“One of my favourite Hotels”

Le Meridien New Delhi
Ranked #17 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
India
“One of my favourite Hotels”
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Having stayed here quite a few times, i can only say that the hotel has always been a class apart.. Great service, great food, excellent rooms and a good location. What else could a traveller ask for??

The hotel lobby is expansive and beautiful. Checkins are always quick and the room is always just right..

Overall a great hotel with superb facilities..

• Liked — Good rooms and food
  • Disliked — Nothing worth mentioning..
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed August 4, 2009

When you walk into this hotel you will greated by a visually stunning city hotel. The staff are generally helpful and attentive (though note my comment later). It is a hotel that caters well for business and leisure travellers.

The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. We were on the 10th floor and had a great view over Delhi. We had a view of the outdoor swimming pool. I didn't use it, but it looks nice. However, there were often pigeons sitting around the edge and drinking from it!! Hence only 4 stars for 'Cleanliness'.

The breakfast is buffet-style and tasty. There is a mixture of Indian and Western dishes, both hot and cold. One thing that I found quite annoying was that the coffee they use is tasteless and instant. When I asked for proper coffee they said it would take 10 minutes and cost more. I was not bothered by the cost, but rather that this is a 5* hotel and should be doing better on something so basic. We ate dinner in one of the hotel restaurants - for a 5* hotel it was average and over-priced.

One afternoon 3 of us were having a drink in the lovely hotel cafe. We were taking a few photos of each other and were told that we weren't allowed to take photos inside the hotel! And we weren't given a reason!!

The staff were almost 100% fantastic. However, there was an incident that left a sour taste in my mouth. The day before check-out I hired a private hotel car to take the 3 of us to the airport. The next morning, after we had checked-out, I went to the desk to arrange for the car to be brought round to the front. Annoying they quoted a higher price. They could not explain why and could not explain why they didn't contact me earlier. The ledger in which they write down bookings was on the desk, and next to my name the original quoted price had been crossed out and a new price written above it. I challenged them on this. The two staff spoke to each other about me in Hindi and clearly didn't realise that I understood that they were making disparaging comments about me. When I told them that I understood Hindi they looked shocked and went pretty silent! On principle, and after being treated in this manner, I refused to pay the higher price. They responded by saying that we would have to make our own way to the airport. I asked to be taken to the manager and suddenly our car was brought round to the front and we paid the price quoted the night before.

I was in two minds as to whether to recommend this hotel. However, it is a 5* hotel and so needs to be held to a higher standard then other hotels of a lower rating. Given that there are lots of great 5* hotels in Delhi, I would suggest trying them instead.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TravellingDocUK
singapore
Reviewed July 21, 2009

The hotel is located right in the center of the civic district, within walking distance of Connaught Place and short rides from most of the Beaux Arts buildings. But if it is the real bustling energetic and chaotic Delhi you are after, this is probably not the place for you.

The room I had was excellent--apparently recently renovated. Room service was attentive and housekeeping was diligent. In general service was courteous and competent. They provided complimentary water, which is very important for Delhi.

The swimming pool, however, is not that clean, even if not many people use it. Too many pigeons and crow use it as a bird bath--and leave their stuff next to its rim.

The hotel should do something about the touts next to its main gate who nag visitors to visit emporiums. The touts really make for a very frustating time--it got to a point where I exited the hotel's main gate only to enter at its other gate so as to escape a particularly eager tout.

Finally, for a business hotel, Le Meridien does not provide free Internet connection! For such a pricey hotel, though admittedly its rates are not much different from its neighbors, it charges another 12 usd or so for wireless internet per day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Asia
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed in the hotel with my associates for a few days of meetings and everything went as planned. I do not have any complaints at all.

The room was of a comfortable size. Perhaps the only complaint here is that the wardrobe was rather small and the bar for the hangers rather high. There were also bedroom slippers so save packing on those.

I was at the Club level and the room had a shower rather than a bathtub; some of my associates had bathtubs, which I would have liked as a warm soak at the end of a hard day is very relaxing. The shower stall however had this "rainstorm" shower coming from the top. The water pressure was sufficiently generous to make me feel cleaned by rain. And there was also a shower hose.

There were four apples of the Red Delicious variety but the food I had was good and I was not tempted to snack. There were some reviews that the apples were dessicated but not in my case.

An odd incident was that I received different newspapers every day that I was there. Four days were national papers and then one day it was the IHT.

The bar at the 20th floor offers a splendid view of Delhi. You'll realise how surprisingly green and low-rise it is.

I would like to comment on the seeming compulsion of tip-seeking. The reason is quite simple: poverty. The Indian who is serving you as waiter or driver has a monthly salary lower than the cost of the room. I asked and apparently the worldwide average of the wage bill for a hotel is about 27-28%; in India, it is 10%. Arguably, this means that Indian worker is underpaid. But I have also heard comments that it is because they are less efficient, something that I would tend to agree with.

Consider it a backhanded compliment that they hound you for tips. They think you are wealthy. Perhaps because I am Asian as opposed to Anglo I never experienced such houndings even once.

• Liked — The "rainstorm" shower, which told me that management was not scrimping.
  • Disliked — The bathroom did feel a little cramped, especially as I was coming from the Venetian Macau.
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I stayed here for three nights during a business trip and felt that the service let the hotel down.

The hotel is very centrally located and the contemporary design sets it apart from other hotels in Delhi. Also the rooms are fairly spacious (but too dark!) and the facilities like the restaurants, bar and gym are really very good.

However, the service was not what I would expect from a 5* hotel when paying these kinds of room rates. I had problems with my booking confirmation, changing rooms and hotel car service. Overall I was left with the impression that the convenience for staff comes before guest requirements.

singapore
Reviewed July 13, 2009

This is a great place for those who want a hotel that helps them forget they are in India. Colleagues I was traveling with, for whom coming to India was a rare treat, were disappointed that there was no attempt to showcase anything Indian. So this is less a hotel for tourists than for business travelers.

Thank goodness the thermostats in the rooms worked properly. The airconditioning in the rest of the hotel was so cold that my friends and I had to leave a dinner to get jackets.

As someone from Southeast Asia, where you get what you pay for, I have never understood why Delhi hotels are able to charge what they do.

New York
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Stayed two night here while temperatures were above 42C in the city - this very much felt like an oasis. Reading previous reviews I assume that there had been some modernization in the past, and some issues, but my experience was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Decor was superb with imported italian glass tiles everywhere. Rooms were in excellent shape, large, and beautifully done. Tried all the restaurants and bars on the ground floor - Monsoon is one of the top indian restaurants in Delhi and was recommended by one of my Indian friends, the bar has an excellent selection (albeit somewhat pricy). Excellent breakfast buffet in the morning included with the room price.
As previous comments, everyone did indeed expect a tip, but this is the same in any hotel. Staff was very accommodating in providing a late checkout without my even asking. Car service about 2000IRP, which is 4X a taxi, but well worth the 1 hour trip is modern air conditioned car.
Only downside, morning restaurant staff seemed to act too cool and hence getting their attention somewhat of a problem. And front door staff somewhat slow in reacting to requests for a taxi if you were dressed very casually. Location was excellent for business and leisure.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business