“New Delhi at its best and most accessible”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #12 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
London, United Kingdom
“New Delhi at its best and most accessible”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

The Imperial Hotel has the perfect location, generous grounds, wodnerful dining but above all it has history and character. And, as you would expect, the service is exceptional and the value at least comparable if not slightly better than the other high-end hotels in the city. Situated close to Connaught Place and to the main features of Lutyens' New Delhi, it is very convenient and easier to get out of the insulated bubble that too many Western tourists get wrapped up in never seeing the real Delhi. It m,anages to preserve its rather grand history while at the same time being very modern. I would definitely recommend that every Delhi visitor consider the Imperial.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This hotel is an oasis of 'old world' charm within the hectic city of Delhi. I can't think of anything I would change here. The staff are fantastic....very eager to help. The spa is top notch and the food is great. Perfect!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at The Imperial for a total of 10 nights. The hotel was breathtaking and it is truly like staying in a museum. We researched other 5 star hotels in the area but, they are typical concrete high-rises that look like they could be in any other large city. You can feel India's colonial history at the Imperial. The service was better than anything I have ever experienced. Even when there was a problem, it was handled in a manner that always exceeded my expectations. The rooms are stunning as is the whole hotel. I have never seen a historic hotel kept in such perfect condition. The breakfast was unbelievable and they even had a person baking fresh croissants. The location is absolutely perfect. There is a great open air market called Janpath right next to the hotel. It shouldn't be missed. Be prepared for a lot of high pressure selling though. The spa in the hotel is the best I have ever seen. I could go on and on. Bottom line is that when I return to Delhi, I would never consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I arrived in freezing Delhi and was delighed to see a car (arranged through the hotel) waiting for me. Unlike some other car services, the gentleman was holding up my name clearly.

The rooms are beautifully appointed with nice cream colours and I believe they must have been renovated recently. Even the lobby looks fresh and new although the hotel is not new. Well done to Imperial for a great maintenance job. Love the rooms too as it was well appointed, spacious and clean.

Best of all, the service. It was efficient and discreet. The staff anticipated my needs especially for my event and kudos to everyone in the team. I will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 20, 2011

The Imperial is a beautiful time warp - the art deco interiors are fantastic, the pool is superb, the spa is fantastic, the tea is lovely and the restaurants surprisingly delicious. The service is quite lacking in the sense that staff are generally unwelcoming and a bit unrefined. As I was explained later by a dilliwalla friend, most staff are extremely proud of working there, hence the sense of hauteur. We stayed at the Imperial twice in the course of a month, for 6 days in total x 2 rooms. Despite paying top dollar and renting Heritage Suites (worth their $!!), the second time round we were given rooms in a musty and generally unkempt area of the building. We complained, and the rooms were changed immediately.
If you go to Delhi, do yourself a favor and splurge on this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Zazzzu
Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I seem to have been writing a lot of rather negative hotel reviews lately, so it's a relief to write a postive one. Mind you, for the price charged at the Imperial they would want to get it right. Neverthelss, this hotel is immaculate. The history of the place - the things that have happened here and the people who have stayed here - were one of the main attractions for us, and true enough it is like living in a museum with the art work etc.. I don't have time to write a really long review but a few points:

Postiives;
Number one is definitely staff attitude. I had a bad cold and staff were very caring indeed and helped out in every way imaginable. We were there for a week and I truly felt like I was part of a caring family.
Food: generally good, breakfast is excellent and includes a stand of 'take away' foods which is a superb idea, acknowledging that not everyone has time to sit down to a great breakfast every day when they have programs of tours or business. Room service is also good and the in-house bakery has the most delicious veg. quiches ever, which I will have to try to replicate when I get home.
Transport/tours: despite the frighteningly high price, we decided to make our trip to the Taj Mahal really special by hiring the hotel car, complete with picnic basket. Another reason we did this was because I had been so unwell with the flu - normally we travel quite independently but I needed to be cossetted. The trip was worth every cent, exceptional driver, great picnic basket, faultless experience of what can be a very long day (6 am departure and late night return whatever way you do it).

Down Side: Struggling here - some staff (and I mean a MINORITY) have a slightly arrogant attitude - just because you work in one of the best hotels in Asia doesn't mean you can afford to look down on customers.

Bummer that the pool was being renovated when we were there, but it was too cold to swim anyway. Just means I will have to return in warmer weather..

Would I recommend, absolutely. The pain of paying the credit card bill for a week there just occured, but that will recede into our distant memories while the memory of the hotel will last forever.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ozziepore
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Loved the Imperial. We stayed there at the beginning and end of our trip to India. The public areas of the hotel are elegant and extremely comfortable. The rooms are very clean, quiet and large. All the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
The breakfast buffett was delicious. There was an excellent variety of food on offer to suit all, lots of fresh fruit, cereals,nuts, cheeses, cold meats etc, eggs cooked to order, Indian foods and the most delicious fresh pastries from their patisserie. They even had a table of foods for a "breakfast on the go." In the evening we dined in the 1911 restaurant and the service was outstanding. The head chef was most accommodating to any dietary requirements. In fact, he gave my husband some excellent dietary advice.
We used the hotel cars for a couple of days of sightseeing in Delhi. The driver was excellent.
Overall a fabulous hotel!!!
Look forward to returning to The Imperial on our next trip to Indial.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple