Stayed at the Taj Palace for 8 days and it's the little things that make it stand out. An older hotel but one that has been recently refurbished and kept in immaculate order throughout. Check in was very fast, greeted with flower garland and red Bindi spot, reception staff were exceptionally friendly and courteous, escorted to our rooms and offered a complimentary welcome drink and fresh fruit. Cases turned up within minutes whereupon I found I'd not packed my shaving razor, a quick call to guest services produced a complimentary shaving kit within minutes.
The rooms were very well appointed, excellent Tea and Coffee making facilities with a well stocked, albeit pricey, mini bar. Comfortable firm beds facing a Large Flat screen TV with lots of channels and a DVD player with a large library of films available from guest services. LED lighting with control panels by the bed(s) to control the various lights and window blinds. The trend of putting a glass partition between bathroom and bedroom in a twin room always puzzles me. It's fine if you are travelling with your partner but it's not something I really want when travelling with friends and occupying a twin room. Thankfully there's an electrically operated screen in the bathroom. Beds are turned down each evening with a flower and mat and slippers placed by your bed, all nice little touches.
The staff throughout our stay were, without exception, exceptionally courteous and friendly, always willing to take the time to chat, answer questions, nothing ever seemed too much trouble, always greeting you with the time of day and a big smile.
The food was excellent throughout and the Orient Express has to be experienced. Not cheap but it tries to recreate the elegance and ambiance of the famous train dining carriage. There are 4 main restaurants in total with the main one operating 24 hours. There are two main bars and they do operate a dress code so no shorts, even outside the Blue bar on the terrace.
We were aware that WiFi was available for an extra charge but felt it was quite expensive. We weren't aware and only found out on the second to last day that you could have a half-hour complimentary use of a PC in the business center each day to check emails, check in for flights, etc. It's just a little thing but it would have made a lot of difference to us if we'd have been told at check-in. Similarly, the main Blue Bar operates a happy hour between 6pm and 8pm, buy one drink and get one free, again this wasn't mentioned, it just happened to turn up in conversation with the bar staff.
The hotel has a large pool and 9-hole mini golf course at the rear, surrounded by the bar and restaurant terraces. The hotel is situated next to the main ring road so there is always the constant sound of traffic horns to shatter what would be a very tranquil and relaxing area. That said the noise isn't at all oppressive and you tend to forget about it after a while.
Having stayed at a good number of 5* hotels I can say that this was one of my best experiences. The excellent decoration, overall cleanliness and attentive service make for a very enjoyable experience and one I wouldn't hesitate to repeat if I return to Delhi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Taj Diplomatic Enclave, New Delhi, is spread out over six acres of lush gardens in the heart of India’s capital city. It is an oasis of calm while still being right in the middle of the city’s action. Not surprisingly, then that our 403 rooms and suites have played gracious host to princes, heads of state, corporate czars and high-powered conferences and the grandest of weddings for close to four decades. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, DerbySoftTaj, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Taj Diplomatic Enclave, New Delhi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Palace New Delhi
- Hotel Taj Palace
- Taj Mahal Hotel Delhi
- Hotel Taj Mahal Palace
- The Taj Mahal Hotel Delhi
- Taj Mahal Hotel New Delhi
- The Taj Mahal Hotel New Delhi