“Nice restaurant, but not for everybody”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Golconda Bowl

The Golconda Bowl
Ranked #396 of 12,552 Restaurants in New Delhi
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice restaurant, but not for everybody”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I recently had a meal at the Golconda Bowl restaurant. It is located in a nice area of restaurants and shops, but can be somewhat difficult to find. Nonetheless, we had read great reviews about the restaurant and were determined to eat there. The restaurant had a nice interior and knowleadgable/prompt service. Despite the ambience and great service, we left the restaurant with a feeling of dissapointment. Everything that we ate had the same exact taste. That taste was the sensation of fire in your mouth and nothing else. We realize that Indian cuisine will be somewhat spicy, but it should still be enjoyable. Furthermore, even if a dish has some spicy pepers, I should still be able to taste other flavors and ingredients. This was not possible, because the taste of the spicy pepers overwhelmed any other subtle flavors that might have existed. The quality of othe ingredients was good, but this single fatal flaw has ensured that we will not be enjoying another meal at this restaurant. We had meals at other Delhi restaurants and this was different. I hope that the restaurant's management can make adjustments for tourists who do not want to eat fire for lunch. There is a difference to having a meal with a little bit of kick to it and a meal which is completely overwhelmed by spicy ingredients (no taste/flavor, just a continous burn).

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Arshad1

“Mouthwatering Hyderabad Food”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We went to this place after some mixed reviews from diff. groups. But the experience was mind blowing. We tried Pathar ke kabab, Kache ghost ki biryani n mirchi ka salan. All the dishes were just perfectly done. Hyderabad ki yaad aa gyi. Even the mohito had a different taste. Nice ambience n courteous staff. the Manager (I guess Mr. Nitin) was very courteous n made us very comfortable....cooking process of each dish was explained very well. Must visit if you are fond of Non Veg specially Hyderabadi non veg.

2 Thank Rituzzz
New Delhi, India
“Mouthwatering biryani and nalli nihari!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

One of the best non-vegetarian restaurants that I have come across in Delhi. I have visited the restaurant twice and ordered umpteen times at home, and the food has been excellent each time. The service in the restaurant is attentive without being intrusive. Especially the suggestions by the manager and his attention to each guest is praise-worthy.

Out of all the biryanis I have tried in the city, the 'kacche gosht ki biryani' at Golconda bowl has really topped the list. The quality has been consistently excellent whether in the restaurant or home delivery. I have never been a big biryani fan but this dish has changed me! Another dish which is recommended for gravy lovers is the 'nalli nihari' - melt in the mouth meat with excellent gravy. For some reason the spices in this dish remind me of one the meat dishes cooked by my mother at home and I just love it! Among the various starters that we have tried, I would recommend the 'subz motia kebab' which were excellent in taste with the sabudana providing the right amount of crunchiness. One disappointment was the 'tala hua gosht' starter which found not to be as per description on the menu. The dish was more a dry masala meat dish and not a crunchy starter one would expect as per the description. Somehow I have not found the desserts up to the mark at Golconda, extremely sweet and extremely heavy on the stomach. Have tried all and not taken to any m'afraid.

This really is my favourite place for biryani and nalli nihari! Plus the delivery time is consistently within an hour. For these dishes, and veg starters, a big thumbs up. For the excellent food, I find the prices quite reasonable.

The management ought to do something about the phone service though which at times comes as 'out of order' for hours on end.

4 Thank dnaruka
New York
“Fabulous restaurant - they help foreigners choose great dishes”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We ate here based on Trip Advisor reviews and were extremely happy with the service and the food. We eat a good deal of Indian food in the US, but had never had Hyderabadi food. The servers gave us excellent recommendations. I had a number of vegetarian dishes and my husband got the Mutton - which he said was delicious. We returned to Delhi about a month later and had to go back to this restaurant because it was so good.

3 Thank Kay D
New Delhi, India
“Best for Biryani in Delhi”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hidden in the lane of House Khas village but worth visiting. Generally people avoid having Mutton in restr. but here u must have it and believe me u will lovr it. Best to start with Patthar ka gosht which will simply melt in your mouth. In chicken we had ordered only sigri cooked which was good but nothing extra ordinary. In main course must order for Dum ka Gosht which is their speciality. Nihari Gosht with Nihari Naan is mind blowing. And the Biryani with Mirchi Ka Salan is owesome!!!!!!. After having Authentic Biryanis in Hyderabad & Lukhnow , I do not like Biryanis in any resturants in Delhi. But this is very near to authentic Hyderabadi Biryani. A must visit for meat lovers. If visiting for the first time, the floor manager will help u choosing the menu. Service is very good & reasonably fast however depends on the selection of menu.

• Visited May 2013