“Good Business Hotel”

Le Meridien New Delhi
Ranked #16 of 712 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed February 11, 2008

This hotel is part of the Starwood chain of hotels. It is a clean, modern hotel right in the centre of Delhi within walking distance of India Gate, the Indian Government Complex and Connaught Place. The rooms are modern , spaceous, clean and well equipped. There are 20 floors and all look down on an inner court yard. Don't have a room on the top floors if you are afraid of hights The look over the rails into the courtyard is frightening!

As an aside, don't call the Starwood 1-800 number if you want to arrange a pick up from the airport. The operator asked me which country Delhi was in and recommended to pick up a phone at the airport upn arrival. Now, if you have ever been to Indira Ghandi International, you know that there is no phone. Phone the hotel and arrange for the pick up and they send a driver, and it's free.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Le Meridien New Delhi

Reviewed February 9, 2008

Outrageously expensive and mediocre in process.

How easy it is in business to make ammends - but only if everyone in your team is empowered to do so. Le Meridien staff are there to look after the interests of the hotel first, and the guests only where they fit within the rules.

A poor result from the start, and not getting better.

- Car booked for airport - but not on the list. One was organised in due course, but an ominous start.

- Smoky room with two beds. Switched to non-smoky room with two beds.

- Phenomenally noisy - street noise and neighbouring room noise - TV, Kids. Room itself is noisy.

- Broadband is really a trickle - less than dial-up speeds at 4:00 AM

- No end of stairs - constantly going up and down. Lifts don't seem to go where you want them to.

- On a positive note, the Indian Restaurant was fabulous - though the waiter ensured we ordered far far more than we could eat.

We're due to come back to Delhi in December - but not to this hotel.

Stayed: February 2008
5  Thank walter_k_jones
Reviewed January 29, 2008

The reviews of this hotel are pretty polarised. Most people either love it or hate it. I stayed there with my partenr for 4 nights over New Year and my opinions were a bit more mixed.
Firstly the building is impressive if you like the atrium type of design. The location is a bit deceptive. It is actually only about 15 minutes walk as the crow flies to Connaught Place but there are some tricky road crossings and roundabouts to negotiate, particularly during rush hour. Plus a lot of extremely persistent rickshaw drivers, beggars and touts directly outside the hotel.
The first problem however arose when checking in. I booked through expedia at a rate of 7877 rupees a night but when I checked in the girl said the room charge would be 9000 rupees a night, citing the usual scam about my rate not including taxes (even though my reservation printout clearly stated that taxes were included) As it was 2 o'clock in the morning I couldn't be bothered to argue and to their credit when I checked out I was charged the exact rate I had been quoted with expedia.
Having stayed in Delhi before and knowing the traffic noise I asked for a room as high up as possible. We were given a club room on the 16th floor but the same person neglected to tell us we had been gicen a club room so we were not able to take advantage of the club privelages.
The club rooms are spacious and tastefully furnished (the mood lighting will not be to everyones taste though). The bathroom was also great.
The service and food and drink standards were excellent. Most of the negative points apply to expensive hotels just about anywhere but particularly India.
Firstly you feel a bit like a cash dispenser, dealing out tips right, left and centre for the smallest of services, many of them unsolicited or even un wanted. Even though we were out alll day the housekeeping guy insisted on waiting until we got back to our room before he came to the room to replenish the soap in the bathroom etc - in a ridiculously transparent attempt to solicit a tip. This sort of stuff is annoying in the extreme.
Other gripes. Even though it is winter the daytime temperature in Delhi was about 23 deg C. After the madness of Delhi it would have been nice to sit in the sun and take a drink on the terrcae. However the location of the pool means that the terrace is almost constantly in the shade and the pool is little more than a pigeon toilet.
Another problem is that the hotel doesn't have a proper bar. A real bar is the life and soul of a decent hotel. Le Meridien has a room on the top floor which they call Henri's bar but it is not really a bar - it is just a room where they serve drinks. The place on the ground floor of the atrium where the bar should be in any hotel with self respect sells ....... cakes.
This points up the major problem with this hotel.It does not seem to care much about its residents. It is much more interested selling expensive dinners and shows to rich Delhites than catering to the needs of its residents. This was illustrated clearly on New Years Eve. As we were flying to Kerala early on New Years Day we had planned to have a quiet meal and a few drinks. However EVERY restaurant in the hotel had some special NY function with a cover charge of 2500 to 8000 rupees a head, and all except the brasserie were fully booked anyway. The excuse for a bar was closed completely as it was rented out for a private function so we spent New Years Eve watching King Kong in our rooms with some very expensive room service.

Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank cmf99
Reviewed January 29, 2008

Even for India, this hotel was disgraceful. Throughout my trip I stayed in pretty much all levels of hotels because of availability in the locations visited, so I experienced some pretty basic accommodations. Nothing was as bad as this hotel -- especially given the cost and the purported 5 star rating.
The rooms were small and dark. The lights were controllable from a small bedside console with no instructions. The lights could not be made bright enough to actually see in the rooms unless the shades were open in broad daylight. Putting on makeup was impossible.

On the flip side,there was a hardwired permanent night light in the bathroom and on the floorboard of the room. Even the engineer sent by the hotel after complaint was unable to disable this. It was too bright to sleep.

The thermostat in the room could not be adjusted despite the appearance of dials and controls. The room was freezing and management offered a space heater as a solution. They admitted that the guests were unable ot adjust the temperature of rooms -- only fan speed.

The automated wake up call service did not work. The desk offered me a wake up call and complementary am coffee to smooth over my dissatisfaction at being unable to sleep. The wake up call never came. The coffee -- cold -- arrived about 10 minutes late with a knock on the door. Then it appeared on my bill and a major conference with the Hotel manager was necessary to remove it from the bill.

The key was deactivated at least 5 times in a 24 hour stay. Each time i was told it was because of being in the same pocket with my cellphone (it wasn't). This experience was duplicated by all 25+ people in my travellng party -- as was the room lights and air conditioning situation.

There are more complaints i could list. This hotel is very expensive and no better than a Motel 6. It is decorated in garish ersatz boutique hotel style. At the elevators at every floor there is a giant tv running continuous loops of Tom & Jerry cartoons.

I never write reviews but this atrocity deserves to be revealed. Especially since the cheapest room starts at $450/night.

Stayed: January 2008
6  Thank happyoneNewYorkCity
Reviewed January 26, 2008

I stayed at Le Meridien Delhi for two nights in December 2007. This place was first rate from the get go. I used the hotel airport transfer service which cost about $30 (US). I was greeted at the International terminal without any trouble even though my flight was 2 hours late. The driver was dressed all in white with white gloves. He took my luggage and led me to the hotel car which was a Toyota Camry (very nice by Indian standards). He gave me an ice cold bottled water and wet towel to wipe my face and hands. After a 15 hour oflight, this was so worth the $30.

The hotel is very modern. My guess is that it was completely redone relatively recently. I booked directly through starwood's spg site. I was upgraded to a club level room for no extra charge which included a private lounge which served breakfast every day and drinks and appetizers in the evenings. Also had two computer terminals fr free use.

The room was all wood (walls, floors) but very modern. Plasma tv, control panel for everything (a/c, tv, lights, etc) right next to the bed. Bathroom was finished with mosaic tile and high end fixtures. Best feature of all were the slippers which were the nicest hotel slippers I have ever received.

The service was great. All staff greeted me by name. No problems at all.

The best part was that I got all of this for $206 (US). In Delhi, that's a steal.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Dharmabum87
Reviewed January 6, 2008

I am a regular traveller to India so I've re-set my standards very low and typically go to Indian hotels expecting to be mis-treated, abused, overcharged, etc. I must congratulate the Le Meridien Delhi for finding several new and interesting ways to upset a guest... and to make sure they never return.

Check in was slow but not interminable. Credit to the young lady who checked me in, she did have a decent attitude. Room was dark and quite small. This is an atrium style hotel so there is noise in the room both from the street and from the atrium.

Food in the hotel was lousy. Fish in the top floor restaurant left me with a 3 day case of Delhi Belly.

The gym was small with one off-brand elliptical machine, one old stairclimber, one bicycle, and 3 treadmills, of which only one seemed to function. Gym normally opens at 7 or 8 so I asked for it to be opened at 5 which is my normal exercise time, but I failed to ask for it to be open, with the power turned on, with the air-con on, and with the remote available for the TV, so on successive days at least 2 of these were not available and no-one in the hotel seemed to understand!

The new and interesting event was that one night at 2:30 in the morning my doorbell rang... and rang again... and again. I kept checking, but noone was there! Soon it was ringing nearly constantly It took about 30 minutes for the hotel to respond to my calls and finally they fixed it by just disconnecting it, saying it must be a short in the wire! If this is how poorly the hotel is wired, what fire hazards also exist?

Through all of this there was no apology, no acknowledgement, and when I asked upon check-out to speak with the hotel GM, the staff refused to pass along his name, email address, nor contact details.

Bottom line is that for $445 you can find something in Delhi that will only upset you in the customary ways that anyone who travels frequently in India is now used to... no need for all of these new annoyances!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
8  Thank j889814672
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I'll start by saying that we were going to start our honeymoon in this hotel - but to finish it here was the worst possible way to end the holiday of a lifetime. Thank God we stayed in The Claridges instead for the first couple of nights.
The service is abysmal in the restaurant and at the front desk. In the La Brasserie, my wife and I got fed up with the looks of disdain and the nonchalant attitude towards the service we were given. Emphasis was definitely on clearing the table as quickly as possible. We were even greeted by the duty manager with a stare until he forced a hello out of us - but we got nothing back!
The rooms and the hotel itself were amazing and the service provided by the bar staff and the room attendants was typically Indian in terms of courtesy - absolutely wonderful. We were going to forgive the hotel the idiots who work in the restaurant (although that in the Pakwan restaurant was pretty decent but a little on the cold side) until we checked out. Notwithstanding the fact that the idiot on reception seemed to be put out by our wanting to check out and the complete absence of any eye contact or courtesy, as we were getting more and more irate by his behaviour, a representative from the hotel asked us to complete a feedback form. When my wife explained to her that we were in a rush and had our travel agent representative waiting to escort us back to the airport, she slapped the form down on the desk and repeated her request, which by this stage was more of an order. All of this was witnessed by the rep, who himself was gobsmacked and mentioned that his very reputable international company were looking at their arrangement with Le Meridien.
The door staff were amazingly polite to us on our way out but we were so p-ed off with the idiotic members of staff we had endured that we just wanted to get out of there as soon as we could.
You may find that you like the service but I promise you it is not in the same league as The Claridges in New Delhi nor any other hotel run by an Indian company (Taj, Oberoi, etc.). Oh, and one more thing - in spite of having very nice polite and friendly staff, the outdoor swimming pool is a glorified pigeon bath caked in pigeon poo - no joke!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple