“4 stars for the rooms, 0 for train ticket scam”

and 1 more site!
The Hospitality Home Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #37 of 940 Specialty Lodging in New Delhi
Montreal, Canada
“4 stars for the rooms, 0 for train ticket scam”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I would have given a very good review for this budget hotel if it weren't for their train ticket scam. So first the good, then the bad:

1. Room: Our room was clean and quite spacious, and the shower worked well. For just over Rs. 2000 a night, this was a great deal in Delhi. The Indian breakfast was hot and delicious. Location was just steps away from the Karol Bagh market and the metro, yet it wasn't very noisy (by Delhi standards).

2. Airport pickup: my emails for the pickup were promptly replied and the pickup went well. However, I assumed the pickup was free since my room was called "deluxe airport pickup room". We were charged Rs. 450. This is actually a very fair price compared to taking a cab, but the room name was misleading and this cost was never mentioned anywhere in their emails. We can live with this though.

3. The SCAM: the morning after we arrived, a young man working at hotel told us we must check our train tickets, since the web site we bought them from (Cleartrip) has been having errors. This was all done in front of the hotel owner, who said nothing. The young man took us to a "travel agency", where the agent phoned "Indian Railways" and then told us our tickets are not valid. The agent then tried to sell us a costly car trip. This didn't feel right so we turned them down. Later we saw that they also tried this with other foreign tourists who stayed there. The owner must be well aware of it.

Bottom line is: this isn't a smart way of doing business. Good budget hotels in Delhi are not easy to find, so the hotel would do much better to gather good reviews with the nice rooms they already have, rather than turning people off with obvious scams. We felt uncomfortable afterwards and cancelled our later bookings with them. What a pity since the rooms and most of the staff were nice.

If you are on a budget, this place is still an excellent deal. Just avoid the scams.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank rabbitova
HHS H, Owner at The Hospitality Home Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Thanks for your review and i am glad that you appreciate our small BnB . I have seen your reservation , you had booked Deluxe Room and asked for the airport pick up . Please check our micro site at agoda website , when you click information it will show the airport pick up charges. We are providing airport pick up for a little cost of Rps 450 to avoid scams at Delhi International airport , where tourists arrive and taken to wrong hotels where these taxi driver get fat commissions.

I am very sorry to learn that some tout took you to a travel agency who tried to scam you for your clear trip tickets, but i had no knowledge of it. It's really sad because of this scam you had cancelled your bookings with us.This is the first case happen with our Guest, and thanks for posting it here , i am very serious about it now i will be extra careful and will guide about these scams to all other incoming Guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Pune
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed here for 6 days. The stay began on sour note as the reception gave us a standard room and insisted that all the rooms were occupied. They also told us that the standard room was the deluxe room. When we refused to check in and insisted on seeing other rooms and informed them that we had paid for a deluxe room. we were taken to other hotels which had tie ups with this hotel. When we did not like any room they showed, we were taken to the manager who sits in an office about 500 meters away. We spoke to the manager and convinced him that we would stay only in a deluxe room we had paid for. Finally, we managed to get the room we wanted and came back to register. Our stay was very good. All the facilities like TV, wifi worked well till the second last day. Somehow, both the TV and the wifi had poor connectivity on the last day. The breakfast has 3 options so if you are staying for 6 days, it tends to become monotonous. The service is very good. All our requests were handled promptly. They also go out of their way as one day when we were going to Agra, they got our breakfast ready by 7.15 am. The hotel does not mention it but the airport pick up is not included in the cost but has to be paid separately. The deluxe room does not have a refrigerator or a bath tub as mentioned on their website.

Room Tip: Avoid the room no.1 as the calls to reception can be clearly heard in the room. If no one picks up t...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ochhra
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I have to say that I have found a wonderful place to stay in Delhi. It is peaceful, clean, friendly and very comfortable. The only thing missing in my room was natural daylight, otherwise it would get 5 stars. Some of the rooms do have windows so if, like me, you like natural light, ask for a room with a window.

However, that aside I would highly recommend you stay here with hot or cold water, breakfast in the morning, TV should you wish and helpful advice from all the staff.

If I make it back to Delhi I know where I'll stay!

Room Tip: Get one with a window!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Goatcabin
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights. Was the cleanest placed we stayed at while in Delhi. TV had great channels. Great bed with clean sheets . Breakfast was good. Staff very helpful. Great location. Lots of cheap shopping. Good Spice shop and Indian Sweet shops were close by!

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank BekAust
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I booked this hotel through agoda knowing its 1 star hotel but just because of reviews on agoda. It was written airport pick up but when I called up on the night of 1st Feb to the number mentioned on voucher, first of all the guy mentioned its wrong number and than told me hotel rooms are full and nooone would come for pick up. So on 2nd Feb I took airport lounge for 6 hours for 4 grands which was same cost I paid for 3 nights in this hotel.
Now in the morning when I called up the number they told me first that hotel number is different and gave me number of Amit, he is telling me that hotel rooms are booked and told me to come Shimla heritage hotel as he would accomodate me over there. When I told him that I write reviews on every hotel and trips I make he accomodated me to hospitality home.
Now talking about it, Its great place to be for someone who wants a homely feeling, a great breakfast in your room and yes a good internet speed and one gets all necessary facilities, yes they did upgraded me to delux room free of cost.....

Room Tip: Please call the number mentioned on voucher to ensure that the room is available or else you would e...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kunal_bagadia
HHS H, Guest Relations Manager at The Hospitality Home Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear Kunal,

Thanks for your important review i like to clarify that when you book from Agoda, we did not had your contact information, neither you passed your flight details in advance for your airport pick up to us. Secondly please understand that ,as per your booking the room check in time was 12 noon on 2 feb, however you arrived at airport 3 AM very early morning of 2 feb which was the night between 1st and 2nd feb,and we had no rooms available at that time, That's why you had to spent the night of 1st feb at Airport hotel.

And finally you came to city from airport around 8 AM of 2nd feb and our rooms were still occupied as check out / check in time is 12 noon , we tried to accommodate you in neighbouring hotel , that's why we offer you to stay in Hotel Shimla Heritage which is more expensive than what you paid for our BnB - without any extra cost , as we were under impression that you must be tiered and need a room at once.

In last , i would like to submit that in case you have booked the hotel from 1st feb onward all this difficulties could have been avoided But I am glad once you stayed with us , you felt satisfied with our rooms and other services.

Thanks for staying with us !