“The Imperial - and that's why”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #9 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“The Imperial - and that's why”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I work in an international industry and my work takes me to many different countries, cities, hotels and resorts. Of all such experiences, my stay at The Imperial has been profoundly pleasant and comfortable. I can talk about the ambience and the heritage however what stands out is the customer service and the incredible perception of the staff of knowing what you want at any given time, and it gets done! I loved it and will be staying there again for sure. They just won me over. Well done The Imperial.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Monty S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Where to next?
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Like the Taj Mahal Hotel, the Imperial oozes old-world luxury. The decor is all about India's colonial past, but nothing feels outdated. My only complaints are that the water coming out of the shower was decidedly brown, and the gym is located in a basement and is a bit dark an depressing. On the plus side, the lamb that I ate in the hotel's Indian restaurant is among the most delicious that I have ever had. I would happily stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Back_to_Sandringham
Toronto
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The Imperial is such a dichotomy. In many ways it's the epitome of luxury living; in others it fails to do what even 3-star hotels can do. Here are the positives and negatives:

Negatives:
- rusty pipes. The water in both the showers and the sink were initially totally brown - and this wasn't just in one room, but two (I moved rooms during my stay). The hotel staff tried their best to fix it, and at first it got better. But then the water started smelling/tasting like rust again. Needless to say showering in it and, worse, brushing one's teeth with that water, was far from acceptable
- awful airport pick-up. The hotel had another guest who was supposed to be on the same flight as me. But all that it resulted in was me waiting for 45 minutes at the airport without any movements, until I had had enough and took a taxi to the hotel myself. What is the point of a hotel pick-up then?
- rude valets. Unresponsive. Unhelpful. We were trying to get a taxi and they kept on shooing us away for arriving guests in cars. Rather rude.
- showing me to a double-bed room without asking. This is a niggling thing, but I wish they had asked me if I preferred a single bed over a double bed before leading me to a room and asking me to stay there for the morning.
- ridiculous wifi costs. For 24 hrs, the wifi costs 18EUR. And it's not even fast! Sorry, but most hotels this standard have FREE wifi at this point.
- noisy outside. Sounds like there's a protest outside everyday? People yelling on speakerphones, a crowd yelling back... It's loud enough to wake me up in the morning.

Positives:
- due to the rusty pipes and the airport hotel pick-up, the hotel was nice enough to send me flowers as an apology. It's not much, but at least it's a nice touch.
- wonderful pool. Large and beautifully lit at night
- nice freshly made croissants for breakfast. Not an outstanding breakfast lineup, but perfectly adequate for a 5-star hotel
- some wonderful staff members. One in particular, Tushar, was very professional.
- beautiful interior, with marble floors and exquisite artworks
- not far from Connaught Place - walkable

I wavered between giving the hotel a 2- or a 3-star review, because certainly it was not bad. But in the end it comes down to this - would I stay there again? And alas the answer is no, unless they fix a lot of the issues I mentioned - especially the pipes and the wifi.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Werckmeister
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My wife and I visited India for the first time in January 2012, and stayed for 2 weeks. During our stay we visited these hotels, in order: Leela Palace (Delhi), Raas Haveli (Jodhpur), The Serai (near Jaisalmer), Oberoi Udaivilas (Udaipur), and The Imperial (Delhi).

The Imperial was the lowest quality hotel of these five. This hotel might feel impressive if we were visiting 50 years ago. I have almost given a 2-star Tripadvisor rating, simply because it was so underwhelming relative to its price and stature. I've opted for 3-stars because there was nothing "wrong" with our experience, per se. It's mostly that the hotel is dated, lacking room amenities, and in need of renovation. It feels cold and bizarre inside; I almost felt like we were in The Overlook Hotel from the film "The Shining".

First a few good things. It is centrally located. Other "5-star" hotel options in Delhi are generally not right near city center. The staff was friendly and service efficient. They arranged a day trip to Agra for us, which went smoothly; the driver was kind. However they packed a beyond-mediocre "picnic" breakfast for us. I felt like I was getting a school snack in 5th grade.

Now the not-as-good parts. Even the lobby here suffers a renovation and layout issue as it just doesn't feel well-kept or cohesive. The main problem is the room itself. We paid more for this room (quite a bit more as I recall) than the Leela Palace for a FAR inferior quality. Though fairly clean, it was not as sparkling as you'd like at this level. From the sheets to the furniture to the bathroom, everything felt heavily used, old and run-down. Like the common areas it lacked inviting qualities. The layout of the space was odd and our window looked out over a staff service entrance. The bathroom was honestly no better than a Holiday Inn. While large in space, it had few amenities, a completely nondescript shower, and lifeless walls and floors. Towels were bad as well.

A special note of shock goes out to the Spice Route restaurant: it is simply not good. If you're factoring it into your decision to stay here, don't. I have no idea - NO IDEA - why this restaurant is famous. The dishes and flavors were straight out of a fast-food Chinese-American establishment. I can't even say the quality redeemed it. Service was hurried and careless. For the price, you're better off visiting McDonald's twenty times. Please, please, even if you choose The Imperial, do not bother with Spice Route.

At the end of the day, having experienced the Leela Palace there is no way we could reserve The Imperial again. I could only (barely) understand staying here if location was that important. But I'd wager that nicer accommodations could be found. Or, I'd recommend budgeting an extra 30 minutes into your comings and goings and staying at a far better hotel away from the center.

Clearly The Imperial feels it has the demand to keep room prices at a 5-star level, but if you are a Tripadvisor user you're likely savvy enough to make a better choice!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank iranison
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

very luxurious, top standard service and facilities. Colonial but in a tasteful and not too heavy way. Gym absolute world-class in equipment selection and luxurious ambience. Pool and pool-side very spacious but exposed to busy main-road traffic noise. Cannot imagine that I'd get tired of the amazing selection and quality of the breakfast buffet in a month! Spa superb. Room on arrival a bit stuffy due to monsoon dampness but was fixed with scent from oil-lamp. Excellent value for money. Would go back any day for business or pleasure; this is the new benchmark for all my future travels (previously Traders, KL)

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Floh T
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Staŷed twice now. Very well appointed hotel with some great decor. Very friendly, helpful and attentive staff. Very smooth airport transfers to/from airport even with late running inbound flight. Good breakfast spread. Ate twice in Daniell's Tavern - really tasty and authentic Indian dishes at reasonable prices. Comfy bedrooms. Both the Patiala Peg and the 1911 bars are very atmospheric and good for pre/post dinner drinks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank J786
Sydney
Reviewed July 20, 2012

All the superlatives have been used about the fabulous art deco surroundings, the delicious food, the great location and the comfortable rooms but I would like to mention the warmth of the service. Perhaps I was expecting a trifle on the stuffy side but thankfully that was not the case. The Imperial staff were welcoming and genuinely proud to be working in such a glorious property. The lovely maitre'd of the Spice Route gave us an illuminating guide to the artwork and layout of this beautiful restaurant.
Even with some minor room refurbishment going on in the property, our stay was a delight. My only regret is that our 3 days passed so quickly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends