“Wish I could have stayed longer”

Taj Diplomatic Enclave, New Delhi
Ranked #7 of 728 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Taj Palace for one night last week, and I shall definitely be staying there again. From the driver who picked me up from the airport to the gentleman who delivered the room service, the whole stay was a pleasure and one that I hope to repeat on my next trip to Delhi.

I had a corner room which was beautiful, a sofa/ living room style area and a chaise longue next to the (HUGE) bed. As with most of the older Taj properties, the bathroom wasn't very modern (ie the shower is a stand up in the bath style), but this did not in any way detract from the room.

Breakfast was an absolute feast, with a very tantalising view of the pool which unfortunately i didn't get a chance to use. For another meal I had room service and opted for the papdi chaat and ras malai. The papdi chaat was really good, it's kind of street style food with the taj touch!

For dinner before I had to leave for the airport late at night, I ate at the Orient Express restaurant - definitely worth a try.

I have stayed at all 3 Taj properties in Delhi and this is, in my opinion, by far the best one. I would also rank it about the ITC Maurya (which was also a very good hotel, the Taj service is just second to none).

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very spacious
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 8, 2012

The Taj Palace is synonymous with luxury. They think of everything. From the moment you walk onto the property, you encounter warm, genuine smiles and a commitment to make your stay memorable. Every request is carefully considered and delivered with grace, efficiency and a smile. Undoubtedly my favourite service experience of any hotel around the world. Rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated (loved the linen and furniture). Try the Orient Express for dinner, a real treat!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Maruping M
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed in the Taj in Delhi on three separate nights in October when I was touring with Riviera Travel. I can honestly say that the hotel was wonderful, particularly when we made our return stays. It really did feel as though we were returning home. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming. The rooms were very comfortable. Bottled water was supplied for teeth cleaning so no problems with using tap water. We visited the bar one evening and were delighted to find that we had timed it with Happy Hour. Worth knowing as alcohol can be expensive in India. We ate each evening at the main restaurant and each time we ate outside without any Mozzie problems. It was lovely in the night air as the restaurant is a bit soulless. There are lots of different foods available including brilliant Italian food for anybody who is a bit worried about the yummy curries.
My only problem with the hotel came on our last evening in India. Our whole group were upgraded which was terrific and the rooms were amazing but the bathroom was separated from the bedroom by glass walls and we had to call for help to find the switch for the blinds. It was hidden behind the dressing gowns in case you care looking. I ŵas travelling with a friend so the blinds were essential!!
There is a great business centre if you need to use a computer and also there is a shop next to this which looked very interesting but we were never in the hotel when it was open. The location of the hotel was not a problem to us as we were travelling by coach and was in a very interesting area with lots of embassies nearby.

Room Tip: I slept in three different rooms and slept well each time. Rooms overlooking the pool probably have...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GrannyLondon
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed at the Taj Palace for 8 days and it's the little things that make it stand out. An older hotel but one that has been recently refurbished and kept in immaculate order throughout. Check in was very fast, greeted with flower garland and red Bindi spot, reception staff were exceptionally friendly and courteous, escorted to our rooms and offered a complimentary welcome drink and fresh fruit. Cases turned up within minutes whereupon I found I'd not packed my shaving razor, a quick call to guest services produced a complimentary shaving kit within minutes.

The rooms were very well appointed, excellent Tea and Coffee making facilities with a well stocked, albeit pricey, mini bar. Comfortable firm beds facing a Large Flat screen TV with lots of channels and a DVD player with a large library of films available from guest services. LED lighting with control panels by the bed(s) to control the various lights and window blinds. The trend of putting a glass partition between bathroom and bedroom in a twin room always puzzles me. It's fine if you are travelling with your partner but it's not something I really want when travelling with friends and occupying a twin room. Thankfully there's an electrically operated screen in the bathroom. Beds are turned down each evening with a flower and mat and slippers placed by your bed, all nice little touches.

The staff throughout our stay were, without exception, exceptionally courteous and friendly, always willing to take the time to chat, answer questions, nothing ever seemed too much trouble, always greeting you with the time of day and a big smile.

The food was excellent throughout and the Orient Express has to be experienced. Not cheap but it tries to recreate the elegance and ambiance of the famous train dining carriage. There are 4 main restaurants in total with the main one operating 24 hours. There are two main bars and they do operate a dress code so no shorts, even outside the Blue bar on the terrace.

We were aware that WiFi was available for an extra charge but felt it was quite expensive. We weren't aware and only found out on the second to last day that you could have a half-hour complimentary use of a PC in the business center each day to check emails, check in for flights, etc. It's just a little thing but it would have made a lot of difference to us if we'd have been told at check-in. Similarly, the main Blue Bar operates a happy hour between 6pm and 8pm, buy one drink and get one free, again this wasn't mentioned, it just happened to turn up in conversation with the bar staff.

The hotel has a large pool and 9-hole mini golf course at the rear, surrounded by the bar and restaurant terraces. The hotel is situated next to the main ring road so there is always the constant sound of traffic horns to shatter what would be a very tranquil and relaxing area. That said the noise isn't at all oppressive and you tend to forget about it after a while.

Having stayed at a good number of 5* hotels I can say that this was one of my best experiences. The excellent decoration, overall cleanliness and attentive service make for a very enjoyable experience and one I wouldn't hesitate to repeat if I return to Delhi.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank cerbera_4point5
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I enjoyed staying here. The service and food is very good. The location is a little away from major attractions and near embassies. Also there aren't any shopping arcades which would have been helpful given the location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Monica88_10
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Unfortunately we only got to stay one night as we were on a tour. The staff could not be more helpful. The food was very good. Rooms are comfortable. The glass walled bathrooms are "interesting" with both a tub and rainfall shower. The electric shades are neat. I cannot rate value, as we were on tour and room was included.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Very good staff, professional and friendly. The rooms are a nice fit out. The whole place s clean. The food is very good as well, both room service and restaurant .
I have stayed at this hotel several times, but every time I nearly go out of my find with the doors slamming up & down the hall. Most of the time it is the maid going in and out of the rooms in the morning.
At the end of the day if you are getting woken up all the time by doors slamming every few minutes none of the other "nice" stuff at the hotel matters one bit.

Room Tip: Get a room right at the end of the hall
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business