“Welcome Home!”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #13 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed January 18, 2013

"Welcome home" was the greeting as we arrived at The Imperial.Indeed I wish that was the case! We did not have enough time to enjoy the beautiful surroundings, as both nights ( not consecutive) were rushed and early departures necessary. The scent of jasmine enticed us in, and enveloped us throughout.The staff were helpful and respectful at all times. We dined at Daniel's on both nights, and were impressed by the service, the excellent food, and the advice and knowledge of the manager about the wine list.Our room was luxurious, the bed extremely comfortable, and the whole hotel immaculately clean.I was reluctant to leave.The Imperial is without doubt the most beautiful hotel in which we have stayed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie H

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Imperial was truly a wonderful experience for my family of four. A welcome refuge from the hustle and bustle of New Delhi traffic. The accommodations were superb, the service was outstanding and the restaurants excellent. We particularly enjoyed the piano player in the Nostalgia, who had a repertoire of about 500 songs memorized. The breakfast buffet was also excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: First floor is good. Elevators are old and can only accommodate about 3 people.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Well situated and beautifully stylish hotel in the heart of New Delhi. Combining lovely art deco design with a massive range of fascinating colonial decor, it is an oasis. Classically understated, but not short of any mod-cons. The atmospheric corridors and courtyard take you back in time. Whilst the subtly situated underground spa is a serene and welcome escape from manic Delhi. Overall so much more appealing a hotel than the many modern, but same-same, hotels that dot the city.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We loved this heritage property with its lovely antiques and British colonial decorating scheme. We had a twin room which was elegantly understated but had all of the comforts you could possibly want or need. The buffet breakfast was outstanding including healthy as well as traditional options. The pastries were as good as anything we have enjoyed in France. Try the almond croissants and mini blueberry muffins.

Service is friendly, professional and attentive. We didn't use the pool or outside areas but they looked very nice. Dinner at one of the restaurants-- the spice route I believe-- was in a stunning, richly decorated room with authentic ambience. The food was very good.

Some have mentioned construction outside of the hotel. This caused no inconvenience or noticeable noise. In fact the location of the hotel is central to many sites.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank borntotravel56
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had visited The Imperial several times before for lunch and dinners and always loved the common areas of the property. Based on the great service we had received at their restaurants, I had high expectations about our stay. We arrived several hours before checking in time so our room wasn't ready. We had just come off of a long haul flight so we just wanted somewhere where we could wash our face and sit down and relax. Unfortunately, staff at the reception desk weren't very accommodating in suggesting where we could wait while we waited for our room to become available. They just said that we were free to use the common areas. Perhaps a bit more direction would have been useful. When we finally got into our room, it was spacious and opulent but all of the marble and lack of light didn't feel the most inviting. I had a massage at the spa which was good but not great (compared to the standard at other 5* hotels in South East Asia). I had the unfortunate experience of leaving a piece of jewellery on the bedside table. After I had checked out of the room I remembered that I had forgotten the piece and asked the staff if they would mind sending someone to collect it for me. After contacting housekeeping they informed me that the room had just been cleaned and that no jewellery had been found anywhere in the room. I was disappointed, given that I knew exactly where I left the piece, that it wasn't returned to me. I would have expected more honest service from a hotel of this calibre. I'm a frequent traveller to Delhi but given the price of the hotel, feel of the rooms and sub par service for a hotel carrying a 5* rating, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank goldfishgal
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Everything is well done here, very much British India.

From the moment the gates open, the hotel and grounds just look beautiful.

The staff are excellent, they can not do enough for you, they make the place.

They start by giving you a tour of the hotel, show you the restaurants, grounds, art etc. Just all very well done.

The rooms are wonderful, spacious, clean, the amenities and toiletries are excellent.

You experience instant calm when you come in off the streets of Delhi, which after traveling for a while is priceless.

Technically you don't have the leave the hotel as everything is there, however Connaught place is a short walk away

The restaurants are superb. The breakfast was the best on my whole trip, the choice is diverse, the quality is excellent. The staff remembered where I had sat the day before and what type of eggs I had ... seriously ... it was impressive

The high tea was great, the bar area was gorgeous and the dinner at the spice route excellent.

The pool area was beautiful and the day spa was out of this world.

The only criticism I can find ... and I struggle to find any ... was we were told we didn't need to both to book high tea and we almost missed out ... however the staff there made it happen as we were staying there and the room service forgot to replenish the bathroom one day so we had to call and get extra supplies, like with the high tea ... it was cleaned and relished within 5 minutes.

So, any issues were dealt with in a professional and timely manner

It is expensive ...however the hotel is head and shoulders above any other I stayed at this hotel

Room Tip: Any room is good here
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank whatithink2010
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This hotel offers a unique experience to any traveller as it certainly embraces facets of India's history. It is a contemporary styled colonial hotel and definitely well positioned on Janpath and steps sways from the hustle and bustle of the renowned shopping district. The hotel is a blend of old and new with high ceilings, crystal chandeliers and a wealth of 18th and 19th century art collection that adorn the walls.
Our room ( heritage room) was spacious with separate walk in closet and full bathroom. The bed was super comfortable.
We had a wonderful meal at Spice Route Restaurant- maitre de gave us tour and explained the design and significance of the architecture and layout. The food was superb!
Be careful of the touts outside the gates of the hotel- they will try and persuade you to take an alternative route to the square, telling you that the road is closed......they are very opportunistic and would rather you shop in stores where they get a commission - the concierge had given us a map and directions so we ignored the touts and found our way.
A great hotel in the perfect position- highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple