Review Highlights
Wonderfully informative and fun

We were a group of 6 adult friends who pre booked with transport. Didn’t really know what to expect... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
MarkCultureVulture
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
via mobile
Beat Way to Experience true culture

I had a fantastic day with Jyoti! It was the perfect way to wrap up a business trip. I am a hobby... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

from $15.00
from $38.00
from $90.00
More Info
All reviews indian cooking cooking class spice market cooking experience lovely home recipe booklet chicken rogan josh mustard oil vegetarian and non vegetarian north indian cooking course delicious dishes learn how home cooking background information great introduction wealth of knowledge
Reviewed July 28, 2015

I am visiting India for 3 weeks and was given an afternoon and evening with Jyoti learning about Indian cuisine and culture. It was beyond description. I had an introduction to Indian spices, cooking techniques and a meal in addition. It was a lifetime personal favorite experience. Jyoti has travelled a great deal and has a breadth of knowledge of the world. You won't be disappointed!

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank Liz4949
Reviewed July 28, 2015

Jyoti was a very helpful, informative, interesting teacher. She told us a lot of history regarding indian cooking styles and also showed us loads of insiders trick and traits to perfect the perfect home cooked indian meal. All if was really easy to understand and once youve got the base you can alter lots of recipes to your desires. She also enjoy baking and making chocoate if that is something you would be interested in learning. I would highly recommend her when you are in delhi and have time to spare.

Date of experience: July 2015
Reviewed July 14, 2015

I have been to the Delhi area on multiple occasions for work and was looking to do something different and came across a review on Tripadvisor for Gourmet Desire. I've always enjoyed Indian food and thought it too difficult to cook on my own. Jyoti, the owner/instructor, was able to make Indian cooking something that I would want to do on my own.

We cooked about six dishes together. It helped that there is someone in the kitchen who takes care of the chopping and dishwashing so it was very possible to complete these dishes in about three hours. Afterwards, we sat down and ate and, not only enjoyed the food, but each other's company as well.

I also opted to take an excursion to the spice market where she took me to the purveyor whom she herself uses.

In addition to teaching Indian cuisine, Jyoti also specializes in teaching how to cook chocolate and desserts. She will also host a meal in her home, lead shopping tours, and do a tour of street food vendors. It is definitely a different way of experiencing Delhi.

The next time I return to Delhi, I'm calling Jyoti and requesting a home-cooked meal.

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank Klikes2travel
Reviewed July 10, 2015

I went to Jyoti's class with a group of 10 girls. We arranged short notice and Jyoti was very accommodating! We all really enjoyed her class. She has a beautiful home and was very welcoming when we arrived. She is funny and was a wonderful host. She had helpers in her kitchen who cut up/prepared the fixings to save time and after she was done showing us the ropes of Indian cooking, Jyoti and her helpers set up the table with all the dishes we had made and enjoyed a delicious meal. Her class made me feel like I could go home and recreate her dish as she went through the steps and also provides the recipes! I would definitely recommend Gourmet Desire!

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank J4d31111
Reviewed May 31, 2015

I did the cooking lesson with Jyoti as part of an expat group and really liked the way Jyoti did the cooking lesson. Actually much more than a cooking lesson as it gave us an overview of the different quisines in India, the traditions, the spices, how knowledge is transferred from one generation to another etc.
Within 4 hours we prepared 8 fantastic dishes. The handout with the receipts were very usefull as it allowed us to simply add some variations or extra notes to the receipts.
I feel quite confident that I will be able to prepare the same dishes at home - supposing that I get all ingredient back home.
There are surely cheaper cooking lessons in Delhi. But the price I paid was worth every penny! You will enjoy the the fullest and will not regret anything (maybe except from eating too much because the food was simply addictive ;) ).
Thank you Jyoti for the great experience!

Date of experience: May 2015