complaints -- except for the over-engineered light switches. You have to be a computer technician to turn the lights on and off. You'll find yourself stumbling around in the dark pushing buttons like a chimp in a primate lab, hoping a light comes on. Note to hotel manager, do your guests a favor and install simple light switches instead of your million dollar light "system".

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed several times during a golden triangle/himalayas trip. Security is tight but good, quite quick to get in . Stayed in both ordinary and Taj Club rooms. Ordinary rooms are fine but Taj Club rooms with butler are fantastic. Took us a while to work out all the electric switches.
Food at Kafe Fontana was very good, no complaints at all. Blue ginger was not my cup of tea and also too dark.
Staff all excellent, especially the guys at the pool, best service ever with replenished cool water and fruit provided with a superb smile. Close enough to all attractions to get around easily.Only down side is price charged for alcohol is extortionate as with most Indian hotels.
Would definetely stay again if in Delhi once more.

Room Tip: Taj club are great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank norfolknic
Indore, India
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this beautiful hotel for 3 days, to attend a conference on real estate . It located in the city but adjoining a large green belt so it gives spectacular view from upper floors.
The hotel is decorated very tastefully with antiques from various places of India. Specially 'Khajana' is worth to see.
Services is best, as all Taj hotels usually has . All staff from bottom to top, always greet you when they see you. Food is also nice but not best.

• Stayed July 2013
Ahmedabad
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had stayed for about 2 nights at the Taj Palace hotel in New Delhi. The hotel is a very old property and very well known. However it requires some renovation. The interiors are looking old and though nothing is actually wanting repairs, the look is neither heritage nor modern.

The service was very good. The people were well trained and facilities of gym, restaurant and pool were 5 star class. The food was also good. It was as much authentic Indian as much a 5 start can get.

The rooms were ok.. not bad not good. There is no great view so can practically stay anywhere.

Auckland
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Of all the hotel experiences I have had, the Taj Palace in New Delhi is surely one of the very best. OK, so a high standard is a given when one stays in a Palace hotel. But this one is special. Apart from the quiet, superb comfort, the ambiance and the superior cuisine, what really blew me away was the service.

Each and every member of their staff is nothing short of outstanding. The butler service, in particular, was so good that I would travel all the way to Delhi just to experience that level of service once again! All this, plus the fact that it is so conveniently located in the Diplomatic Enclave, puts this hotel at the very top of my list. And it isn't as expensive as you would think, given that it's a Palace hotel. Really.

Enough said - all that you need to do is book in, and experience its unusual charm for yourself. Oh, by the way, they make the check-in process a pleasure too (even by 5-star standards).

Room Tip: All their rooms are great - just go ahead, pick one and make your booking. Enjoy!
New Delhi, India
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I would love to stay in this hotel the next time I get a chance. I always return to this hotel for the warmth and service that I get every time. The service can be a bit slow at times but is compensated by the warmth and smile. The Taj Club floors are surely the best choice if your budget allows. Excellent dining options also available and the food is awesome. Room Service is a great option if you wish to relax and not step down to the restaurants. The staff is very accommodating and goes an extra mile to make your stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Opt for the Taj Club Floor rooms if you can.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo