“A Truly Outstanding Hotel”

ITC Maurya, New Delhi
Ranked #14 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My fiance and I stayed for one night at ITC Maurya on X'mas Day. We booked the ITC One Room. I haven't been back to Maurya in more than 10 years. The amazing thing is that the Hotel ambience, service and rooms even got better than I remember it to be. The arrival and check-in experience was most welcoming. We had a beautiful room facing the green area. The ITC One Room is awesome. We had fruit basket, a cake and cookies laid out in our room when we checked in. The room is very spacious, comfortable bed and sofa. Nice walk in wardrobe and large bathroom. Amenities was impeccable. Truly outstanding. We had lunch at Bukhara, it never fails me from before. My fiance and I enjoyed our lunch, great food, excellent service..nothing comes close..although pricey.. well its Bukhara.. The hotel is well located, it took us 30minutes from the airport and about 30 minutes to India Gate and Khan Market..

We had an early morning flight to Udaipur, the hotel forgot our packed breakfast that i ordered when we checked in the previous day but they quickly packed some muffins and pastries for us to take away at 3.30am.. that was touching..

I am looking forward to coming back to Delhi and hope to stay a couple of days at Maurya.

Room Tip: Facing Pool or Green
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
AnilCGMITCMaurya, General Manager at ITC Maurya, New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful feedback for ITC Maurya. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the ambiance, accommodation and service that we offer here.

At our hotel, we work towards offering a warm and memorable stay to our guests, and we are glad that we were successful in our endeavors. We have also noted your important feedback on your breakfast experience, and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

General Manager - ITC Maurya

Write a ReviewReviews (2,783)

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed just for one night at this hotel in mid 2013.
I go to India and stay in Delhi for a night or two about 3-4 times a year. I have stayed at different hotels but first time here, though I am a regular visitor to their legendary restaurants Bukhara and Dumpukht.
The stay was a mixed bag, quite good in some respects and so frustrating in others that I will perhaps think twice before staying there again.
Good things first:
It is good location, not too far from anywhere but away from hustle bustle and is really an oasis of comfort and luxury.
The architecture is really good and art work-by Hussain and other stalwarts of Indian art is something one should visit this place for on its own-if you are so inclined and interested in it.
Rooms-well at least the room I stayed in-is very luxurious and service is good.
Food is very good at basic restaurants and coffee place but legendary at Bukhara and Dumpukht.
Staff try their best to please you and will go out of their way, but it miserably fails-more on that in a moment.
Pool area is good and lie down whirl pool quite nice. The chap on service there was very helpful.
All in all, it should have been a great experience. What went wrong you ask?
Everything, in short.
All people, facilities, amenities are great.
But the system-or lack of it-fails everything.
I was in Delhi just for a day at the end of my trip, arriving in afternoon, and leaving next morning for my flight back to UK. I had to meet a few people in that time, and interview some others to work as caretakers/housekeepers for my parents. I was not bothered re luxury or class of room as I had to stay in room for the night only-on my own. When I booked the room online, I looked for one where I would be provided a taxi to airport. There was an offer on, book a room online and they upgrade you to next level. So for taxi I needed an ITC ONE room, and I booked one class lower-Tower I think it was-or something like that. Top grade superior rooms, just below suits, mind you.
So I arrived there in my own car, having travelled by road for about 8 hours, tired and sleepy. I was quickly received at reception and then directed to Towers area, where you have separate reception and check in for superior rooms. Very nice, luxurious and well meaning staff. But they booked me to the class I had booked on-line, no upgrade. Why, I asked. There is no mention of it on your booking, they said. Please double check, I asked. They did, but no joy. It took about 10 minutes for them to finally say absolutely convincingly that no upgrade is to be offered. I was tired, fed up and late for my meetings. Fine, whatever, I said. Just get me to a room.
Room I got was lovely. A massage chair-just what I needed, and good shower, and comfy bed. So off I went, some relaxation, an interview, out to my other appointments and so on.
I came back in evening, went to lounge to chill where they serve some snacks and cocktails in the evening-complimentary-I found out. That was quite nice as well. Barman was friendly and made my favourite cocktails just as I like the, with quarter of alcohol than usual. I did not want to get drunk as had more interviews later. And they served plenty of very good snacks.
As I was enjoying this, a lady from hotel came to me and asked if all was well-and that is where the series of problems started. I had forgotten the room upgrade that I deserved by now. I said yes, I was having a comfortable stay and enjoying myself. What are your plans for evening, she asked. To eat at Bukhara or Dumpukht as usual when I am in Delhi, I replied. How can we improve our service, she asked? Ah, you can improve communication from your online booking to your reception-I said, and explained to her my experience at check-in. I would not have unless she pushed me. And perhaps should not have for sake of my stay then onwards. But this should not have happened, she said, and in her mission to improve my experience went to find out more. She came back saying the same, no such offer. Right, let me show you then I said. I went on their website then and there, showed her that the offer was still there, and I went ahead and booked a room till payment stage to show her the messages appearing on screen.
Her eyes really opened then. She was on phone for about ten minutes to different departments, then came back to tell me I was right, they were wrong, and offered me to change my room to two level upgrade now, rather than one. I am not bothered I said. I am enjoying, I am looking forward to my dinner and then a couple of interviews, and then a good night’s sleep. I did not want to pack and move again for a few hours. Not to worry, these things happen, I said. She tried to convince me but I did not accept the upgrade. Would I get a taxi though to airport in the morning, I asked, as I planned to release my own driver for his 8 hour journey back early in morning. Of course you would sir, she promised, and off she went to phone again. She came back, and offered me a complimentary dinner at their buffet restaurant as an apology. Very nice of you, but I have decided on Dumpukht now, I said. Don’t worry, I am not bothered, but thanks for offer, all is forgiven, I added. She went again, and came back to ask that if I could be their guest at Dumpukht that evening, but no alcohol please! I accepted, and was quite pleased that at least they keep customer service and satisfaction on top of their priority, even if they send out people who are no given any authority to amend the mistakes then and their rather than calling different managers on phone for a simple thing like that.
Evening was good from then on, great food and service at Dumpukht as usual.
There was a hiccup when my applicant arrived for interview and I was told that no guests allowed in room after 8 pm!! I managed in their near empty lounge, but what if someone was meeting their lover or fiancé etc.? Be aware if you are going with that in mind! However, no problem for me.
Good night’s sleep and lovely breakfast buffet in morning in their main restaurant.
I will come again I thought as I went to reception to check out. And it all started again!
In my bill was added the bill from last night from Dumpukht. Not much, only about 3000 Rupees as I did not eat much nor drink after the snacks and cocktails in lounge. But still, I was furious. I explained to the clerk there and it took three people and four phone calls to different managers for them to accept that I was not lying. Profuse apologies again, embarrassed staff.
Fine, where is my taxi, I just wanted to go now. Do you want to book a taxi to airport sir, I was asked. Yes, please, I thought it was arranged last night! No, but we can do it now, it will cost 1500 rupees-or something like that, she said. I was in shock now. I do not care about that amount of money but I WAS PROMISED ONE LAST NIGHT, and I have let my own car go. I started to lose my patience now. I left the reception, and started calling my cousin on phone who is some big shot in hotel industry to ask him to find me a decent manager now to formally complain. By this time they perhaps realized that I was a little bit unhappy! And a relatively senior manager came, sat me down and listened to whole saga that I had to tell, again, the nth time. He went, checked on computers, made a phone call and offered me a taxi-no fee-to airport. With his apologies, he said he will e-mail me later with an explanation, and offered me that next time he will personally upgrade my room to ITC ONE class, no matter even if I booked the most basic room and he will treat me as a guest in hotel with my dinner from them again. What else can I do, he asked? Nothing, my taxi please and bye! I said.
And so I left. With a very bitter taste in my mouth. I would have rather paid for my meal-that I planned anyway-kept my own car a bit longer and had a peaceful stay even when they messed my booking; instead of going through an army of receptionists and junior managers.
And that I think is the problem. Too many Indians and no chiefs. They need less people but with more authority. If a manager can not do any thing, do not send them out looking for mistakes to correct.
And I could see this through my stay. Too many people trying to please but having no authority to actually do anything. I am fond of mangoes and they were in full season then. At breakfast, there was a display of fruits, some very exotic and probably very expensive, but no mangoes. (Why, by the way? Mangoes were in season, dirt cheap and very flavoursome with markets full of different varieties. Why not here? Show it off to foreigners!) So when a waiter came and asked me if I wanted anything else, I asked if they had mangoes. I could see that he knew they had, he wanted to give me, but he asked another waiter, who asked another, who asked a suited one, who nodded and in minutes I had some on my table. If you have to do this, do this inside so I do not have to watch it.
While on mangoes, when I booked online, there was a box there asking for any special preference. I asked for mangoes on my fruit platter that was being promised to me. But were their mangoes on it-NO.
So, in short, they need to sort the communication between the staff on floor and on-line people; but also between themselves on the floor.
They need to reduce people, they have too many. But they need more effective people with some authority who can take decisions then and there. In UK, USA, Dubai, Caribbean, many countries in Europe-loads of places- I have seen whole buffets for hundreds managed by four to six on-floor staff and all runs like clockwork. Here too many people add to crowd and confusion.
All in all, a very good hotel with great food. But would I go again to stay? I am not sure.
Lastly, what did their promised email say as explanation for this drama and the promised offer?
I do not know as I have yet not received it even after many months!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thankyou for sharing your important, detailed review on your experience at ITC Maurya. We are most concerned to know that your stay with us was not reflective of our usual standards of service.

We have read your comments with utmost concern, and while we profer our sincere apologies for the reported inconvenience, may we request you to consider this as an aberration to the quality of service that we endeavor to provide at our hotel.

We have noted your valuable insights and are addressing the same, so we can improve the experience that we offer at our hotel.

We do hope you choose to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Maurya is one of the better known hotels in Delhi and one of the most expensive, so no one should expect anything less than perfect service and good rooms. The hotel fulfills the expectations, and deserves a solid 5. It is however mainly a business hotel. The service is professional but impersonal, once inside you could be in any major asian city.

The food in Bukhara, most famous of the hotels restaurants, is supposed to be the best in Delhi. It was indeed very good, but at 10 times the price of great meals we had elsewhere in India with similar menu. Nonetheless, go for it once and enjoy the great cocktails and atmosphere.

The only minus we suffered was that my girlfriend was basically ignored by several staff members, they talked only to me and even turned their back to her. We reported it to the manager who would deal with it, but even if India is a male-dominant culture this should not happen in the first place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2014

After some initial hick-up with regards to front lobby demanding to see original Passports for each of us ( 2 adults and 2 children) before checking us into our already paid-for rooms in name of Indian Law, we were helped by Mr Davinder /Manager who took care of everything and upgraded our rooms. Davinder and his team really looked after us and provided us with as much information as possible. My nieces joined us on day 2 and I must say that all the 3 rooms were spacious and very comfy, clean and up-to-date as far fixtures, fittings and furniture is concerned... The only drawback being the outdoor pools were not effectively heated and even the covered spa-Kaya Kalap needs a change-over. We enjoyed evening tea & snack in the tower café (on ground floor) during the happy hour and were impressed with quality of snacks and cakes served there.. Kids really loved the buffet breakfast ( probably the widest spread I have seen ) and Mr. Kanwaljit Singh & his team really enriched the breakfast experience. I highly recommend this hotel and will certainly return as and when in India/Delhi

Room Tip: Stay at the lower levels where you can view the fantastic Hotel Lobby from gallery.... you can alway...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
AnilCGMITCMaurya, General Manager at ITC Maurya, New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful feedback on your stay at ITC Maurya. At our hotel, we work towards providing a warm and memorble stay to all our guests, and are happy to know that you enjoyed our accommodation, restaurants and service.

We have also noted your important insights regarding the outdoor pool heating and will look into the same.

We are truly grateful that you would like to recommend ITC Maurya to others, and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to New Delhi.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed at your hotel for my marriage anniversary checked in on 3rd ....first of the guy at the check in Mr. Rishab was great with his work one of the few people you love to remember.After the formalities was escorted with this full of energy and lively lady full of life Ms.Preeti and with her idea of cake and flowers in mu room she made me feel as if it was my wedding day I really loved the way she presented everything.Would love to see them train your new recruits.I was told ITC staff is rude but they both proved it wrong would come again to meet both of them again.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing ITC Maurya for this special ocassion and for sharing your delightful feedback with us.

At our hotel, we constantly work towards provding a warm and memorable experience to our guests, and we are pleased to know that we were successful in our endeavors.

We also thank you for your special compliments for our associates, and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

On my way out of India, I stayed at the ITC Maurya, New Delhi one night, and it was truly exceptional. Beautiful, clean, well appointed room, excellent service, and fantastic food in their restaurants. The lobby is beautiful and I had a nice sit, listening to the piano, staring at the mural on the ceiling. I have some dietary limitations that can be difficult in a restaurant, vegan, with gluten, soy, and dairy sensitivity. However, in the main restaurant, the chef cheerfully cooked me up some truly delicious food that met my requirements.
The only thing that was "off" for me was there I was told that there was a personal butler, but don't believe I ever saw the fellow. This wasn't a problem for me, though I did take note of it.
The hotel is located in the diplomatic area of Delhi where all of the Embassies are located. Nice area. Not too far from the airport too.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Randallk108

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your delightful review for ITC Maurya. We are pleased to hear your appreciation for the accommodation, services and restaurants at our hotel.

We strive to offer a warm and comfortable experience to our guests, and are glad that you found your overall stay to be exceptional. We have also noted your important feedback regarding the Butler service, and while we are looking into the reported issue, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to New Delhi.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This hotel was one of the most luxurious hotels we have stated at on our trip in India. We had a beautiful room and the facilities were top notch. The breakfast buffet was top notch serving dishes from all over India and the hotel restaurant Bukhara was out of this world.

What stood out most though was the exceptional service. Nipun Thukral, the lobby manager, made sure that our stay was enjoyable. He was kind, courteous and caring.

We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your truly wonderful review for ITC Maurya.
At our hotel, we work towards offering a warm and memorable stay to our guests, and we are pleased to know that we were successful in our endeavors.
We have also shared your special compliments with our staff, and they too are delighted to hear the same.

We are grateful that you would like to recommend us to others and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.