“Great Location Service and hospitality”

The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi
Ranked #60 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Auckland
“Great Location Service and hospitality”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Good 4 star Hotel. Largly westerners at Hotel. Not the grandest lobby but rooms spacious contemporary neat and ideal for a short stay. More Comercial than vacation/ resort hotel. Staff warm and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012
sanzeev, General Manager at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

“Great Location Service and Hospitality ” Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us.

We at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa, the winner of Best Hotel India 2012-13 award from International Hotel awards asia pacific and Luxury City Hotel 2012 award from World Luxury Hotel awards, Certificate of Excellence for the year of 2012 from Trip Advisor, strive to go above and beyond in terms of service and hospiltality and for you to feel compelled to post your experience of this on to Trip Advisor is much appreciated.

Sanzeev Bhatia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Jodhpur, India
Reviewed October 27, 2012

A nice hotel which is centrally located. However I feel they must review their glass wall between the room and the bathroom which is quite a see through.Not a very comfortable situation when you are sharing the room with other family members including kids.We actually had to tell the kids to look the other way while elders were bathing. But, apart from that, all in all a very good hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
sanzeev, General Manager at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa New Delhi, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

“Nice and Friendly Hotel.” Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us.

Regarding bathroom glass wall, for your and our future guest's information we would like to share that we do have rooms with non transparent shower cubicle walls so during next visit at our hotel you can ask for such rooms.

We at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa, the winner many reknowned awards strive to go above and beyond in terms of service and hospiltality and for you to feel compelled to post your experience of this on to Trip Advisor is much appreciated.

London
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We booked this hotel on recommendation from our travel agent (who we will not be using again) for our last 2 night in India as a bit of a treat. Our first choice was the ITC Maurya which was sadly fully booked. The Met in theory is 5* but sadly with no personality, the service is either completely over the top or robotic and inadequate.

Check in was fairly seamless but 10 minutes after being in the room we spotted the friendly Met resident mouse. Upon informing the house keeping staff, we changed rooms but the thought remained. On the subject of vermin, the "swimming pool" was more like a bird bath, or should I say a toilet for pigeons.

THE GOOD: Bathroom was good, good toiletries and trendy decor.

THE BAD: We ate in the restaurant once, the food was below par, under spiced (despite requesting it to be spiced) and under seasoned and very expensive for the quality. Upon letting the waiter know about this, there was an army of staff at our table, this included, 2 waiters, the chef and a manager offering to replace the food (we had waited long enough for the food so refused). The reaction was completely over the top and embarassing, a simple apology and adjustment to the bill would have sufficed. The situation was however corrected with one of the meals being removed from the bill, eventually.

AND THE UGLY: I was staying at the Met with my white, English boyfriend. I am a female British Asian of Indian descent. Now I'm not sure which of the afore mentioned elements motivated the staff at the Met to behave the way that they did, but I am sad to say that I was continually ignored whilst my boyfriend was greeted in a friendly and courteous manner. This treatment was beyond rude as often I would be just in front of, or beside my boyfriend, even to the point where seats were pulled out for "Sir" in the hotel restaurants while I was left to get on with it myself. I must take this opportunity to say that not every staff member behaved this way, the friendly doorman always greeted me.

This place needs an injection of personality and a human touch from the staff to get it to average, not to mention pest control. It's laughable that this place has 5* status but then again that down to boxes ticked, unfortunately not the right ones.

Room Tip: Don't. Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. I am very sorry to note that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us.

We will work hard in the areas mentioned by you and all needful will be done on high priority.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a pretty good place for a base in Delhi, even if the restuarants are pricier than they should be (no problem, there's a nice new place opened up right next door!). Clean, smart and spacious rooms, good buffet breakfast, and a refreshing pool outside: just shoo away the birds! Ideal location for all the obvious New Delhi sites, some even just a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

“Safe and Secure with International Standards.” Wow, what a compliment, thank you! We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Metropolitan is not the five star hotel it thinks it is, but it really should be a good place to stay in Delhi, sadly my iPod was STOLEN from out of my backpack. It was very well hidden inside so whoever took it had a pretty good rummage through my things. I know I should've locked it in the safe, but I forgot just one time. Even so this really shouldn't have been a problem in a hotel like this.

So I'll try to be as objective as I can. Firstly the good...

Lovely big clean room, with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, a great walk-in shower, a mini bar (which wasn't too expensive), a tiny safe which I couldn't work out at first... you WILL need it. Push the small white button on the inside to enter a new code. The powerful air-con was great after a day out in that heat. We had a couple of calls from the Spa trying to sell treatments but weren't disturbed by any noise for the rest of the time.

We were very grateful when we were allowed to check in at 9am three hours early. I thought we'd be told we had to wait but nothing was said. The hotel wasn't particularly busy, but even so it was good of them and a relief after travelling for twenty hours.

The location is very good, close to (but not in) Connaught Place, which ment there wasn't much hassle along the road directly outside. If you turn right out of the Metropolitan then left at the traffic lights you reach Connaught Place with a fifteen minute stroll. This road is also where you'll find a Hop On Hop Off bus stop. It's on the red line, there's a green line too but the red one covers a lot of the main attractions. It's only when you reach those traffic lights that beggars and rickshaw drivers even seem to notice you but they're no too persistent if you ignore them and keep walking.

We ate at Chutneys on our first night and the food was excellent, the service was first class and friendly. I think it was very expensive though. I won't go into too much detail (see my review) but this might explain why we were the only ones eating in there.

We also ate at Zing, which is open twenty four hours - very handy if like us you go on a long day tour of The Taj Mahal and get back very late. The food was good here too but is much more of the burgers and chips variety than curry. This is also where they do the decent breakfast buffet.

Now for the bad...

I think these things are what makes the difference between a three (or four) star hotel and the five star one.

As I've already mentioned, five star hotels DON'T STEAL from their guests!

When we checked in nobody told us where anything was, either in the hotel or outside in surrounding areas. There was no offer of a map or advice of where to go. The lady who took us to our room, not only lacked patience with my questions but much to my surprise she got annoyed, she didn't show us how anything worked then expected a tip. To be honest I could've found the room myself, it wasn't difficult. Then two men brought our two small cases up to our room... Did that REALLY need two of them? Probably not. The man on the travel desk was very helpful though, he gave us all sorts of friendly helpful advice.

When we tried to go to the pool, one of the staff chased after us and insisted we go to the basement to sign in, virtually pushing us in the lift. Then walk all the way through the spa and up some narrow steep steps which were covered in bird excrement, it was disgusting! If you're going to force people to go that way at least make sure it's clean. Then we were back on the level we'd come from. I wouldn't have minded but an hour before we just walked through the open door next to reception unnoticed. We found this very strange.

Don't bother with the extremely expensive unbelievably slow Internet in the business centre. I think it's on dial up, it took five mins to load the site then crashed. All we wanted to do was check in to our flight but we gave up in the end.

Of course I'm comparing this place to all the UK, US and European hotels I've stayed in, but it holds up well... if you can keep hold of your stuff! I think this would be a good three star back home. If you can accept things won't be perfect this is a good base for your Delhi adventure. Please lock your valuables away. The hotel is nice but there's a thief on the loose. An expensive lesson learnt.

Iain, London

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review. We thank you for mentioning few of the positives also of our hotel. I am very sorry to note that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us.

As discussed when I called you on your UK number you also didnt know about the missing I pod from your baggage till the time you left the Hotel. As told by you you noticed it at the Airport. We have thoroughly investigated the matter but couldnt trace it anywhere in the hotel. I apologise for this unfortunate incident and security has been briefed to be more careful and vigilant so that no such incident is reported in future.

Edmonton
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel is clean and modern, but just starting to show its age. The Breakfast buffet is okay, but not quite up to the standards of other 4 to 5 star hotels. There is a nice, large, ground level pool. The restaurant (chutney's) was good to mediocre and was overpriced. Location is good for seeing the capital and other parts of New Delhi. The travel desk is very good and helpful with arranging cabs and cars.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed a month ago.. The rooms are nicely done.. and have a revamped compared what it was when it was the Hotel Nikko.. Breakfast is kinda good.. not too many options though but decent.. The gift shop has a lot of natural stuff like tea, cosmetics and other which are decently priced. The front desk team was very responsive but the only drawback was that they didn't have a Blackberry charger.. and the managers were not ready to spare the one or may be they really didn't have one(but no BB charger in a hotel!?!!) that they had even after i said that my phone was dead and just needed it for an hour so.. any way overall not bad.. might go back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sparing time to share your experience with rest of the world. We are overjoyed to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you due to the non availability of Blackberry mobile charger. Now we have procured it and its available in the Hotel.