“Excellent service”

Ranked #24 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Hong Kong
“Excellent service”
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We spent a night in the ITC Welcome Sheraton earlier this week having stayed at several different hotels in Delhi and in Agra during our visit. The Sheraton was without doubt one of the best hotel we stayed in (see review on Intercontinental Eros Place). One piece of advice, be sure to print out the full name and address of the hotel before you travel, as there are several Sheratons located in different parts of Delhi and drivers get really confused.

We booked a king bed room on non-smoking floor and we were pleased to be informed upon arrival that we were upgraded to a club room and we were promply brought to the club floor lounge for happy hour drinks and snacks while we checked in.

The hotel and our room was modern, clean and well-equiped, and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The selection and quality of food in the hotel was surprisingly good. We will definitely stay there again next time in Delhi.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelista852

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed November 3, 2009

The best part of our stay in New Delhi was the Sheraton hotel. It was the only place in New Delhi where we were treated like royalty and not stared at constantly because we were Indian Americans.; we actually felt welcome. The amenities are a plus with a Spa and beautiful pool. The complimentary breakfast buffet was amazing with international cuisine. The room was clean and the bathroom was the best out of all the ones we had encountered through our tour of India. The staff was very kind and attentive from the minute we arrived at the airport until our departure . In fact at our departure we were lucky enough to have a representative of the Sheraton, Manoj Kumar who was with us every step of the way as Air India gave us a very difficult time with our luggage and its weight. His quick thinking and experience allowed us to receive a minimum charge of 50% of what Air India wanted us to pay originally. We were grateful for our stay in the Sheraton because it ensured a smooth visit. We will definitely be back. :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blackopal2
Bangkok
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Very comfortable, clean rooms, spacious and modern bathrooms, I enjoyed my stay at Sheraton almost 100%. Very helpful staff, good buffet for lunch.

Draw backs: There was the smell of fresh paint in the floor. Internet charge IR 700 per 24 hours.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank kilovolt500
delhi
Reviewed September 14, 2009

i celeberated my birthday in this hotel the staff were prompt and effecient and they were brilliant in every aspect the birthday cake was yummy and beautiful prepared by thier lady chef. and the location of this hotel is great especially if u r a foodie and shopahlic and movie buff. i have no doubt to say they have best malls around walking distance in india yes in india.and people in this part of delhi r genuine and honest if u compare with other parts as it is located in elite part of southdelhi. which isconsidered to be themost affluent part . though for tourist it may be a bit far from tradional tourist spots but i must say it worth a shot. i hope u will enjoy a great service from thier staff as i did.

• Liked — service and location
  • Disliked — a bit far from central delhi
  • Stayed March 2009
1 Thank anurag202
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I'm willing to admit, my judgement of the Sheraton New Delhi has been clouded somewhat by glorious stays in other properties managed by the ITC Welcomgroup in India, (also operated under the Sheraton franchise), so this place was going to have to do a lot to really stand out!
My employer selects, and pays for, my accommodation when I travel, so I can't comment on the value of the nightly rates, or how they compare with other hotels in the chain. The Delhi property, while maintaining a high overall standard of both accommodation and service, seems lacking in a few of the 'little things' which can really make a stay, and which differentiate other properties in the group.
First off, the 'Sheratonisation' process seems to be continuing apace! I understand that having the backing of a huge, well-respected and popular brand is of great value to both the group and their customers, but the small differences which gave the Indian hotels more of a 'local' feel seem to be disappearing, to be replaced by the generic 'Sheraton' model. This isn't a huge thing, I know - and indeed, some might welcome the familiarity - but I always used to enjoy the seemingly 'exotic' bathroom ameneties made in India and the like!
The public spaces of the hotel have a modern feel which, apart from the ever-smiling doormen bedecked in their traditional outfits, could almost be anywhere in the world. The rooms themselves are what I have come to expect, with high ceilings, lots of dark wood and plenty of wardrobe space. I am sure some will think me picky, but the standard of the rooms here in Delhi are not as high as elsewhere, (and I'm comparing a regular, non-executive floor, non-marvellous view type room here!) Again it's the little things. The mini-bar - which I never use, I'll admit, and often empty straight away to restock with my own bits and pieces - looks like it hasn't been attended to in a while and is practically empty. There is one glass to drink from and, unlike at other Sheratons in India, no swizzle sticks, straws, coasters etc. There is no iron or ironing board in the room, and I suspect this is common across the board, (so to speak!); while a quick call to housekeeping will sort this out, it would be handier if there was an iron to hand for when you need it!
The bed is huge and comfortable, so no complaints there, (and after all, isn't that the most important thing?!), plus there is a cosy two-seater sofa with a coffee table, which gives an idea of the size of the room. Flatscreen TVs seem to have appeared since my last visit, (not a big draw for me personally, but everyone seems desperate to get the things in their rooms these days!), and there are three telephones in the room and bathroom, so you've no excuse to miss a call! The workdesk area is organised in a corner layout, which makes it easy to use. International visitors will also appreciate the 'multiplug' sockets in the room, (I have spotted two!), which seem to cater for all of the various plugs from around the world, (though check on the voltage first!) There's one by the workdesk, and another beside the bed, so handy for charging the mobile overnight!
The bathroom is, comparatively, quite small. It is however very pleasant and loaded up with ameneties. The shower is over the bath in this room, unlike at other properties which feature a separate shower. There are plenty of mirrors throughout both the room and bathroom, so if the lighting at one doesn't work for you then another will!

Service at the hotel is not as gracious as I have come to expect from Sheratons in India. I'm not expecting - and never appreciate - staff falling over me, but it is quite common to pass by staff in the hallways and for a pleasantry offered not to be returned, or for a smile not to be reciprocated. It's not that thay are being rude; it's just that I have come to expect and appreciate a smile from time to time! Equally, the concierge, while accommodating and obliging, seemed somewhat unenthusiastic and requests from myself and colleagues were met but with little good grace!

I am sure there are worse places to stay at, even within this price bracket. What is disappointing, is that I KNOW this could all be done so much better, (and is being achieved elsewhere in the ITC Welcomgroup chain!) As I say, I've been spoiled somewhat by previous experiences elsewhere; a bit more effort and the Sheraton New Delhi could easily match, and exceed, these experiences.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Alec P
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed August 7, 2009

The ambiance at this hotel is great. The hotel staff were courteous and helpful. The helped plan my entire stay in Delhi.

Great Place to be.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
galesburg
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Imagine driving down from District Kangra(on a good day, about 15 hours), having a heat stroke in Chandigar, both your drivers having a good command of English and Hindi, arriving on outskirts of Delhi and they call the hotel to obtain directions. Then, over two hours later, apparently due to misdirection from hotel staff, finally arriving, Delhi traffic notwithstanding. The room(and amenities like slippers, robes, etc)reserved for two is prepared for one. The SPG lounge insists on beverage service for only one guest even though there are clearly two in the party. On check-out and preparation to airport the first vehicle in the line is clearly not suitable. Finally when speaking with SPG Guest Services back stateside you are told that the hotel provided you with complimentary transportation tot he airport, clearly not the case.
On the plus side, luxurious public areas and sumptous brunch buffet-a real effort to "regain the confidence of the guest," somehow falling through. Somewhat of a departure from the usually excellent Sheraton/SPG customer service.

• Liked — public areas, food service
  • Disliked — guest services
  • Stayed April 2008