“Wonderful!”

Ranked #11 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
estonia
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed March 15, 2007

This is definately one of the best hotels (if not THE best) in Dehli.
Hotel Imperial has a wonderful location on Connaught Place, near bazaars and restaurants, good service and rooms with great decor. Although our plane was late for two hours, hotel driver was waiting us in the airport at 4 o´clock in the morning, as our room rate included airport transfer as well.
We had a fantastic heritage room with beautiful big bathroom and Fragonard amenities. Daily fresh fruits were a nice little extra. As I don´t like indian food so much, we had a dinner in San Gimignano garden restaurant first evening, where the food was excellent and we also enjoyed our breakfasts in beautiful patio. Only the swimming pool area is not that attractive, but then again – it is a city hotel, so swimming pool is not the reason why to go to Imperial. And they had an excellent service there afterall. They also have a wonderful pastry shop near the lobby and an absolutely gorgeous art collection. Imperial calls herself "museum-hotel" and organizes sightseeing tours to the hotel. Everything was clean and nice and I would suggest that hotel to anyone without any hesitation.

• Liked — Ambience and historical atmosphere
  • Disliked — Swimming pool
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2007

This hotel is truly excellent and has taken its rightful place in my top ten hotels in the world.

The staff could not be more helpful and everything about this hotel excudes charm and service. The sandwiches in the bar are a little marginal but that is the only critism I could make. All of the drinks in the bar and peanut / snacks were great. The Spice Route restuarant serves great Thai food and this was not hugely expensive. Good value for money.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jackiemUK
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2007

Initially, we thought this hotel was outstanding...we loved the decor, style and atmosphere...a reall oasis in dirty/bustling Delhi. I would agree with other reviewers that some staff (particularly the restaurant staff) could come across as aloof and snobby. But it was very competent and never rude so I suspect this was either their natural demeanor or the way they've been trained. Unlike some other readers, we loved our meals at the Spice Route...and the decor is something to write home about...the detail was incredible...supposedly took 7 years to build.

While our room looked beautiful at first blush, I noted that they had an electric air freshener in the room on the first night. Everything smelled OK. On the second night the air freshener was gone and room started to smell a bit like the bathroom...there's an open drain in the bathroom that I suspect was connected to all the waste water piping and my guess is this didn't drain properly so toilet water was staying in the pipe and producing a smell through the open drain. It wasn't too bad when we went to bed and we were leaving the next morning so we didn't complain...but by the time we woke up, it was quite pungent. So it seems they have some plumbing problems...something to think about.

Lastly, if you eat on the patio, keep your eyes peeled for hawks...I couldn't believe it but one of this relatively large birds that circles the sky over the city dive bombed a table (4 business men) and snatched some food right of someone's plate. Quite exciting to watch and I'm sure a huge shock for the people at the table...

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank satkin02
Saratoga Springs NY
Reviewed March 2, 2007

If you've had enough modern high rise 5 star hotels like The Claridges and want a feeling of history without getting a hotel that shows the ravages of time, this is the hotel.

Beautifully decorated, spacious, great art work, impeccable service without getting in your way. Go for a Heritage Room if you want space, comfort and a homey colonial feeling. Don't miss the Spice Route restaurant and ask for a tour of the restaurant if they aren't too busy. Breakfasts were superb.

We wrote a glowing report in their customer evaluation form, but got a letter from the manager on our return apologizing for any discomfort or inconvenience we may have encountered. Something got lost in translation, I suppose.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank 22man
Rural England
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Booked direct, changing dates and rooms etc, but all no problem. We loved the bustling bars and meals in the indian and fusion restaurants were jolly good. The staff were charming and the location for shopping excellent. Breakfast outside was a lovely start to the day and the best breakfast we had in India Our deco- suite was sumptuous. We took the hotel car and found the drivers helpful.

• Liked — The great atmosphere, service and food.
  • Disliked — Slight odour of drains
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank shireslady
long island, ny
Reviewed February 13, 2007

The Imperial (Dehli)-This hotel was gorgeous. We spent two nights here. The breakfast was delicious and the room was spectacular. I absolutely love marble and this hotel has so much. The British Colonial decor is really wonderful.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank am470
New York, NY
Reviewed January 22, 2007

Of all the high-end hotels I stayed in New Delhi, I felt this was the most beautiful. It had history and maintained its old-world glamour. The restaurant, Brasserie 1911 was first class, the service extremely attentive and the Chef, who came out to check on the meal and discuss his background was wonderful. However, at breakfast, the staff was less than friendly, and seemed annoyed to have to work. It's not like it wasn't their job, there were no glasses or plates set up at the front to help yourself either. We had to ask for tea at least three times from three separate people. When I returned, they had packed up all of my luggage, (I had specifically left clothing out to change into when I returned) and taken it away, with no notice whatsoever so I thought I had been robbed. (I had not NOT requested that anyone take my luggage at all, but they knew I would be checking out that day). Compared to the Taj Mahal and the Taj Palace, the service here was the weakest, but overall, it wasn't bad.

Stayed January 2007