3,341 results
All reviewsspice routeheritage roomdaniell's tavernwelcome homebeautiful hotelcolonial stylean oasismarble floorsconnaught placeluxury hotelbreakfast buffetindian restaurantspadelhirajatriumemporium
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We were at the hotel for three nights and our overall experience was excellent. Our suite was quite spacious, well appointed and full of light. The rooms were kept fresh and clean and housekeeping was on their toes, responding to requests promptly and pleasantly. We really enjoyed the selection of restaurants and the breakfast buffet, seated on the patio, overlooking the lawn was always a treat. The hotel has a grand, colonial, style to it and the lithographs and statues a study in of themselves. The only negative was an impersonal front desk staff, who were quite transactional and unengaged beyond.... all in all, a minor issue against the backdrop of great service and space. It is a bit pricey but worth it at least once.. if you decide not to stay, visit for lunch on the patio when visiting Connaught Place or the Cottage Industries Store across the street.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank discovermore
Reviewed July 13, 2011

The old good times of the imperial are over...I can remember how good was the past french GM and the results of his hard work for our best enjoyment. Since then he was replaced by an ex Lalit Staff wooshoo fired from there and placed at the Imperial because of a corrupted system. The new german Chef has transformed the dining experience into a Mac Donald with croc madam and monsieur he doesn't even know how to cook. This hotel relies on his past. We used to stay there with our whole family, cousins and childrens but have now shifted to much better hotels such as Hyatt or Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank vikramoberoi
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This is an excellent hotel quite central in New Delhi. The hotel has some higly recommended restaurants and eating options most of which deserve their high ratings (atleast the ones I ate in). The hotel's public places are very cosy and nice. This is a 70-80 year old hotel with history so most walls have paintings / pictures from early 1900s etc. The hotel attempts to mimic an english lodge from 1940s so most things are wooden, lighting is soft and dim, place for fire place, large public restrooms on most floors etc.

The rooms however disappointed me. The category of room I had had a window opening inside the hotel. I could see a small sit out below and an aisle accross my window giving zero privacy. So if I left the curtains open, I would have everyone staying on the floor and service staff look into my room. The lightly, like I said is designed to be dim. It was abit too dim in my room and bathrom to the extent that I had to call and ask them for more light (I need glasses to see so while shaving without them I managed to cut myself becasue of the dim light). They changed the old bulbs but dint really make a big difference. Claustrophobic in one word. Having said that the rooms are very well appointed and are luxurious. The bathroom still had old faucets and fittings so gettiing desired pressure or temperateure of water in the shower was a bit of a challenge.

I was told by a long staying italian gentleman that the other rooms facing outwards are much better and nicer. I suspect some rooms are more recently renovated than the others - I may have got an older room.

The quality of service is average and not really worth writing about. The gym and spa are is very nice and well appointed.

Over all a nice hotel but look for an outward facing new room if you stay for a value for money experience given the rates at this hotel.

Room Tip: Look for an outward facing room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Hands down, this is the best hotel in Delhi. From the minute you drive up until your bags are packed and back in the car to leave, you are treated like royalty. Everyone from the housekeeping staff to the General Manager want to ensure you never have a problem, and want you to feel like you are at home.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank stoneiam
Reviewed July 5, 2011

All of my colleagues love this hotel and it's certainly up there with the Mumbai Taj and the Singapore Raffles as one of Asia's great historic hotels. A beautiful Art Deco building with classic English lawns, its simple exteriors are matched by all marble floors, gilded chandeliers and a fine collection of British Raj art adorning every conceivable hanging space (including a cherub in my bathroom).

The service is understated but effusive - a polite mention that a fly was spotted at breakfast brought a uniformed man whose pest controlling purpose was clear. I was a little disappointed to have a room facing into an internal lobby, that the main lawn had a half-constructed marquee on it, and that the water in my bath was brown for the first day. Would I come back? Absolutely

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business