“Great place”

The Lalit New Delhi
Ranked #36 of 728 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I stayed in Lalit for attending a medical conference. It is a wonderful property. The rooms are very spacious and cozy. Hospitality is superb. the best thing is food. You can get all most all type of food here and its very delicious too. Overall i found this hotel is a great deal.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We booked a couple of nights here for R&R at the end of a long, tiring trip. We arrived at 3.00 pm "room not ready". The first room we were shown was dirty and missing things like hairdryer. Two hours later we finally made it to a fairly good room. We had booked a "Luxury" room so that we had the benefit of the Lounge for tea, happy hour, etc. It turned out that the Lounge was closed but "alternative arrangements" had been made. Nobody seemed to have informed the staff in Wok's that this was the case - service was non-existent on our first visit and slovenly thereafter. Breakfast was taken in the chaos of the coffee shop where it could take 20 minutes to get tea/coffee. The room we ended up in was poor. We really object to this new fashion for providing only one armchair in a double room - where is the second person meant to sit? And why the lack of towels, robes, toiletries (which were not top-end) for two people? The housekeeping was careless, the room was cramped, the storage space was almost non-existent, the safe broke, there was a leak at the bathroom sink, the plug in the sink didn't work, internet connection was intermittent (although the IT staff did their best), the AC was unworkable. We went for dinner at Baluchi - the twice-cooked lamb was like shoe-leather and was sent back, and why no Indian wine on the wine list? We could go on...The only plus was the barman, who was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anscotEdinburgh
megh10, Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2011

Dear Tripadvisor member

At the outset I would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Lalit, New Delhi.
It is the feedback from our esteemed and valued guests which gives us an opportunity to further enhance and refine our processes to achieve customer delight. I am confident you will find marked improvement in the services during your subsequent visits.

Reviewed February 25, 2011

I had been to Lalit about 2 years back before it was renamed and i was surprised that it was in the 5 star league. Honestly, i wasn't expecting much this time especially with a name like 'The lalits' (sounds a bit cheesy) but i was pleasantly surprised. They have redone the place and it looks fabulous..The rooms are very clean and posh and excellent room service. Also, the breakfast layout was very interesting. Although slightly expensive but I would definitely recommend a stay at the Lalit .

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Tripadvisor member

At the outset I would like to thank you for your recent stay at The LaLiT New Delhi. I am glad to note that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and found our services measuring up to your satisfaction.

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We enjoyed our hotel stay here and it was good value compared to the other 5* hotels in Delhi. Our room was extremely comfortable with a wonderful king bed with matress topper. First rate. Good internet access but a little slow. You have to pay for it but it is not as expensive and some of the other hotels in the same class. Our breakfast was great but it is very busy and sometimes the staff there cannot cope. This needs improvement. However, all the other services and staff were really helpful, friendly and always smiling. The pool was great although I could only use it on one occassion as it is not a good time of year for warmth and sunshine. The location is convernient if you want to be in central Delhi and do business or get to the train station or visit local attractions like Old Delhi, Governement buildings and so on. There are some good restaurants nearby and plenty of places for local shopping. We used local taxi's. The hotel can always get a cab for you and sort out sight seeing activities. I would not hesitate to recomment this hotel. No problem with noise from the train station. We had a luxury room and it was on a high floor. I would have liked club facilities. It is not really special to have a cocktail or high tea in the top floor restaurant because it is rather dark and uncomfortable. Very few peope took advantage of this extra that comes with luxury rooms. I really would have like somewhere comfortable to sit and enjoy this extra. I would recomment this hotel without hesiation and it is good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2011

jan17th & 18th---i have stayed for 2 nights , i found it nicely done with all amenities and good place for relaxation and holiday. being centrally located good for shopping as well.spa was good

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed February 24, 2011

We philatelists from all over the world ,more than 50 countries stayed there between 10-19 February.For Indipex philatelic exibition.
These are not only my opinions.I spoke atleast 20 colleagues.
The stuff working at reception were not friendly. My first room at the 15 th floor.I had to change it because it was very noisy because of the hotels old air condition system.
They changed my room with half size one.It was OK first nights.When your neighbour room turnes on the air cond. it is a helicopter noise.Although they leave a leaflet " complementary seasons fruits" I received 2 aples in 9 nights.
One day I doroped my pen on floor with that ocacion I saw unden my bed.The dusts were like small balls..I worned the reception.Next day they cleaned under my bed but rest of the room stayed still.I checked under the armchair it was the same.
I guess they have never cleaned the window glass since the hotel were builded.
Although India is a hot country in winter you may need heater in your room.No chance !!!!
Noisy air condition does not worm you,no heater.
First day there was a problem with my sink.Water stayed in all the time.I called reception.
Nobody came.Next day I told again same result.Finally I fixed it by myself.
Some stuff are exaggerating the "help" just to receive a bit more tips from you.
Although they have not a mentioned money change desk,they change your $ or € in to IN rupies. Rates are very high.Normal rate is 1 $= 45/46 rupies outside.They change 1$ = 42 rupies. Lets say it is normal.All 5 * hotels do the same. When you are checking in they want some deposit.From your credit card or cash in US $ .While you are checking out if you gave in $ ,they pay you back in rupies.In fact you are not paying any money you are just leaving a deposit.But they change it in rupies and give to you.Think about it .If you are checking out ,that means you are leaving the country,so what will you do with the local curency.
Lunch and diner in hotel is rather expensive.Bufet includes more then 20 dishes but cost around 50/60 US $. For India it is a fortune.And for the second night food is tasteless.
Reception stuff do not show you nearest best restaurants on map for help.
International phone calls and internet connection are available but very expensive.
Result : Although Lalith is 5* it does not deserve the price and somehow the stars...

Hakan Akcaoglu
Turkey

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bukalemun961

Reviewed February 20, 2011

from the waiting free limo ride at the airport to the friendliest goodbye ever at a hotel the lalit shined 5 stars every moment. i'm not saying i didn't pay a fair wage for this treatment but i am saying every cent was worth it. expedia got me a great air/hotel deal. the staff couldn't of been kinder. the place is spotless.
if you forced me into saying anything negative it would be: the management didn't invite me to stay forever. seriously it was that nice.
later we flew from delhi airport to bagdogra,india on kingfisher airlines. yes, true air service still exist.
kingfisher airlines was fantastic from check in until we departed the terminal. comfort, kind flight attendants and a very smooth flight.
sadly, we had flown into a region of india under civil disorder. please see my rather harsh review of the darjeeling elgin hotel. mind you all info is true so help me god.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
megh10, Manager at The Lalit New Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011