“Running low in supplies...”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #12 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Running low in supplies...”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Lets start with good thing, Location. Its few blocks from Connaught Place, that makes it very convenient for shopping. Other than that, there are better hotels in delhi for the price you pay.

Rooms: Average, and nothing special for a 5 star hotel. Carpets are dirty, Air conditioner cannot cool the room below 69F (around 21C). Not enough electrical outlets available to charge your basic devices (phone, ipad, and tablet), and none near your bed.

Bathroom: Less than average, shower is worse than my apartment shower, its very basic shower head with no adjustments to water pressure. Bathroom scale out of batteries or dont work, water leaks on the floor after taking a shower.

Service: Start hotel doesn't even have enough Iron boards, I was told that they have them in ciruculation, and dont have any, and the one I got was uneven,dirty with wires cracked ...

Food: No complaints, Breakfast and the resturants are good.

Will I stay here again: No.

1 Thank mrrame
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us on your recent visit to New Delhi. I regret to note the inconvenience faced by you during your stay. We have recently upgraded most of our rooms to meet the needs of our guests and shall soon carry on a renovation plan for the remaining rooms. We, at The Imperial always strive to ensure our patrons experience the best visit possible during their travel and I am deeply troubled that this stay experience has caused so much distress to you. I am grateful to you for bringing it to our notice and hence we were able to rectify the issue while you were staying with us. I do hope that you liked your new room and had a pleasant stay experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Crisp white sheets and cloud like bed, polite and attentive service, great shower, fabulous buffet breakfast all contributed to a great stay here.

I booked through the Grand Luxury Hotels Website which was well priced, and included guaranteed upgrade. How fab! We were given a suite which meant a large lounge room adjoining the bedroom. In reality, we didn't really use it because we were not entertaining anyone. but it was spacious. This suite has no external windows - only windows looking into the atrium - so that might have been a bit annoying if we had paid big dollars for it.

The service here is great. Several times we had outstanding assistance from staff - help with getting the internet connected, help retrieving a missing bag, an escort to the short cut to Jantar Mantar out the back door. Without exception, staff were all friendly and helpful.

The Imperial has several restaurants within it. We ate at San Giminiano one night and really enjoyed our pasta. The next night we chose The Spice Route which the staff told us was in the top ten in the world...well I don't know who decides these things but they must have got very special treatment because when we went it was very very ordinary and cost an absolute bomb. The interior is beautiful though.

The breakfast buffet is world class. Fabulous juices made to order, great selection of fresh fruit, cheeses, meats, pastries, and omlette bar with perfectly cooked omlettes - they know not to stir the eggs too much! Plus, chai served in a silver pot, and Yakult on the buffet to keep the Delhi belly at bay. Excellent.

We had two nights here at the end of a three week trip. It was lovely to have such luxury after our other mixed star rated hotels. it is completely stress free staying here, and completely removed from the outside world, so it makes Indian travel easier compared to the challenges of cheaper travel. But you pay for it. The room cost was totally fair, but I think the extras here are ridiculously expensive. The airport car, should you choose it over the 700 rupee clean and comfortable Ambassador taxi, is 4 times this cost. The small beers in the mini bar are 550 rupees plus three different taxes - i.e. around $15 for a small beer. You can buy a large can (double the amount) for 60 rupees at the grog shop. I found this annoying and I felt exploited by this. There is not really any excuse for such excessive mark up - higher than any hotel in Europe or Australia. I felt the same about the restaurant prices. Really ridiculously expensive. There is no where in this hotel where you can get a quick bite for a reasonable cost. Our quick pasta meal of 2 small size pasta, one glass of wine and one soda, cost close to $100. Come on guys - you could have a groovy, vibey restaurant here which people would love to drop in to for a drink and a light meal, instead of the starchy places on offer with the high price tags. Mix it up a bit!

All in all though, loved the Imperial and would stay again for the respite from the chaos, and the incredible breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank louloubelle
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of The Imperial. We are grateful for your appreciation of the rooms & service, breakfast buffet and other facilities. Your feedback has been shared with the team and serves as a great motivation for them.
With regards to your concern with the pricing, I would like to assure you that our prices are at par with all hotels of similar stature. It’s our constant endeavor to provide our guests with complete value for their money, however, we shall review the same again.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I spent a week in The Imperial Hotel in New Delhi. The Hotel is located in a pleasant and greener area with a lovely garden. Regal Palms are lined to the drive way of a three story white building. Marble-floored hotel with painting of Indian architecture on the wall with bright lights looks so divine. The rooms are excellent and well equipped with high quality bed. The rooms are also very clean. Service is perfect from doorman to pool attendants. The pool is large and shaded by large trees. Breakfast is tremendous and the hotel has excellent Wi-Fi connectivity. Overall, a treat and pleasant to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of The Imperial. We are grateful for your appreciation of our building & décor, rooms & our service, breakfast buffet, Wi-Fi and other facilities. Your feedback has been shared with the team and serves as a great motivation for them.

Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Apart from the whole 'piece of colonial India' in Delhi feel - its our of my favorite places to stay in Delhi. Go for the Art-Deco suite if available -otherwise the Heritage suites. Probably one the best value for money 5 star hotels in Delhi.

Positives:1. Three words: The Patiala Peg.
2.The quality of interiors and rooms on the whole
3. The check in / check out - never faced any glitch
4. One of the best Brasserie in India.

Negatives:1. I've stayed here on more than 20 occasions - everytime i check in and come to the room - there is something missing from the amenities.
2.They definitely need a better concierge to advice on 'what to do where' in the city.
3. Breakfast - its been downhill since 2011.

After my last visit - i feel they need to work a little more to keep that fifth star ....

Room Tip: Go for the Art Deco Suites, or the Grand Heritage rooms..
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of The Imperial. We are grateful for your appreciation of the Patiala peg, the décor, our services and the Brasserie. However, I have noted your dissatisfaction with your stay and I deeply regret the same. It is disheartening to read your feedback especially when we have been receiving many appreciation notes for our concierge and the breakfast buffet. We at the Imperial always strive to ensure that our guests experience the best stay possible and though we fell short of our goal this time, I would like to make corrections. May I request you to contact me on vwanchoo@theimperialindia.com and share your concerns with me and I shall personally address them.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our company always books The Leela for our business trips, but this time we decided to split our stay and give Imperial a try. So far I'm extremely dissapointed, not the luxury gem I expected it to be! the room is far away from a luxury hotel, is old, very small, crammed with furniture, is cold and termostat is locked. The lighting in the room is stark, you have either no lighting or way too much light. The bathroom is equally terrible and the window on the shower wall makes me uncomfortable. I can hear noise from construction work, and everything that happens on the hallways. To get to my room I had to take a really small elevator, could barely fit in it. I can't wait for this stay to be over! Very very dissapointed.

Room Tip: No good advice, unfurtonately
7 Thank BDG1979
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. Vice President & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014

Greetings!

I have been saddened to note your feedback and would like to extend my deepest apologies for the inconvenience. We are in continuous process of upgrading our rooms & most of our rooms have been renovated last year. Though our rooms are usually larger than standard rooms worldwide, I do regret that you were disappointed with the same. I seek another opportunity to provide you a stay as per your liking.

We, at The Imperial always strive to ensure our patrons experience the best visit possible during their travel and we fell short of our goal this time. We are deeply troubled that this stay experience has caused so much distress to you, our valued guest. Please be assured that we are addressing all your concerns and would like to ensure a comfortable stay for all our patrons.
I hope that you will provide us another opportunity to change your perception of The Imperial and experience a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nice, France
Reviewed February 9, 2014

It's not possible to connect more than 3 terminals on your WIFI access.

I have for professional reasons 2 laptos, a tablet and a smartphone. I cannot connect all on my room access. It's a stupid limitations.

Regards

André

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to New Delhi. I have noted your feedback regarding the internet and deeply regret the inconvenience. Please be assured that it is a restriction imposed by the service provider and usually connectivity on 3 devices is enough for most guests. However, considering your special case I do understand your disappointment and shall take it up with the service provider. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Our stay at the Imperial Hotel was almost excellent. My only real issue with this hotel was the heavy incense used in the lobby (or nearby). Fortunately, our room was far enough from the source that we were not bothered by the incense, except when passing through or close to the front entrance. Our room was nicely appointed, quite comfortable and quiet. After the long flight in to New Delhi, the bed was amazing. The staff was very attentive and efficient and the bell man was most helpful when we asked about hiring a cab for the entire day. He made sure we had a quality driver that we could understand, and he let us know how much we should pay the driver for the fare, and how much to tip the driver, once we returned to the hotel. The location was great for sightseeing. We could easily get to all the places we wanted to see, and shop, by a quick cab ride.

Room Tip: If the incense in the lobby bothers you, ask for a room on the far side of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of The Imperial. We are grateful for your appreciation. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the jasmine fragrance which is the fragrance of our property and most of our patrons otherwise find it very relaxing. I am glad to have learnt that our team was able to assist you beyond expectations and ensured that your stay was smooth.