“Needs to pull its socks up a bit. Potentially very good”

The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi
Ranked #61 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Singapore, Singapore
“Needs to pull its socks up a bit. Potentially very good”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We just stayed a night as we were transiting through Delhi en route from Agra. I had booked 2 interconnecting rooms for my husband, me and our 2 kids. Check in took 10 minutes, after which we were shown to 2 rooms, both with twin beds. I asked to change to one with a king bed, and was told there wasn't one available. Oh well. As we settled in, we realised the kids' room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Went back down to reception to ask for a change to a non smoking room (which I had originally requested). Got it after a while, and guess what!? We now had a king bed! Amazing that one became available so quickly!
Service at Zing was terribly slow, though we had told them we were in a hurry and only ordered sandwiches/ wraps. Moving our luggage to the other room was slow too. It's irritating when they say it will take '1 minute' and takes 15. If its going to take 15-20 minutes, say so!
The room was nice. Not big, but ok. Thd toiletries are from their in-house spa and very nice. The rain shower is wonderful. I agree though, with a previous reviewer that the frosted glass wall between the room and bathroom needs to be changed!
The air con was blasting to a freezing temperature. The temp reading said 28 degrees (23 in the kids room) and couldn't be changed. The room was an ice box. We switched the air con off, and kept it off throughout but still only managed to get the room to a comfortable temperature in the morning.
Wifi is charged, and rather exorbitantly so.

The biggest pluses are the restaurants. Didn't try Sakura, but Chutney was amazing (see review).
And the location. My main purpose for stopping over was to shop at the Government state emporia on Baba Kharak Singh marg, and these were just a short 7-10 minute walk away. Keep going and you reach CP.
The metro station is nearby. The airport city check in terminal is currently closed for repair, but is just a 5 minute walk away, so really convenient if you want to take the train to the airport.
Price wise it is cheaper than other Delhi 5 star hotels. But then again, you are probably only getting 4 star worth.

Would I stay again? Probably. Just for the location and price. And now that I know what to expect it will be easier to palate.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank 30sumthng
sanzeev, General Manager at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. I am very sorry to note that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us.

We sincerely apologise as we couldnt provide you with the interconnecting rooms at the first instance due to our internal communication error. We regret the inconvenience caused to you and we will be more careful in future.Regarding your experience at Zing restaurant, when I investigated the total time spent by you from the time of giving order to the time of final bill was just of 34 minutes which is an normal time. I am sure you will understand that we are not an fast food joint and even sandwitches and wraps are also freshly prepared on order only. The 15-20 minutes preparation time is not too long.

We do have rooms with non transparent glass wall in bathrooms so will request you to ask for such room during your next visit with us.We have bedside control panels in all our rooms from where the room temperature can be controlled.We offer free wifi to our returning customers under the repeat customer package on our hotel's website so will request you to book your accommodation in future under that package and avail this special offer.

I apologise for the inconveneince caused to you and I will personally ensure an much better stay for you during your future visit at our hotel. Please feel to write me at gm@hotelmetdelhi.com whenever next you plan to come to New Delhi.

Will look forward to welcome you again

With Regards

Sanzeev Bhatia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Auckland
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Good 4 star Hotel. Largly westerners at Hotel. Not the grandest lobby but rooms spacious contemporary neat and ideal for a short stay. More Comercial than vacation/ resort hotel. Staff warm and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012
sanzeev, General Manager at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

“Great Location Service and Hospitality ” Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us.

We at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa, the winner of Best Hotel India 2012-13 award from International Hotel awards asia pacific and Luxury City Hotel 2012 award from World Luxury Hotel awards, Certificate of Excellence for the year of 2012 from Trip Advisor, strive to go above and beyond in terms of service and hospiltality and for you to feel compelled to post your experience of this on to Trip Advisor is much appreciated.

Jodhpur, India
Reviewed October 27, 2012

A nice hotel which is centrally located. However I feel they must review their glass wall between the room and the bathroom which is quite a see through.Not a very comfortable situation when you are sharing the room with other family members including kids.We actually had to tell the kids to look the other way while elders were bathing. But, apart from that, all in all a very good hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
sanzeev, General Manager at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

“Nice and Friendly Hotel.” Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us.

Regarding bathroom glass wall, for your and our future guest's information we would like to share that we do have rooms with non transparent shower cubicle walls so during next visit at our hotel you can ask for such rooms.

We at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa, the winner many reknowned awards strive to go above and beyond in terms of service and hospiltality and for you to feel compelled to post your experience of this on to Trip Advisor is much appreciated.

London
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We booked this hotel on recommendation from our travel agent (who we will not be using again) for our last 2 night in India as a bit of a treat. Our first choice was the ITC Maurya which was sadly fully booked. The Met in theory is 5* but sadly with no personality, the service is either completely over the top or robotic and inadequate.

Check in was fairly seamless but 10 minutes after being in the room we spotted the friendly Met resident mouse. Upon informing the house keeping staff, we changed rooms but the thought remained. On the subject of vermin, the "swimming pool" was more like a bird bath, or should I say a toilet for pigeons.

THE GOOD: Bathroom was good, good toiletries and trendy decor.

THE BAD: We ate in the restaurant once, the food was below par, under spiced (despite requesting it to be spiced) and under seasoned and very expensive for the quality. Upon letting the waiter know about this, there was an army of staff at our table, this included, 2 waiters, the chef and a manager offering to replace the food (we had waited long enough for the food so refused). The reaction was completely over the top and embarassing, a simple apology and adjustment to the bill would have sufficed. The situation was however corrected with one of the meals being removed from the bill, eventually.

AND THE UGLY: I was staying at the Met with my white, English boyfriend. I am a female British Asian of Indian descent. Now I'm not sure which of the afore mentioned elements motivated the staff at the Met to behave the way that they did, but I am sad to say that I was continually ignored whilst my boyfriend was greeted in a friendly and courteous manner. This treatment was beyond rude as often I would be just in front of, or beside my boyfriend, even to the point where seats were pulled out for "Sir" in the hotel restaurants while I was left to get on with it myself. I must take this opportunity to say that not every staff member behaved this way, the friendly doorman always greeted me.

This place needs an injection of personality and a human touch from the staff to get it to average, not to mention pest control. It's laughable that this place has 5* status but then again that down to boxes ticked, unfortunately not the right ones.

Room Tip: Don't. Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ExplorerAdventurer
Dear Guest,

We will work hard in the areas mentioned by you and all needful will be done on high priority.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a pretty good place for a base in Delhi, even if the restuarants are pricier than they should be (no problem, there's a nice new place opened up right next door!). Clean, smart and spacious rooms, good buffet breakfast, and a refreshing pool outside: just shoo away the birds! Ideal location for all the obvious New Delhi sites, some even just a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OnwardTraveller
Dear Guest,

“Safe and Secure with International Standards.” Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Metropolitan is not the five star hotel it thinks it is, but it really should be a good place to stay in Delhi, sadly my iPod was STOLEN from out of my backpack. It was very well hidden inside so whoever took it had a pretty good rummage through my things. I know I should've locked it in the safe, but I forgot just one time. Even so this really shouldn't have been a problem in a hotel like this.

So I'll try to be as objective as I can. Firstly the good...

Lovely big clean room, with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, a great walk-in shower, a mini bar (which wasn't too expensive), a tiny safe which I couldn't work out at first... you WILL need it. Push the small white button on the inside to enter a new code. The powerful air-con was great after a day out in that heat. We had a couple of calls from the Spa trying to sell treatments but weren't disturbed by any noise for the rest of the time.

We were very grateful when we were allowed to check in at 9am three hours early. I thought we'd be told we had to wait but nothing was said. The hotel wasn't particularly busy, but even so it was good of them and a relief after travelling for twenty hours.

The location is very good, close to (but not in) Connaught Place, which ment there wasn't much hassle along the road directly outside. If you turn right out of the Metropolitan then left at the traffic lights you reach Connaught Place with a fifteen minute stroll. This road is also where you'll find a Hop On Hop Off bus stop. It's on the red line, there's a green line too but the red one covers a lot of the main attractions. It's only when you reach those traffic lights that beggars and rickshaw drivers even seem to notice you but they're no too persistent if you ignore them and keep walking.

We ate at Chutneys on our first night and the food was excellent, the service was first class and friendly. I think it was very expensive though. I won't go into too much detail (see my review) but this might explain why we were the only ones eating in there.

We also ate at Zing, which is open twenty four hours - very handy if like us you go on a long day tour of The Taj Mahal and get back very late. The food was good here too but is much more of the burgers and chips variety than curry. This is also where they do the decent breakfast buffet.

Now for the bad...

I think these things are what makes the difference between a three (or four) star hotel and the five star one.

As I've already mentioned, five star hotels DON'T STEAL from their guests!

When we checked in nobody told us where anything was, either in the hotel or outside in surrounding areas. There was no offer of a map or advice of where to go. The lady who took us to our room, not only lacked patience with my questions but much to my surprise she got annoyed, she didn't show us how anything worked then expected a tip. To be honest I could've found the room myself, it wasn't difficult. Then two men brought our two small cases up to our room... Did that REALLY need two of them? Probably not. The man on the travel desk was very helpful though, he gave us all sorts of friendly helpful advice.

When we tried to go to the pool, one of the staff chased after us and insisted we go to the basement to sign in, virtually pushing us in the lift. Then walk all the way through the spa and up some narrow steep steps which were covered in bird excrement, it was disgusting! If you're going to force people to go that way at least make sure it's clean. Then we were back on the level we'd come from. I wouldn't have minded but an hour before we just walked through the open door next to reception unnoticed. We found this very strange.

Don't bother with the extremely expensive unbelievably slow Internet in the business centre. I think it's on dial up, it took five mins to load the site then crashed. All we wanted to do was check in to our flight but we gave up in the end.

Of course I'm comparing this place to all the UK, US and European hotels I've stayed in, but it holds up well... if you can keep hold of your stuff! I think this would be a good three star back home. If you can accept things won't be perfect this is a good base for your Delhi adventure. Please lock your valuables away. The hotel is nice but there's a thief on the loose. An expensive lesson learnt.

Iain, London

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Iain73
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. We thank you for mentioning few of the positives also of our hotel. I am very sorry to note that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us.

As discussed when I called you on your UK number you also didnt know about the missing I pod from your baggage till the time you left the Hotel. As told by you you noticed it at the Airport. We have thoroughly investigated the matter but couldnt trace it anywhere in the hotel. I apologise for this unfortunate incident and security has been briefed to be more careful and vigilant so that no such incident is reported in future.

Edmonton
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel is clean and modern, but just starting to show its age. The Breakfast buffet is okay, but not quite up to the standards of other 4 to 5 star hotels. There is a nice, large, ground level pool. The restaurant (chutney's) was good to mediocre and was overpriced. Location is good for seeing the capital and other parts of New Delhi. The travel desk is very good and helpful with arranging cabs and cars.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business