“Excellent - No room for improvement”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #13 of 727 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice during a 10-day visit to India, sharing a room with my 9-year old daughter, and traveling with my parents. The Imperial hotel is beautiful and old-school grand, but the service is what makes it unparalleled in my experience. Hotel employees from the person who greets you when you arrive to the front desk to the room service were all friendly & efficient, and even custom requests are executed quickly and pleasantly.

The amenities are also stellar, from the Thai restaurant (Spice Route) to the bar (Patalia Peg) to the main restaurant - and the breakfast buffet was our favorite of the 5 hotels we stayed in during our India visit. My daughter loved the swimming pool, which has a fountain in the middle of it (a first for us), and the gym was perfectly serviceable: Enough cardio machines and weights, and some space. There was a spa and yoga studio I didn't have a chance to visit, but I hope to have the opportunity on a return trip.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have much of a view, so if this is important to you, be specific when you book.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Ckvw

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Excellent location at CP new delhi. Very nice and courteus staff. Excellent variey of menu and prepared as described. Nice ambience of verdant lawns abd swimming pool. Amazing old photos of British and Indian aristocracy since 1900. Nice pastry shop.Overall a very different experience compared to other city hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Jaspal_Aulakh
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My intention in visiting India was to savor the heritage buildings. This hotel is a class apart. Amazing service, impeccable rooms and a lovely breakfast make your stay here delightful. The British heritage is still delicately maintained with all the modern amenities. The service staff are prompt and you are totally pampered with their hospitality. A little expensive but totally worth your money. So if you are a lover of history, comfort and class this is an indulgence you will remember.

Room Tip: Dont miss the breakfast , it is truly a lavish spread.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank victorfern F
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel is amazing. Spa is fantastic, service is also excellent.
I stayed at the hotel for 5 days and everything was excellent.
I just had a problem in my checkout that was not solved yet. I used a debit card for guarantee of expenses and the hotel told me that the money was going to be sent back to my bank account but it did not occur yet. I'm trying to contact the hotel by email but I didn't have any feedback yet from them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Maria A
Reviewed December 2, 2012

In a seven-week trip all round India we spent our first and our last week at the Imperial.  There is something very special and soothing about its lovely, calm interior - beautiful corridors adorned with fascinating prints from a bygone era, and everywhere fresh flowers, the scent of jasmine and friendly, smartly dressed staff.

There are four restaurants of very good standard.  The Spice Route is worth visiting just for the decor: slightly variable standard of food but mostly delicious.  The San Gimignano (on a long trip we sometimes felt like a break from Indian cuisine) was so good we found ourselves there more often for dinner than we would have thought - consistently excellent, even to diners who spend a lot of time in Italy, and it is delightful to sit outside.  Daniell's Tavern, newly refurbished, is very attractive and the (enormous) menu harks back to the Raj era with considerable and unexpected humour.   The soothing live traditional Indian music is welcome.  The  1911 is very good for breakfast, lunch and late supper after a show - again consistently good.  The baker produces excellent fresh breads and cakes every day.  A la carte is better value than the buffet, though that is very good.

We found foreign wines overpriced (everywhere) and they don't always travel well.  I suspect they are popular with local residents, but we found Indian wines generally much better and far more reasonable.  If you can't see any on the list then ask for them.  The Sula varieties have improved beyond recognition over the years and are really worth trying.

The spa is wonderful (both the facilities and quality of massages) and the salon the best I used on my travels and extremely reasonable.  The pool is super and a very pleasant place to sit in the sun even when the water is a bit chilly.

Our heritage rooms have always been spacious and really comfortable.  The only downside is housekeeping staff who keep trying to ingratiate themselves so you tip them at the end.

If you need breakfast before the restaurant is open it is free in your room - really good.

Wifi is chargeable, which is poor in this class of hotel, but you may be able to negotiate if you're there for a while.

It's fun to walk up to the shops at Connaught Place (as long as you can cope with persistent street vendors and the chaos of Connaught Place, and can pick your way through the works around the metro building site - but if you plan to venture further in this wonderful country then you should start learning here!).

On this and other long trips up and down this beguiling country we have been fortunate (and sometimes not so) to stay in a whole range of places, from the spectacularly beautiful to the quirky but charming to the plain awful, from some of the best Tajs and Oberois to interesting palaces and rundown small town joints.  The Imperial is clearly at the top of this range and manages to deliver excellent service and comfort while avoiding making one (me anyway) feel on edge because they are trying so hard that it ceases to be relaxing.

This has been our preferred choice in Delhi for nine years and I can't see that changing.  When you arrive they say 'Welcome home' and that's really how it feels by now.

Room Tip: Do say if, like us, you prefer a separate shower.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FJPfromUK
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed yet again at the Imperial for my first 8 days in India. Love the hotel for its attentive staff and locality to CP, my office and the areas of Delhi I need to go to for business meetings. One problem occurred during my first few days on this trip - a problem with the bathroom which I reported and was assured was fixed. Unfortunately it wasn't and they agreed to move me to another room. Nitin, one of the front of house staff, was extremely helpful and showed me a number of rooms before settling on the one for the rest of my stay. So, all in all a very good stay with some good customer service along the way.

Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MDinLondon
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have stayed at The Imperial a number of times. This time it was excellent in all respects. The only irritants were the slowness in which reception and the concierge answered their phones and the hotel didn't always have a hotel car to transport me. But these were minor issues and easily forgiveable given my overall positive experience with the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012