“Hotel is ok, but the service/hospitality is not!!!”

Le Meridien New Delhi
Ranked #17 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Actually, currently staying at this hotel... We decided to stay here on this trip to India over the Shangri La, where we stayed last time in Jan 2008... Just to change things up... Reviews seemed somewhat positive for the Meridien... As a Starwood Platinum member, we were upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite... The room is very nice, but not too cozy, as it is extremely modern...

We choose to stay at a 5-star hotel, so that we could be catered to all our needs... In the first few hours of staying here, I was told "no" at least 5 times... 1. We came off a 10 hour flight and needed to feed our baby a snack... Went to the buffet and asked if we could have a small bowl of something to feed her, and that we would pay for it... They said no, we have to purchase the full buffet for $40USD... 2. Next, in the executive lounge, we went to bring down some snacks and soda for me and my family to our room... They said no, it must be consumed in the lounge... Ive stayed at many many hotels in my time and have never ever been refused... 3. Asked for a specific dish through room service, that is common in India, and they said no... and there were a couple of other instances... Spoke to the manager about theses issues, and he apologized that his staff didnt explain why they said no, but the answer was still a "no" but in a friendly way... This hotel lacks flexibility, which is definitely not a 5-star trait....

Overall, I guess this hotel seems to be a penny pincher... Went to visit the Shangri La to check it out... We went to the pastry counter, where they sell some amazing chocolates... While we were deciding, they gave all three of us a full chocolate to try on the house... We purchased a box of them... AT THE MERIDIEN, we went to their pastry shop, and did the exact same thing... We asked to try a chocolate, and they charged us for the trial... I know it is a small thing, but it should give you an example of how this hotel is.... and this seems to be the case with everything to do with this specific Le Meridien... The small things are what make your trip enjoyable...

Also, the rooms are VERY cold... The heating must not be working or something.... They even gave us an extra heater, which doesnt seem to help...

Lastly, the food prices here are ridiculous... EG: The lunch buffet in their main casual restaurant is 1700 rupees plus tax (approx. $40 US).. The food is just average including room service... Actually when we ordered room service, the breads we ordered were as hard as a rock...

I wouldnt stay here again, and would definitely go back to the Shangri La Hotel.... After this experience, I re-read the reviews of this hotel, and realized that all the positive reviews primarily came from people who reside in India... and that the "so so" reviews were from foreigners... Wish I noticed that before choosing this property...

I hope this review helps...

ag

Reviewed January 13, 2010

Absolutely beautiful hot. It took my breath away. Have stayed at many top hotels before and this beats anything ive ever stayed at. You do pay the price for it. Be wary of what type of room you get and get everything in writing prior. We booked as a "starwood preffered guest" through a family friend which was just meant to be a standard room but for some reason we were put into one of the suites but didnt know thats what is was so when we checked out we were charges INR 45000 (AUD$1,123) when it was only meant to be INR 7500 (AUD$187.50) Big difference! Eventually we got it sorted but just double check before you check in! All in all though the rooms were beautiful, the service was excellent and the food was delicious!

Reviewed January 12, 2010

most of Hotels in New-Delhi being anyway overpriced, I was really disappointed by this one.
The rooms are not super-clean like what we are used to with the other Meridien elsewhere in the world and the Starwood Group Hotels in General.
The rooms are not heated, so from the 1st day on I suggest you ask for an additional oil-heater and extra blankets (no extra blankets in the room either !).
Generally speaking you still won't find much better in the Area.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I spent one night at LM Delhi with my family. The hotel was nice, but not as welcoming as other Starwood properties I've visited in India. Our room was sparely furnished, and felt a little too "modern" to be very comfortable. The hotel felt quite crowded as well, with large groups camped out in the lobby and coffee shop. I was also quite disappointed in the hotel breakfast; definitely not worth the price. The location, however, was hard to beat, allowing easy access to central Delhi.

Reviewed January 12, 2010

This hotel has a beautiful building,enterance and foyer but found the rooms small, reception staff cold and uninviting, food average and overpriced, restaurant service slow and ordinary.

Reviewed January 11, 2010

We spent 10 days in India, and stayed in 4 different hotels, two of them in Delhi. Le Meridien was the only hotel we were disapointed about.
While it did not have anything BIG wrong with it, it lacked the friendliness and charm of all the other hotels. It is a huge hotel with hundreds if not thousands of tourists checking in and out each day.
to summarize:
Good points:
- location
- clean
- efficient
Bad points:
- impersonal
- lack of flexibility (they only had a twin room to offer us despite our booking asking for double, they could not extend our stay for one more day, because they were fully booked)
- weird intenet set up (you could only access the wireless if you have a laptop, not on your mob phone)

So stay there if you are looking for something clean and modern in a good location and good price. But if you have traveled around and stayed in really wonderful hotels first and then end your vacation in Le Meridien, you will feel disapointed the same way we were.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2010

If only every hotel was a lovely as Le Meridien in Delhi.....

The rooms was HUGE and so plush and the attention to detail with the service was second to none. Every night I would have my room turned down while I was out to dinner and a small complimentary supper snack would be waiting for me! Usually some cheese and biscuits with some grapes or other fruits.

There was a lot to choose from for breakfast and the central location meant I could easily walk to connought place.

Definitely one of my favourite hotels!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)