“Wonderful experience”

Gourmet Desire
Ranked #5 of 205 Shopping in New Delhi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jyoti Agarwal - the culinary wiz behind Gourmet Desire, for the last few years, has held exclusive cooking classes in Delhi along with other food and cultural experiences for people visiting Delhi from around the globe. GD offers unique and curated homely experiences which make memories for life. We understand that 'time is money' and no one has leisure hours to spend in the kitchen therefore the idea is to make a delicious wholesome authentic Indian meal in a jiffy. Visit our website today to view our popular itineraries which can also be customized to suit individual requirements. So come sample the sights, sounds and aromas of Delhi with us!
Reviewed April 15, 2015

We enjoyed a wonderful cooking lesson with Jyoti on the last day of our holiday. We are a family with three teenage sons and my father, and we all love cooking. Our cooking experience with Gourmet Desire was the perfect ending to our holiday in India and we learnt so much. Jyoti was extremely helpful answering all my emails before the lesson, giving us lots of choice as to what sort of dishes we would like to cook, and she demonstrated and explained everything in her lovely home, making us feel very welcome. I would recommend this cooking experience to anyone wanting to learn more about the culture and the food of this fantastic country.

3  Thank Anon7300
"wonderful afternoon"
"chicken rogan josh"
"mustard oil"
in 3 reviews
"vegetarian and non vegetarian"
"an amazing cook"
"delicious dishes"
"learn how"
in 7 reviews
"north indian"
"learning how"
"cooking course"

Reviewed April 2, 2015

i recently signed up for a one day cooking class with jyoti in delhi. i went to her house in a nice neigborhood in delhi and spent a day with her cooking northern and southern indian recipes. what a great time! we started with northern indian recipes. she got me actively involved in creating several recipes...she offered multiple tips/tricks and i took copius notes! after we enjoyed the creations we cooked in the morning, we took a ride into delhi to buy spices in the spice market. then, after a quick side trip to a delhi tailor to get a custom suit jacket made for me, it was back to jyoti's house to cook a few southern india recipes and enjoyed a nice dinner with jyoti and her son before it was off to the airport to fly back home. she tailored the class to be exactly what i requested....overall a great day, something completely different from the normal tourist type of stuff...cooking all day with a local in her house...what a great time. jyoti was great! i could not have asked for a better day in delhi !!

3  Thank Rob O
Reviewed April 1, 2015

Jyoti cooking class was great.
After emailing her and booking our trip, she organised her driver to pick us up from our hotel (highly recommended) to take us back to her place to get cooking.
The dishes we cooked reminded me of food my Mum used to cook when I was a kid.
We also did the Spice Market and Shopping tour of Dilli Haat markets.
Highly recommend this cooking class.

5  Thank Kevinlab
Reviewed March 30, 2015 via mobile

Jyoti was a delightful host as she instructed my brother and I in the delights of home cooked Indian food in her own home. She talked through the background to Indian cuisine, the differences across the different areas of India and how a recipe is very much a unique taste which varies from home the home. Then following an introduction to the key Indian spices, she proceeded to talk us through the art of cooking 7-8 dishes and also gave us a chance to get 'stuck in' too. We finished by sharing the dishes we had cooked in a family meal with Jyoti and her son. A great experience and can't wait to get home and start practicing! Highly recommended.

2  Thank Thereisonly1Bradders
See more reviews
Reviewed February 21, 2015

My daughter found this class for us to take as we are both accomplished in the kitchen and love to make and eat good food. We loved it! We arrived 35 minutes late to the class because the cab driver got lost and then google maps had issues, but Jyoti adjusted everything to accommodate our late arrival. The class size was perfect -- just four of us -- another Mom and Daughter were in the class (they were a little put off by our delayed arrival). Jyoti made us feel totally welcome and at ease.

Jyoti was well prepared for our class (veggies pre-cut and ready to cook, etc.) and showed us how to cook everything we requested and then some! I really enjoyed the personal stories she told us about growing up in India and learning to cook from her mother and mother-in-law. Jyoti asked throughout the class if anyone wanted to help cook, but no one volunteered until close to the end of class. I was quite content to watch and take notes and learn the "Indian way!" The kitchen help was great -- they tended to the pressure cookers on the stove while we moved on to learning how to make other dishes on the patio. I'm a visual learner so I annotated the recipes where necessary for me to be able to make the recipes at home. Which I have! The recipes don't have amounts listed, but I am fine with that -- I learned that way from my Mom and Grandmother! I just jotted down approximate amounts on the side or the recipes.

Taking the class gave me the confidence to use new spices, mustard oil and a newly purchased pressure cooker (Hawkins 2 liter). I was inspired to buy two spice boxes and fill them with spices from the spice market. So far, I've made butter chicken, aloo gobi, and the green chutney. I even brought the aloo gobi into work for a pot luck and it got great reviews from the folks from India!

If I return to New Dehli, I will take another class with Jyoti!

4  Thank M W