“Overpriced and the worst service and attention to detail I've experienced in a 5 star hotel.”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #12 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
London
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I stayed at the Imperial largely because it is well known and it offered a tour of its famous art collection. I was slightly disappointed and enjoyed my stay at the Oberoi Udaivilas in Udaipour much more.

I stayed at the hotel for a week while working for a charity in Delhi. The room I was put in (in the Heritage category) was dark, gloomy and rather depressing. I asked to change and was put in a much nicer room of the same category on a different floor. The room was very comfortable.

The high point of the hotel was the very sweet masseur in the rather basic hairdressing salon who gave me a massage on three of the nights I was there. The "spa/salon" facilities were certainly no where near five star standard but the masseur was very sweet and made a particular effort.

The food was good, particularly the breakfast, although very overpriced for what it was.

My main gripe here is the pricing and the quality of the service. This hotel cost well above comparable five star prices in Europe and the US and yet the service was well below what I have come across everywhere else. On a number of occasions I rang reception with a request and they either never responded or failed to ring back when they said they would. After a couple of days of this it became frustrating. I had booked an art tour through the hotel before arriving in Delhi and yet when I arrived they had no reference of this and didn't even acknowledge that the service existed. When I made a fuss they eventually freed up a member of the reception staff who gave me a quick and fairly uninformed tour of the hotel's art collection. The art and photo collection is fascinating but I would have been better to wander round it on my own, had I realised there was nothing that the receptionist could have told or showed me that I didn't know or could have found myself.

After a week of travelling in Rajasthan I then returned to the hotel for one night and again stayed in a Heritage room. This was smaller than the one I'd had in my previous stay and unfortunately overlooked the hotel gardens. All evening and night there was a conference going on outside with loud music. My husband was unwell and I asked the hotel if it would be possible to move to a quiet room but was told this wouldn't be possible. We spent the night with light flashing through the window of our room from the event outside and loud music blaring. All in all, this was not a five star experience and I won't be recommending the Imperial to my friends and colleagues visiting India.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Sienabene
VPImperial, Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
A word of gratitude for the time you have taken out from your busy schedule to record your feedback about The Imperial New Delhi, on Trip Advisor. We have noted that your experience last November at our hotel particularly the Art Tour was not upto your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. We believe in offering a wonderful experience to all our guests and do not wish to inconvenience them in any manner. Hence, feedback, such as yours, will effectively be used to improve our standards of service and enhance the Imperial experience.
We hope that you will not let this incident influence your perception of the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Imperial.

Vijay Wanchoo
Sr. Vice President and G.M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NY
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We were a family of four visiting friends and family in India. We travel to India every two years and always spend a few days in one or more high class hotels. This had allowed our young children to experience oppulence that India has to offer. Now our children are in their teens and Indian economy is growing but we continue this tradition... This time we booked a suite at the Imperial and what a great decision it was.

The Imperial is one of the best properties in Delhi. Immacualte suite and facilities. Location is superb... right on janpath, just walk to do bargain-shopping nearby and go to cottage emporium for a hassle-free high-end gift shopping.

The staff at the Imperial was outstanding - there was no display of greed or attitude... just hospitality and genuine display to keep us comfortable.

The Imperial offered us a tremendous value for our money... it was not cheap but it was worth it and a much better value than Oberoi and Hyatt/...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Maidenhead, England
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Spent the final three nights of our trip here as a special birthday treat. We were upgraded on arrival to a beautiful spacious room with a vast bathroom. Touched by the delivery of a personalised birthday cake.
We found the service impeccable. Room service was the fastest we've ever experienced and the staff seemed to anticipate your every need.The hotel is very grand, with perfumed, silent corridors and lovely places to sit & people watch.Excellent food.
An oasis in the bustle of the city!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2010

This is a very nice hotel that is quite centrally located. It is low-key and quiet. My room was very nice but-for one thing... it was an interior room and the sole window looked into a lobby. It was quiet, but no incentive at all to let some natural light in! Helpful staff. The buffet breakfast was quite ample and service attentive. Very clean. Large dressing area and marble bath.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I returned to The Imperial for my sixth stay since 2004. Under the direction of Vijay Wanchoo, the Hotel's SVP and General Manager, my experience was very delightful. Upon arrival late on Thursday evening I was welcomed by members of the staff with a warmth and concern for my welfare that was refreshing and valued after a 15 hour flight from New York. I was shown to my Heritage Room( 227) that was spacious, decorated with great taste and with a king bed that was most comfortable in which to sleep. A glass of fresh pineapple juice was presented as my luggage arrived. All of these services were offered with warmth and friendliness.
The next morning I had breakfast in The Hotel's main dining room- a bountiful buffet. Then on a tour of the soon-to-be-finished spa. It exceeds the range of services provided at Ananda in Rishikesh and should exceed the quality of Canyon Ranch in Lenox, Mass.

The Concierge staff and Front Office Groups handled my onward train and plane reservations carefully and completely. I cannot comment highly enough on the friendliness of all of the staff! they are exceptionally talented. Special requests for help in shopping and finding just the right breakfast tray were offered at a level of personal helpfulness and concern that is unique in my travel experiences. A dip in The Hotel's swimming pool refreshed my day after morning shopping. It is sparklingly clean and quite large!

The Imperial can truly be your home away from home with an excellent staff that meets your every need with smiles and knowledge. I will be returning to The Hotel in October with my wife on our way to The Doon School's 75th Anniversary Celebration and highly recommend it to business and leisure travelers.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 23, 2010

The hotel takes you back in time to the days of the Raj. Spice route restaurant where we dined is a restaurant that I would love to visit every time I go to Delhi. Beautiful decor which we were told is hand painted terrific food and and very warm and professional staff. We held a press meet at the hotel which was handled very professionally.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Nairobi
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I travelled to New Delhi with my parents and it was our first visit to The Imperial. We stayed for 10 days, during which time my Mum became very ill, but the staff was excellent. They would ring to check up on her, send flowers, complimentary fruit and went out of their way to make us feel at home. None of our requests were too difficult, it was service with a smile all the way. The Italian, Indian and Thai restaurants within the hotel are all excellent! We have frequented some of the best hotels around the world, including The Peninsula in Bangkok, but nothing compares to the old world charm, quality and service of The Imperial, which was impossible to fault. The Imperial is our new favourite hotel and we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family