“Imperial and I go back over 50 years!”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #13 of 736 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Imperial.....heritage, beautiful, imposing, gracious, elegant and fascinating...just some of the descriptions for this excellent luxury heritage hotel set in the heart of New Delhi. I have known it since I was a girl of 12....so that is over 50 years ago and now it is poised and developed and totally beautifully modern in all the best ways. We stayed there in February this year and had a short but busy stay. The food is excellent in all the restaurants, the Spa is out of this world and so cleverly built underground yet light and all the beautiful palm trees were reinstated....you would never known that it was a major new build, and the Business Centre must be the best in the whole of India. Whether you stay or just visit for a meal The Imperial is a must for every traveller to Delhi with good service and welcome....I am never happier when greeted there with the familiar greeting Namaste and Welcome Home and the fragrant aroma of jasmine in the cool foyer. Your photo shown above of The Imperial pool is about 12 years out of date....please note my own which shows this facility to its advantage...heated in the Delhi winter is a very big plus!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and gracious but I like a dedicated shower cubicle and request that. There a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoseofScotland
Write a ReviewReviews (3,068)

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a wonderful two night stay at The Imperial. The staff were very courteous, helpful and kind. The restaurant was very special and the 1911 bar was great fun. Beautiful paintings and decor throughout the hotel, it is simple but very elegant. Every staff member was amazing from check in to concierge to in-room, breakfast was something else, loved it all.
Abhinav, Sunil and Pinki also looked after us so well on our return to Delhi - only sorry we could not stay longer!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

When I first arrived at the Imperial Hotel in June, I was greeted with "welcome home!" After 6 weeks at this beautiful hotel, it definitely felt like home and I was sad to leave.

Staff:
The hospitality at the Imperial is unparalleled and the staff are unbelievably friendly. Everyone is exceptionally helpful, unpretentious and professional. Any request I had was dealt with promptly and the service I received in all areas was outstanding. From the security staff at the front entrance to management, all I encountered was genuinely nice people who all made me feel so welcome.

Food:
There is no shortage of fantastic food at the Imperial. There are five restaurants in total and while the food can be pricey, which is typical in a 5 star hotel, all are outstanding. Spice Route and Daniels are both well known and delicious but what really surprised me was San Gimignano, the Italian restaurant. I didn't expect to eat exceptional Italian food in India and I certainly didn't expect to have gluten free pasta options or be provided gluten free bread with my olive oil but San Gimignano delivered on both. The staff in all restaurants were very accommodating and knowledgable about gluten free food and I never had any issues. Even the breakfast buffet comes with gluten free pastries and muffins! I often dined alone in the restaurants and was always made to feel welcome. I enjoyed some great conversations with the staff on those occasions!

Room:
I had 2 different rooms during my stay (I moved once due to noisy upstairs neighbours). The first room was in the older wing at the front of the hotel and the second was in the more recently updated rear. Both rooms were spacious and exceptionally comfortable. The beds are great and pillow options are available. Housekeeping is meticulous, ample bottles of water are provided and the bathrooms are spacious. I opted for a separate shower and bathtub which is ideal for long term visits. The water pressure in the shower is really good. I had checked out for 4 nights to do some travelling and when I returned, I was provided with the exact same room stocked with all of the things I had previously requested such as an iron & ironing board, a high powered hair dryer, etc. The staff took note of my requests and preferences and ensured that everything was in place for my return. I was really impressed with the level of thoughtfulness the staff undertook to ensure that everything was to my liking. It was definitely above and beyond!

Spa/ salon:
A trip to the Imperial without a visit to the spa & salon would be incomplete. The price of the service was what I would expect at home and initially struck me as high for India but the quality of the services are so fantastic that it is worth every penny.
The Imperial manicure and pedicure is outstanding. My first pedicure lasted at least a month. I only went back because I wanted another before heading home. I also had two massages and the sensitive skin facial which were great and highly recommended. The spa facilities are beautiful and a steam room, sauna and jacuzzi are available. A visit to the spa is a great way to spend a rainy day.

Gym:
The gym is small but well stocked with equipment and the trainers are outstanding. I took a 1 hr personal training session with Sweety since I am pretty clueless when it comes to exercise. It is definitely worth it. The stretches were amazing!

Pool:
The pool is the most beautiful of any hotel/ resort I have visited. It is huge, clean, surrounded by palm trees and well stocked with lounge chairs and umbrellas. Food and drink service is friendly and efficient. The only downside to the pool is that drinks are pricey.

Overall, the Imperial is a truly special hotel. After visiting some of the other hotels in Delhi, I was struck by how elegant, cosy and charming it is. Staying at this historical hotel, staffed by incredible people, made 6 weeks away from home fly by. I would not stay anywhere else in Delhi!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your wonderful experience at The Imperial.
I'm glad that we succeeded in creating a memorable stay experience for you and feel extremely elated by your kind acknowledgement of the same. Your positive comments are a great motivation for the team.
We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Best regards,

Vijay Wanchoo
Sr. Exec. VP & General Manager

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the place to stay in Delhi if you have even the slightest interest in colonial India, Lutyens and Baker's work, in particular. The hotel is chic and the service is world class, but at the same time it has a lovely patina and fits into Delhi much better than all the glitzy new hotels. The spa is perfect, as is the gym and pool. Breakfast is superb, try the Indian breakfast. Even the book and gift shops are a cut above the rest. The hotel is very centrally situated for travellers, near Khan Market. (I have stayed at a range of Delhi hotels, from the lovely Trident Gurgaon, to the Oberoi Delhi, to the new Leela.)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Hooggenoeg
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have travelled a lot over the years and stayed at many different hotels. This is the best so far. I can not think of a single nagetive thing to say about this hotel. The rooms are really, really good, the pool amazing, the garden is fantastic for being at Janpath drive, it's always clean, and the flower arrangements are out of this world.
On top of that the hotel host one of the best restaurants in the world: The Spice Route.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool area. They are really nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Lasse_Andreassen
Reviewed July 24, 2013

It was one of that 6 stars hotel. Everything was good: services, amazing room with amazing bathroom, restaurants (all good), SPA, decoration with orquides and a Chanel boutique! One of the best hotels that I every stayed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Maria A
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The food was amazing, the setting sublime, the ambience charming. And, in fact, everything was going quite well. Until...

Sooner or later, depending on how long it takes to get a table in a Restaurants , you'll end up having a bad time at what is supposed to be a good restaurant.

When that happens, you might be startled by how upset you become. It probably won't be the food that's to blame. You can always shrug off a bad food, since the chef didn't mean to disappoint you. But everyone takes poor service personally. Get a bad table and you'll wonder if the hostess finds you unworthy. Find yourself with a disrespectful server and you'll feel worse, because you're expected to tip.

I will like to tell you the Name of the server.Who was looking after my table.
Mr Ajay
Mr Shahid

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jon h
VWanchoo, Sr. Exec. VP & GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback about your dinner experience at The Daniell’s Tavern, our Indian cuisine restaurant. Though you seem to be appreciative of the food, I have noted your disappointment with the service you received.
The Imperial takes pride in its associates and its much appreciated service standards. However, if you have experienced bad service and felt neglected at any point I would like to render my deepest apologies to you and would request you to not let this isolated incident influence your perception of The Imperial & any of its outlets. May I request you to share your details & the date of dining with us at vwanchoo@theimperialindia.com so that we may further investigate the same.
We do look forward to another chance of serving you & showcase our hospitality.
Best regards,