“Memories of colonial India”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #13 of 736 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Warm welcome on arrival, and given a room upgrade. Wonderful room, however it was situated next door to the venue for a wedding. The noise from the wedding guests and the caterers who were working just outside our window was ubacceptable and on complaining we were moved to a suite for the rest of our stay. Despite this my wife and I cannot recommend this hotel more highly. The food in all of the restaurants was excellent as was the service. A visit to the Patiala Peg for an aperitif is a must. Situated in central Delhi, another plus.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms prone to be noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Whizepsom
Write a ReviewReviews (3,067)

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had been wanting to stay at this hotel since 2004 and perhaps my high expectations had got the better of me. We stayed here for 4 nights. The room was very clean and beautifully decorated in a colonial style. There was a very comfortable huge bed. After taking in the wonderful decor of the room the noise from the outside metro work caught my attention but the lady that showed us the room guaranteed it would stop in the evening and not cause us any problem during the night. Unfortunately that guarantee didn't hold any weight. In the very early hours of the morning We were woken by the sound of heavy machinery and a very noisy digger. We did complain the next morning and asked to move room which was finally done with minimal inconvenience. Breakfast is fantastic and you can pretty much have whatever you can think of. From the breakfast room you can sit outside and have a lovely view of the garden but it had been blocked off with a marquee due to a function. I find this very frustrating but it seems to happen in a lot of Indian hotels. We have eaten lunch and dinner here and tried every restaurant. The afternoon tea is brilliant and they replenish anything you want. Pool food is very good, they do a great lamb burger. The Italian has a lovely intimate setting however the slow cooked duck I ordered was very tough. The Indian restaurant appeared badly run and the service was very ad hock. I had ordered a second glass of wine and after chasing the order twice it finally came after we had finished our meal. The waiters seemed to be rushing around and it felt very un-relaxing. The food was very tasty though. Apparently it has been voted one of the top restaurants in the world by Conde Neste Traveller, which we were very surprised by.

The gym is well maintain but very small. The hotel offer complimentary yoga sessions in the morning which were ok. Outdoor pool area large and has many sun loungers. The pool water temperature was as warm as bath water which felt very strange not to be able to cool off.

All in all I still love this hotel and would return if the opportunity did arise.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GlobeTrotter010
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Imperial during her 50th birthday celebrations. From being picked up at the airport, being welcomed at the hotel, informed that we had been upgraded from the suite that I had booked to another to being checked in, in our room it was all so smooth. Have stayed at the Imperial over the last few years but this was by far the best experience. Such professionalism, such luxury you will not find anywhere in Delhi.
Centrally situated, walking distance to Connaught Place with Rajiv Chowk the metro station close by. It cost me only 15 rupees to visit The Swaminarayan Akshardham in Noida by the metro for a 30 minute journey!!
Do take time to study all the paintings all over the hotel as they will take you back in time for an enlightening history lesson.
A big thank you to one and all at the Imperial for making our stay so memorable. My wife is already planning a trip back to the hotel in July!! Need I say more.......................

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YOGESH P
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Imperial will surely meet the expectations of the traveller who has taste. I stayed here for a night in October 2012, and the stay was, to wit, wonderful. It has all the necessary comforts of a luxury 5 star property. It is next to the commercial areas of Delhi, and if you are a tourist, the location can't get better!

The rooms have been renovated, and the distinct signature of the hotel and its class is everywhere - from the stationary to the linen, along expected lines, just done up so exquisitely. I have visited this hotel more times than I can remember, and while I lived in Delhi, this hotel always looked grand to me.

I will give it a perfect 10 on 10.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Shilendra
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have stayed twice at The Imperial last year (first time in May 2012 and second time in June 2012).
The hotel is ideally located and the gardens offer a peace retreat from the madness of the city!
The reception area offer beautiful flower arrangment for the eyes and the smell is vey nice.
The hotel is full of paintings illustrating the English occupation and just walking in the corridors is an experience.
The rooms we had during our 2 stays were of different categories (Grand Heritage Room and Imperial Room) and were both excellent. Rooms are very clean and well air conditionned (it was 46 degress outside so this was very important for us). The floor attendants were extremely professional, kind and helpful. The only dissapointment were the bed sheets which were not in linen! The view from the rooms is not always nice or existant so better ask for one if this is important for you.
As for restaurants, the Italian restaurant (San Gimignano) is excellent as well as the 1911. Breakfast at La Baguette were one of the best moment of our days in Delhi!
The Spa offers a large menu of treatments. I have tried the Imperial manucure and Pedicure and it was very good.
The Business centre is also very nice and well equipped, offering all the facilities required.
It was so hot outside that we enjoyed the swimming pool which for me is the main weaknesses og the Imperial. It requires a good maintenance and a profound cleaning. The sun loungers around the pool were dirty and also needed a good cleaning!
The reception staff as well as all the staff in general were very nice and professional and made us feel really welcome.
Everything was made to make us feel comfortable and we did not want to leave the place!
I will definitively go back at The Imperial one day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delags
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recommend staying here as it clean, cool and smells of wonderful sweet essences. Very comfortable rooms that allow the weary traveller to rest. A calm oasis from the noise and colour of the embassy district. The food is excellent, no stomach upsets.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gazmos
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Spent 3 nights in a grand heritage room and found it the spacious, well appointed and comfortable. The bed linen and towelling was of the highest quality. The bathroom was spacious and the drench shower actually had some force to it.

Front of house service except the concierge was attentive and helpful. The concierge was there in name but actually whilst helpful didn't have much information.

The breakfast(I would urge people to take this option) was amazing with lots of choice of cuisine, good breads and pastries and a constant flow of fresh food. The service was attentive and very helpful.

The 1911 bar was the only down spot. It is again in a great room but everything is slightly off. Indifferent service(it takes quite sometime to be noticed). Forgotten orders and mediocre cocktails. Even snacks served with the drinks (cheap peanuts and chemical tasting crisps) were bad. A bar charging these rates would be serving snacks like mini kebabs, pakoras etc along with drinks.

I would stay again but avoid the 1911 bar.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple