“Beautiful!”

Ranked #12 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
long island, ny
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed February 13, 2007

The Imperial (Dehli)-This hotel was gorgeous. We spent two nights here. The breakfast was delicious and the room was spectacular. I absolutely love marble and this hotel has so much. The British Colonial decor is really wonderful.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank am470

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed January 22, 2007

Of all the high-end hotels I stayed in New Delhi, I felt this was the most beautiful. It had history and maintained its old-world glamour. The restaurant, Brasserie 1911 was first class, the service extremely attentive and the Chef, who came out to check on the meal and discuss his background was wonderful. However, at breakfast, the staff was less than friendly, and seemed annoyed to have to work. It's not like it wasn't their job, there were no glasses or plates set up at the front to help yourself either. We had to ask for tea at least three times from three separate people. When I returned, they had packed up all of my luggage, (I had specifically left clothing out to change into when I returned) and taken it away, with no notice whatsoever so I thought I had been robbed. (I had not NOT requested that anyone take my luggage at all, but they knew I would be checking out that day). Compared to the Taj Mahal and the Taj Palace, the service here was the weakest, but overall, it wasn't bad.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank MsFabulous
Kuwait
Reviewed January 8, 2007

The hotel is REALLY LOVELY. I am a seasoned traveler who really enjoys the finer things in life. I found The Imperial very nearly immpecable. The entrance is attractive with creative fresh flower arrangements (hats off to the florist) and the halls of the hotel boast many beautiful prints and paintings.

The heritage room in which I stayed was tastefully furnished with colonial style period furniture (2 single beds). Bed linens were comfortable and attractive. The bathroom was marble with a tub, but no separate shower. Overall the room was very pleasant and light, but sadly the windows in my ground floor room did not open so I did not get much fresh air. Also the tub clogged. I made a few complaints, but the problem didn't get resolved.

The buffet breakfast was great, lots of selections of hot and cold foods, as well as an omlette station. The Thai/Indian restaurant was fantastic, though quite expensive even by hotel standards. Room service was great-always on time and always delicious.

One major drawback was the horrible massage facility. It was noisy and seemed dirty-if you must have a massage go for the inroom massage option. The concierge is not well informed about happening restaurants or night clubs so do your own research. Also remember than in Delhi everyone gets a kickback for everything!!!

The hotel is well situtated near shopping and restaurants. We tried a really nice lounge/restaurant called QBA in Coughnut (spelling?) area. Also dont forget when shopping-Bargain!!!! Overall the whole hotel experience was great. I am definately going back.

• Liked — Impeccable Service with a smile
  • Disliked — The clogged shower and massage room.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank Riyah
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 6, 2007

We spent 3 days at the Imperial in December 2006. All the advance press about it touts it as "the best hotel in Delhi"...Sure it looks great. But below the surface it's just mediocre. The staff while seemingly willing and friendly never manages to deliver on any request. Most of the rooms have windows on interior courtyards which means they're really quiet. If you get an outside view room be prepared for lots of noise. Including the bang bang of the staff fixing chairs while you're trying to recover from jeg lag. The Spice Route is claimed by Conde Nast Traveller to be one of the 10 best restaurants --- but clearly their reviewer has not been eating in any even middle of the road fusion restaurants in New York, London or Los Angeles. A good restaurant in any of these places wins hands down in a competition with the Spice Route. Where by the way the staff attitude is decidely unfriendly. Now let's talk about prices. Every meal was over priced but the most riduculous offense of all was that the Imperial charges as much for a bottle of domestic Indian white wine (Sula) as they do for an import from France or California: between US$60-70 for something you can buy on the street for US$8.00. Bottom line: over priced, over rated, under delivers. They clearly have contempt for their well travelled target market who all have enough experience to know this hotel is a sleekly packaged rip off.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank anadamansea
california
Reviewed January 6, 2007

It is highly recommended due to its reputation, and I'm actually fine with their practice of keeping those pesky tuk-tuk drivers off the premises. The facilities look opulent inside and the air smelled of lemon or giner in the halls, which is very refreshing after coming in from the pollution outside. The restaurants can get costly. I didn't think the Spice Market restaurant was anything to rave about. Decent, pricey and it was really dark in there! The pool was nothing special. The gym is small, but I enjoy small hotel gyms. The building is old of course, and the windows are pretty thin because one can hear all kinds of outside noises from the room. Bathing was quite an experience: I got dirtier than if I hadn't bathed because as I filled the tub, the water was yellow! To top it off, we were ripped off with the taxes at check-out (should have been based on the discounted rate that we reserved the room for and not based on full price!) Management didn't care to apologize or rectify this even after we lodged a formal complaint. Also, I think that having people constantly open the entrance doors seems a bit pesky and impractical. Why not install automatic doors?

Stayed May 2005
2 Thank fleecesleeper
London
Reviewed December 27, 2006

We have stayed at all the top hotels in India including Udaivilas, Rajvilas and Amarvilas and found that The Imperial more than holds it own. The hotel is full of authentic old photographs and furnishings but has been thoroughly renovated to a very high standard. We particularly recommend the heritage rooms if you staying with a child as the room is beautiful and very large to accomodate the third bed. In fact, we declined a heritage suite because the room was so good. The food is fantastic in Daniell's Tavern and we really enjoyed the life music. The food was among the best we've had in India and no health problems. The hotel is also surprisingly quiet and tranquil given that it is bang in the centre of New Delhi. Frankly, the only place to stay in New Delhi. I note another reviewer complained about the pricing but we never felt ripped off. The hotel is expensive but delivers. And if the security guards are hesitant about letting in autorickshaw at least it shows that are making a safe environment for guests.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank AnonymousLondon
Singapore
Reviewed December 20, 2006

I had high expectations on booking this hotel based on past reviews and previous travellers to Delhi who saw the hotel from the outside.
The trouble started even before we got there. Their pickup charge from Nizamuddin train station was INR 4000?!? So we took a normal taxi from the train station instead (cost: INR200 and we overpaid).
When we got to the driveway, we were prevented from stopping in front of the lobby. Instead our taxi was directed away from the sheltered porch like some kind of pariah. Despite a 2 year old son in my arms, I had to call attention to my luggage.
This was to happen 2 other times when we took an auto-rickshaw back to the premises of this rarefied "high-class" hotel even though by then it was obvious that we were guests
. When I brought up this issue to the hotel manager, he was unapologetic and said things about how there are many beggars and such in India, and that auto-rickshaws (which run on LPG by the way) were a source of pollution.
I think he really meant that "proper" guests at his wonderful hotel should not use Tuk-Tuks. Our interaction with the staff was characterised by this "better-than-thou" attitude. And this to paying guests mind you. They obviously treated caucasian guests better (I'm Singaporean) so if you like that kind of thing, you will be right at home.
Even though we stayed in a suite, we had no view, and the bathroom was lousy (shower spurted at all the wrong places, bathtub stopper did not work).

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — staff
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid