The Imperial Hotel
$114
$92
$137
3,210 results
All reviewsspice routeheritage roomdaniell's tavernwelcome homebeautiful hotelcolonial stylean oasismarble floorsconnaught placeluxury hotelbreakfast buffetindian restaurantspadelhirajatriumemporium
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 6, 2007

We spent 3 days at the Imperial in December 2006. All the advance press about it touts it as "the best hotel in Delhi"...Sure it looks great. But below the surface it's just mediocre. The staff while seemingly willing and friendly never manages to deliver on any request. Most of the rooms have windows on interior courtyards which means they're really quiet. If you get an outside view room be prepared for lots of noise. Including the bang bang of the staff fixing chairs while you're trying to recover from jeg lag. The Spice Route is claimed by Conde Nast Traveller to be one of the 10 best restaurants --- but clearly their reviewer has not been eating in any even middle of the road fusion restaurants in New York, London or Los Angeles. A good restaurant in any of these places wins hands down in a competition with the Spice Route. Where by the way the staff attitude is decidely unfriendly. Now let's talk about prices. Every meal was over priced but the most riduculous offense of all was that the Imperial charges as much for a bottle of domestic Indian white wine (Sula) as they do for an import from France or California: between US$60-70 for something you can buy on the street for US$8.00. Bottom line: over priced, over rated, under delivers. They clearly have contempt for their well travelled target market who all have enough experience to know this hotel is a sleekly packaged rip off.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank anadamansea
Reviewed January 6, 2007

It is highly recommended due to its reputation, and I'm actually fine with their practice of keeping those pesky tuk-tuk drivers off the premises. The facilities look opulent inside and the air smelled of lemon or giner in the halls, which is very refreshing after coming in from the pollution outside. The restaurants can get costly. I didn't think the Spice Market restaurant was anything to rave about. Decent, pricey and it was really dark in there! The pool was nothing special. The gym is small, but I enjoy small hotel gyms. The building is old of course, and the windows are pretty thin because one can hear all kinds of outside noises from the room. Bathing was quite an experience: I got dirtier than if I hadn't bathed because as I filled the tub, the water was yellow! To top it off, we were ripped off with the taxes at check-out (should have been based on the discounted rate that we reserved the room for and not based on full price!) Management didn't care to apologize or rectify this even after we lodged a formal complaint. Also, I think that having people constantly open the entrance doors seems a bit pesky and impractical. Why not install automatic doors?

Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank fleecesleeper
Reviewed December 27, 2006

We have stayed at all the top hotels in India including Udaivilas, Rajvilas and Amarvilas and found that The Imperial more than holds it own. The hotel is full of authentic old photographs and furnishings but has been thoroughly renovated to a very high standard. We particularly recommend the heritage rooms if you staying with a child as the room is beautiful and very large to accomodate the third bed. In fact, we declined a heritage suite because the room was so good. The food is fantastic in Daniell's Tavern and we really enjoyed the life music. The food was among the best we've had in India and no health problems. The hotel is also surprisingly quiet and tranquil given that it is bang in the centre of New Delhi. Frankly, the only place to stay in New Delhi. I note another reviewer complained about the pricing but we never felt ripped off. The hotel is expensive but delivers. And if the security guards are hesitant about letting in autorickshaw at least it shows that are making a safe environment for guests.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank AnonymousLondon
Reviewed December 20, 2006

I had high expectations on booking this hotel based on past reviews and previous travellers to Delhi who saw the hotel from the outside.
The trouble started even before we got there. Their pickup charge from Nizamuddin train station was INR 4000?!? So we took a normal taxi from the train station instead (cost: INR200 and we overpaid).
When we got to the driveway, we were prevented from stopping in front of the lobby. Instead our taxi was directed away from the sheltered porch like some kind of pariah. Despite a 2 year old son in my arms, I had to call attention to my luggage.
This was to happen 2 other times when we took an auto-rickshaw back to the premises of this rarefied "high-class" hotel even though by then it was obvious that we were guests
. When I brought up this issue to the hotel manager, he was unapologetic and said things about how there are many beggars and such in India, and that auto-rickshaws (which run on LPG by the way) were a source of pollution.
I think he really meant that "proper" guests at his wonderful hotel should not use Tuk-Tuks. Our interaction with the staff was characterised by this "better-than-thou" attitude. And this to paying guests mind you. They obviously treated caucasian guests better (I'm Singaporean) so if you like that kind of thing, you will be right at home.
Even though we stayed in a suite, we had no view, and the bathroom was lousy (shower spurted at all the wrong places, bathtub stopper did not work).

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
11  Thank bonbuben
Reviewed December 5, 2006

An absolutely beautiful hotel - the 'museum hotel' in all its grandeur. The service is top rate; the restaurants are out of this world. I have stayed in five star hotels all over the world and would rate this at the top of my list for best overall. If I had to quibble with anything it would be the hard mattress but that is a minor complaint in an otherwise superb hotel experience.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)